The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#15984 - 09/23/03 03:48 PM habits?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Curious to know about habits.

Do you have the same habits about caring for yourself now as you did when you were a teen?

If so, why do you think?

If not, why not, and how did you change those habits?

#15985 - 09/23/03 10:47 PM Re: habits?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
okay...I'll start since no one else is going to. I have a habit of thinking I can STILL do everything just like I use to. Only when I go to do it, I find out that old age says "no no." Then I become frustrated and end up doing a messy job.

I also have a habit of making a joke out of everything. I know...I know...you have never noticed that about me...geezz..SEE? I'm doing it again. Coping mechanism? probably...but, it works for me.

One more...I have a habit of taking on TOO MUCH! Right now there is the threat of closing a Children's Advocacy Center in a town 60 miles west of here and I can't stand it! I have thought about it all day and want to find a way to keep it open. Hey....I don't even live there! But, last year alone it service over 400 children. What will the children in need do now?

#15986 - 09/24/03 01:32 AM Re: habits?
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
I have the habit of thinking I still have a Suzy Shier size body (aka extremely thin and no hips) when I don't anymore.... [Smile]

Actually, I'm more more confident, more relaxed, and more comfortable being me than I was when I was a teenager.....I wouldn't want to be teenage me again.

#15987 - 09/24/03 03:51 PM Re: habits?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I have been trying to figure out if my habits are any different about diet and exercise from when I was a teen.

I heard someone say recently that often our habits go back to our teen years. Wait a minute...I thought, I was once a teen and I don't know about those habits. Also, I have three teens and now I am really thinking about their diet and exercise habits. Do you think they change through the years?

My diet was horrendous when I was a teen! [Eek!] I didn't eat breakfast, ate cheese curls and chocolate eclairs for lunch, and prior to my afternoon basketball practice or after school activities I ate another vending machine snack, and then I ate a well balanced dinner when I got home.

Boy, I'd love to eat like that now. Well maybe I'd substitute potato chips for cheese curls! [Razz]

My diet has most definitely changed but only through discipline...ewww! Also, having two diabetics in the family helps. Since getting married 24 years ago, I always have 3 meal a day.

As far as exercise goes, I was always a busy girl. However when it wasn't basketball season, I wasn't out getting any formal exercise. I didn't run, jog, walk, whatever...I was just active.

I have learned as an adult that if I don't get my walks in, I ache, get stiff, tense, and antsy. Therefore, exercising is key for me!

How bout you?

#15988 - 09/24/03 03:56 PM Re: habits?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Also, jawjaw, I had that habit of thinking I could do everything and had to save the world single-handidly(sp?).

IF no one else would do it, I'd offer. I started programs, spearheaded this and THAT!

I started learning a couple years ago to say no.

One of the beauties of saying no is that it allows someone else to get involved by their saying yes.

Get my gist?

I find this especially true at church. I am already involved, strengthening my faith, seeking God, blah, blah, blah. By saying no at church, it allows someone else to get closer to the church by saying yes, and then they are given opportunities to grow their faith too.

Get it?

Same goes for neighborhood...and things 60 MILES WEST!

#15989 - 09/24/03 04:15 PM Re: habits?
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
Saying no is all part of learning to set your boundaries, and then not feeling guilty about setting them. I think thats something we are constantly learning and adjusting.

As far as diet/exercise habits - sure I think you can change them. I think, I hope, we learn as we get older that we have to change them! When your a teenager, you don't think of long term effects - your immortal at that age. As you get older, hopefully wiser and more disciplined you think about these things. Some people will never change their habits, others are more driven to improve their health and feel better. Again, discipline is a key word - not everyone will want to commit to that level of discipline......

#15990 - 09/24/03 05:48 PM Re: habits?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I have no discipline. Nada...zip...I can't help it.

I'm fluffy. But cute. Give me "Gone with the Wind" and I think I have to have pickled-flavored chips and a greasey burger to watch it. I know you all are gonna read about me dying at a young age because I'm hopeless. Besides...bet they have burgers and chips in Heaven...and Elvis.

#15991 - 09/24/03 06:48 PM Re: habits?
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Going back to the teen years. That would be fun if I could change some things. Eating-I didn't like to eat then and loved Hot dogs,eggs, cherry colas. Of course at home we had a balanced diet.
After school sometimes we had french fries and a cherry coke. I did drink a lot of water. The kids would laugh because I never could pass up a drinking fountain. They all knew why I was late to class I'd end up in the bathroom.
we lived close to the schools until I was fifteen so I walked everywhere, was a skinny minny. We practiced our batons every evening and then in the community groups on Saturday so I was
an active teen.
Maggie
I have learned to drive and go anywhere, with the diabetes have gone back to walking and eating a balanced diet. If I went back to teen age
years I would eat better but as I watch my family
they don't eat right either.

#15992 - 09/25/03 12:03 AM Re: habits?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Just a quick note to say the Director of the child's center just wrote me and said they were able to come up with enough funding to last another three months! Pray does work, heh? Wonderful! [Big Grin] I told him to file me under "Enforcer" and call on me if he needed a fundraiser volunteer. I know..I know...I'm an idiot...but...it is worth it. [Roll Eyes]

#15993 - 09/25/03 02:59 PM Re: habits?
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
I was a chubby middle schooler who suddenly became model thin as a highschooler for no reason other than hormones, I'm sure. In high school I ate greasy Ginos fries dipped in chocolate milk shakes. But I was going, going, going all the time. I worked, I played sports, I danced, and I walked everywhere because I didn't drive. If I walked half as much now as then I could still eat fries dipped in shakes. I also thought, then and now, that I could save, mend, fix the world. I'm still trying to do it....probably why my diet now consists of coffee, nicotine, paxil and prevacid.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved