The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 163 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#162520 - 10/13/08 04:58 PM Re: When family is far away [Re: keyholes]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
keyholes, your mention of being sent to your aunt's home brings back memories.

Both parents were born and raised in Baltimore. Mom was from a family of nine and dad, five. Only one of those siblings ever left town and that was my aunt who moved to Florida. I recall when she moved. You would have thought she was taking Mom's right arm. They were so close. She's the aunt whose home I went to in first grade when I faked being sick and Mom couldn't get to me.

While growing up, most Saturday afternoons, Dad visited his brothers and sisters. Whoever wanted to go along for the ride, did. I have such fond memories of those afternoons where I literally almost ate my way through the day. Home made peanut butter cookies at Aunt Eve's, Utz potato chips at Uncle Mike's, candy at Uncle Emmett's and the list went on.

The aunts, uncles and cousins always had Christmas parties, and parties on Memorial Day, the 4th of July and Labor Day. The kids ran wild while the parents ate and drank together. Those are some great memories of the 60s and 70s. Now families are fairly spread out. I am from a family of five children. One sister lives out of town. And four of the five of us have at least one child living out of town. It's so rare that the whole fmaily gets together which I find rather sad.

#162954 - 10/17/08 01:21 AM Re: When family is far away [Re: Dotsie]
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
Ah...I remember Mohr's soda pop, Charlie's Chips, and Buckeye Beer (brewed in Toledo) or Stroh's beer (fire-brewed in Detroit). There was always some uncle moaning or arguing about which was the better of the two beers LOL. But...there was always a big wash tub or two filled with ice and their favorite beer in the backyard if was summer or in the garage or refrigerator in the winter.

We did much of the same thing...the family get-togethers, the family partying til midnight and beyond, letting all of us siblings and cousins have sleepovers while the adults carried on with their cards and jokes til the wee hours...We kids had a field day with all of the different colors and flavors of Mohr's soda pop and all of the Charlie Chips we could eat, and that was before the moms, aunts, and grandmothers pulled a feast together of something wonderful.

Times were much different in the 60s and 70s when I was a young girl. Times have changed, and I can't say it's for the worse. There are so many different opportunities out there now. But still, there are times I miss that cohesiveness. It is sort of sad a lot of families don't have that...how many families actually sit down at get to know each other any longer just doing simple, fun things like that? Playing penny poker until 2 am or calling them to say "take a walk over here, I just put on a hot dinner and have some cold beer to share?" Not many.

Edited by keyholes (10/17/08 01:26 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved