The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 120 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#162891 - 10/16/08 05:08 PM Getting Back to Basics
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I'm introducing this new post in hopes that you'll share tips and helpful hints for those of us who want to "get back to the basics."

For starters---Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade veggie soup that they freeze? If so, please give the recipe and tell how you freeze it (including what containers you use, spices, etc...)

Or if you have a good way to freeze green beans, fresh asparagus, or other veggies, please share with us.

And it doesn't have to be freezing items. There's making your own dressings, canning, making preserves, and many more items you could share. What about growing your own herbs?

ANY item you feel would be "get back to the basics" , or fall somewhere in that category...PLEASE SHARE!

#162902 - 10/16/08 05:41 PM Re: Getting Back to Basics [Re: jawjaw]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Great idea! JJ...
When I freeze fruits and veggies, I just throw them in a freezer bag, without washing.
I'd like a soup recipe that can be home canned - in the event I do decide to learn.

#162914 - 10/16/08 06:32 PM Re: Getting Back to Basics [Re: gims]
Mountain Ash Offline

HALF CUP LENTILS OR YELLOW SPLIT PEAS
SOAK LENTILS IN WATER ( HALF A DAY)
1 1/2 HALF PINT STOCK
4 CARROTS diced
2 LEEKS sliced
1 POTATO diced

COOK ALL TOGETHER FOR THREE QUARTERS OF AN HOUR.
ADD
1 GRATED CARROT
PARSLEY
if freezing add last two ingredients before serving.
same recipe but brown rice instead of lentils
no need to soak rice.

add cooked diced chicken for last five minutes.

I use round boxes slightly smaller that my pan to freeze..for reheating
Can stand these boxes in warm water if in a hurry to use soup.
I always make double quantity.Just double the ingredients

#162916 - 10/16/08 06:39 PM Re: Getting Back to Basics [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mountain Ash Offline

spices for soup Jaw Jaw
BOUGHT AT HEALTH FOOD STORE.

Herbamare® Original

An original and unique Alfred Vogel formula, which perks up your recipes to salt your dishes the healthy way. Fresh organically grown plants are combined with sea salt and steeped for several months before being vacuum-dehydrated. This method ensures the ingredients' quality and flavour. Replaces table salt.

By far the most popular of the A.Vogel condiments, Herbamare has been a staple in Europe for decades. A brilliant blend of celery, leek, watercress, onions, chives, parsley, lovage, garlic, basil, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, and kelp, all organically grown.

Herbamare Original replaces dreary conventional table salt. Use it as a condiment to perk up your recipes or at every meal to salt your food the healthy way. Add after cooking to enhance taste!

A. Vogel Herbamare

Worth sourcing..

Edited by Mountain Ash (10/16/08 06:56 PM)

#162917 - 10/16/08 06:49 PM Re: Getting Back to Basics [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
I make a nummy veggie soup...and don't use a recipe so I haven't a clue to tell you how to make it! My son teases me without mercy 'cuz when he likes something I can't do it again 'cuz I "just throw in" what is handy and the spices on hand. Although onion, garlic, black pepper and salt and standards.

Crud...I knew I should have written down what I put in (grin). We cooked it in the crockpot, then divvied it up into freezer containers and when we defrosted it, it was sooooooooo good. I usually get the veggies on sale (except for onions...for some reason it isn't cooked by MR if it doesn't have onions!).

Not a lot of help, eh? Smile

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#162918 - 10/16/08 06:58 PM Re: Getting Back to Basics [Re: Mama Red]
Mountain Ash Offline

* 5 Carrots, peeled and diced
* 1 Onion, diced
* 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
* 2 medium Potatoes, peeled and diced
* 500ml Vegetable stock
* Freshly ground Black pepper
* 2 tbsp Tomato puree
* 200g tin of Butterbeans
* 2 tbsp Fresh parsley, chopped

Method

1. Lightly fry the onion and garlic until softened.
2. Add the stock, vegetables and parsley (don't add the butterbeans) to the onion, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes have cooked through.
3. Allow the soup to cool slightly, and blend two thirds of the soup.
4. Add the blended soup to the remaining vegetables, add the butterbeans and tomato puree and mix well.
5. Reheat the soup and serve immediately, garnished with a little chopped parsley if desired.

#162938 - 10/16/08 09:44 PM Re: Getting Back to Basics [Re: Mountain Ash]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

OMGosh! What great responses! You gals are something else!

MA--on the first recipe where you say you can add chicken. Do you add that after you have thawed out the soup? Or do you freeze the chicken in it? I'm just curious.

MR--if it don't have onion in it, why bother eating it? I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE onions. Could eat them for breakfast. And do when I make a casserole.

MA--I don't like butter beans...any suggestions for a substitute?

#162945 - 10/16/08 10:28 PM Re: Getting Back to Basics [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
JJ, you can literally freeze any vegetable. I clean mine first well, then usually dice and slice them except for corn on the cob which I freeze whole. Then lay the pieces out on a cookie sheet, put that in the freezer until the pieces all are hard, otherwise they will stick together in a hard lump! Now transfer them into plastic freezer bags, this way they freeze separately and you can scoop out as much as is needed for soups, casserols etc. That way you always have a nice supply you can add to as you use some.

I have spinach, green beans, peas, broccoli pieces, cauliflower and chinese mixed veges (already frozen when purchased) also carrots and mushrooms.

I like to throw a handful of frozen veges into my morning omelet.

There are so many good recipes already in the Favorite Recipe section if you'd want to go back and check. I like to from time to time.

Try white northern beans or baby lima beans.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#162952 - 10/17/08 01:04 AM Re: Getting Back to Basics [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Don't like lima's either. But I LOVE white beans, or Northern beans (I think that's what you call them)...so I'll try those.

So nobody uses aluminum foil to freeze veggies? I know I have on occasion and had no problems with it.

#162956 - 10/17/08 01:55 AM Re: Getting Back to Basics [Re: jawjaw]
chickadee Offline

JJ, I think aluminum foil won't give a vaccum seal if it gets knocked around in the freezer and food can lose quality.

Wish we were all closer so we could trade our wares like Meredith does.

Here's a guideline to start researching.

blanching/freezing veggies http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/he187w.htm

canning
http://www.freshpreserving.com/

SAFE HOME CANNING of fruits veggies and meats
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/nutrition/components/DJ0516section5.html

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved