The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#162540 - 10/13/08 06:29 PM Phone etiquette
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I may have posted about this long ago, but it still bugs me!

So many do not identify themselves, especially in business, when I call them. I always find myself saying "To whom am I speaking?"

Also, in personal calls, I have ADULT friends who, when DH answers, says, "Is Di there?" without mentioning who they are! I'll ask him who it is and he'll have no clue.

I was taught..."Hello (Jack or John or Sam), this is Di's friend from Michigan, is she available"?

Irritation sets in when simple etiquette is no longer used!! We learned in the early years of grammar school how to talk on the phone by watching a reel-to-real film on phone etiquette.

Please, if you phone ANYONE, identify yourself FIRST. And when we get calls, especially on the business line, I always say, "New Mexico Soap, this is Diane".

Edited by Di (10/13/08 06:30 PM)

#162541 - 10/13/08 06:39 PM Re: Phone etiquette [Re: Di]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Guilty as charged; I'll try to do better...

#162542 - 10/13/08 06:43 PM Re: Phone etiquette [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Same here....but in my defense, I always say, "it's me." Like the whole world knows who "me" is...bahahahah....

My pet peeve is that nobody asked me, "Is this a bad time?" or even "Are you busy?" This drives me nuts because if I'm tied up, I have to be the one to interrupt and say, "Gee, I'm sorry but I'm just on my way out the door," or "I would love to talk, can I call you later? Right now I have my head in the freezer trying to cool off."

PEOPLE------------ASK!

#162543 - 10/13/08 06:50 PM Re: Phone etiquette [Re: jawjaw]
Di Offline

I normally say "Do you have a few minutes to talk or shall I call you back?"

I'm w/you, JJ. Our generation should "know better".

Edited by Di (10/13/08 06:52 PM)

#162551 - 10/13/08 07:34 PM Re: Phone etiquette [Re: Di]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Di, you are so right! I think that a couple of generations missed some manners training or conveniently forgot it. We had a man call from the cable company the other night and my husband answered. All he said was "yeah, let me speak to Jane." Surprisingly Frank handed me the phone but was peeved. As I started talking, Frank said loudly near the phone....."remind him that when he calls a married woman, to identify himself!!" He was NOT happy. And to think that this was a company representative! I guess we've all done something weird like this but it's a super reminder to mind our manners when phoning! Thanks!

#162555 - 10/13/08 07:53 PM Re: Phone etiquette [Re: ladyjane]
Di Offline

DH's big quote is "We must lead by example".

I know we get "weary in well-doing", but if we can effect change in ANY WAY, we must do it!

Edited by Di (10/13/08 08:05 PM)
Edit Reason: Typographical error

#162651 - 10/14/08 09:47 PM Re: Phone etiquette [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
My pet peeve is when people call and I say hello, and then nothing...until a few seconds passes and then a recording. I know this is different than what we're talking about, but it burns me up. If I hear nothing when I answer, I immediately hang up.

I get a kick out of it when I call someone and they see the caller ID and answer, "Hey Dots."

I've also played games with people when I see their name on caller ID and have said things like, "We don't want any."

Probably rude, but just having some fun.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved