The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 160 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#160091 - 09/17/08 01:33 AM Applying colour to your hair.
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I was working at the hospital the other day and a nurse knew my grandmother owner a hair salon so she asked me some questions about tinting her hair.

Her problem was so common I thought I would put it here too.

Her problem was that her temples, the area around the ear, became gray before the rest of her hair. Although she had gray other places, the hair at the temples showed gray first and a lot.

She used two colors on her hair, a dark brown and a dark red. She also asked me about applying red to her temples.

I told her that if she applied red to her temples, they would most likely be redder than the rest of her hair since there was concentrated hair there.

I told her that if she got her colour from a place like "Sallys," and bought the color and the developer separate, it would work better.

All she needed to do when her temples were getting gray again before the rest of her hair was to just use the amount of color needed. She could mix a small amount and apply it with a brush or even tooth brush and when it was done tinting, all she had to do was rince that part of her hair off and condition it and she would be ready to go!

although, as I've said before, those tints have metal content and salon colour is the best, if you are going to do your own hair, you should go to a beauty supply and get the color and the developer separte. (Always a 20 developer unless you are bleaching.)

I thought I'd put this here in case anyone else has that problem with their temples. I know I do. Also, you can do just your part and save some days too if you mix just a bit. You should not tint all of your hair unless you wait three months between colors. You can spot color in the way above and save time. This way she could dye her temples while getting ready for work and be ready to rinse it when she was finished with everything else.

Just offering up another tip!

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#160098 - 09/17/08 09:28 AM Re: Applying colour to your hair. [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I guess I should thank my lucky stars. My hair is a soft brown and at the temples now it is a white gray also along the side bang at my forehead. My own hairstylist accused me of having color done by someone else. I never did! What I did do just recently (Dancing Dolphin saw it) was have it frosted with a platinum blonde which blends with the white/gray so well and doesn't look colored at all. I am excited about the color for the first time in years and plan to keep it this color.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#160102 - 09/17/08 12:06 PM Re: Applying colour to your hair. [Re: chatty lady]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
My problem is how (and when) to STOP coloring my hair. I've been coloring my hair for almost 20 years and am thinking sooner or later I need to just accept the gray. My natural color (before gray) was dark brown, almost black, and that's what I've been coloring it all along -- my eyebrows are still that color and I have olive skin tone. I have memories of when my Mom quit coloring her hair, she just let it grow out and she looked like a skunk for a long time, she kept claiming she didn't care (wouldn't spend the money to do anything about it) but I DO CARE and don't want to walk around with half my head gray/white and half black. Even though I wear my hair short, it would take quite a while to get rid of all the dyed part. Talked to my hairdresser about this at my last haircut and she said she can actually remove the color and then apply color to make it all gray so that as the natrual gray grows in it just blends in and looks natural. But she also made me promise if I decided to do this I wouldn't break down in tears when I saw the final result (I told her I'm not making any such promises!) Haven't made the decision yet but it's definitely something I'm thinking about. Also have been thinking that I should go to a wig shop and find a grey wig similar to my hair style and try it on just to see how I look and see if I'm really ready for the change. Has anybody else gone thru this process, or how did you get out of the hair coloring cycle?
I've asked several friends how what they think and everybody's reaction is I should keep coloring my hair but they've never seen me as anything but a brunette. I asked my husband and his reaction is always to keep coloring it.........I think he thinks that if I look older it will reflect on him!!

#160151 - 09/17/08 08:32 PM Re: Applying colour to your hair. [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

The wig idea is a good one, this way you'll know before you do anything drastic. What about trying to lighten it a shade at a time until it is a softetr shade of your existing color, maybe then at a later date have it highlighted and this way the gray can blend in naturally and not looked colored or take as much time and money to keep up...

#160153 - 09/17/08 08:48 PM Re: Applying colour to your hair. [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
dancer9 Offline

Crosstitchqueen,
There are two things I would say about going to gray:
One is that some people look great in gray hair no matter what their age. They can look young, even with gray hair, and it works well for them, they look different and, again, young.
The second thing I would say is that now days many women NEVER go gray. They may put some blond in their hair as Chatty has, or go completely blond, which caused their gray grow out show less. Still they keep tinting though.

A technique to trying gray is to weave your color into your hair, leaving some out to stay gray. That way you go gradually gray and don't suddenly go gray.

Do you have ALL gray hair? If not, you will still have to deal with two colours. Most times we have color left in our hair and do not go completely gray until very late in life. If you have all gray hair now, it would be a look to consider. Weaving the tint in with your hairdressers help is one way to go.

Are you tired of dark hair? You can go blond, or to blond highlights, again, like Chatty did, and your gray areas will not show so much when they grow back in. You may be ready for a lighter color.

Last, do you want to go gray because you feel your age says you should? If that is the case, then don't do it for that! Again, many women never go gray. You could move to a lighter shade of brown, ( I have dark, dark brown hair too.) the lighter brown could be all over or just as highlights. There is also the idea of using two colors in your hair that are close, (two browns would look nice,) and put one brown on top of your head, like dye a high pony tail of hair, leaving out your bangs, sides and bottom hair. You can then dye the bangs, sides and bottom another complimentary shade.

Whew, with all that said, why do you want to go gray?

Dancer

#160159 - 09/17/08 11:13 PM Re: Applying colour to your hair. [Re: dancer9]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Why do I want to go gray? Ummm. well, I don't know.......just a thought......tired of coloring my hair, dealing with gray roots, and part of it is the age thing........it just doesn't seem that I can keep doing this forever, you know?
I don't know if I have all grey hair.......from the looks of my roots, it's pretty darned close though.
I can't picture myself as a blond.......my hair has always been dark. I'm not really tired of my dark hair.....it fits my skin tone (another reason I find it hard to picture myself as a blond or anything much lighter, my natural hair color before gray started coming in was almost black) I think it's just mostly the age thing and thinking that sooner or later, I've got to quit coloring.
I've asked a couple of friends what they thought and they all looked shocked and said "no way! don't do it!" so I think I might forget the idea for a few more years anyway.

#160185 - 09/18/08 08:08 AM Re: Applying colour to your hair. [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Mountain Ash Offline

I am allowing a gradual grey to evolve.Keep in mind I am a 1946 boomer.So accepting my status is part of my choice.
Keeping the roots as they should be was an ongoing task latterly.Nothing looks as bad as pibald in my opinion.
My hair was as dark brown as it could be without being black.
I spent a few years with a lighter shade before deciding to become slowly grey.
My peer group vary in what they are doing...the fair haired remain blonde and its really nice.Many Scots are red haired and their hair fades early.Mostly they have blonde streaks. Some dark friends are putting red in their hair and others like me are au natural.
Some have needed to wear bandanas and when their hair grows after therapy it is a reason for joy.One friends hair is curly now.
I did not consider my age when I choose not to tint I considered my hair and the rate it needed touched up.
Mountain ash

#160480 - 09/21/08 08:25 PM Re: Applying colour to your hair. [Re: Mountain Ash]
dancer9 Offline

Ann, I would argue that you shouldn't get caught up in the age trap! No one decides at what age anyone should have grey hair, if ever! Some have beautiful white gray hair and what to show it off and others don't like the colour of their gray so they decide to color!

We are programmed to believe that once we are a certain age it is vain and wrong to care about what we look like. This is wrong and it hurts self esteem.

If the boomer women are saying one thing, they are saying, "I'm not my mother," and that includes wearing certain clothing and going gray. Why should we? We are still creative and strong women who can express ourselves through our hair and clothes just as much as we did in our twenties!

Models are getting contracts at 50 and 60 years old because we want to see "real."

However you are prettiest and feel the best is how you should design yourself. Old thought patterns be damned, we make the rules, we are the boomers!

Dancer

#160532 - 09/22/08 01:29 AM Re: Applying colour to your hair. [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

BRAVO to that!!!

I so agree Dancer and hate when people try to stereotype women because of their age. Most women I know have an ageless beauty, like me, LOL!!!!!!!!!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved