The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#15876 - 05/24/03 04:09 PM Re: Diabetes!!!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Going food shopping today. I'll be making a mental list to post here for you Candice. [Wink]

[ May 24, 2003, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#15877 - 05/24/03 05:30 PM Re: Diabetes!!!
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
I was diagnosed with diabetes when I had my hysterectomy in 1996. My blood sugar soared to over 400 after a meal at Western Sizzlin'. While I was in the hospital, the doctors had me on a sliding scale insulin. The Diabetes Instructor met with me a couple of times to counsel me on my diet and exercise. I was introduced to a diabetes support group, and left the hospital on a low carb diet. To help myself avoid the candy I loved, I imagined or superimposed an insulin syringe over the candy bar wrapper. I didn't want to be on insulin and every candy bar I ate put me that much closer to having to take insulin. I lost 35 lbs in the first month, but then I went back to work and the fast food diet gradually returned until I gained the weight back. I try to resist temptation, but too often give in to it. I check my blood sugar several times a week. It varies from 97 to 200, so I am not in the best control yet. I take glucatrol XL and glucaphage twice a day, and chromium picolinate once a day.
I found that instead of ice cream and puddings, that yogurt with fruit was a lower carb treat, and that is even better tasting with a few crunchies on top, either crushed peanuts, cereal, or whatever you wish to add texture.
Before I eat a meal, I try to drink at least 8 oz. of water. Most people do not drink enough water in their diets. I also like to start my meals with a large salad, which takes up a lot of room in my stomach, so I do not crave the sweets at the end of a meal. In fact, after a while of eating a salad first, you often are unable to complete the main meal, let alone eat dessert. If I do eat dessert, I try to eat fresh fruit rather than rich sweet fatty foods.
I would encourage anyone diabetic, or cooking for a diabetic, to join the ADA (American Diabetes Association). It costs $25 per year and you get a wonderful magazine, Diabetes Today, which has scrumptious recipes, news on new therapies, offers for diabetes testing equipment and supplies, and articles on famous and not so famous diabetics who have learned how to control their disease. There is even a pen pal list where you can make new friends with others who share your problems.
Most communities have diabetes support groups available through your local hospitals. Check newspapers, the Yellow Pages, and hospital bulletin boards, or your primary physician for further details.
I hope this information is of help to someone. I would have to say that having the disease myself has given me a completely different outlook on the patients I care for. I can empathize with them, and understand what they are going through. It has also given me incentive to fight the disease in myself as I see the terrible consequences of ignoring the disease. Amputations, strokes, heart attacks, blindness, all can be avoided by following the experts' advice.
Sheesh...another book by countrygirl...sorry.

#15878 - 05/27/03 05:25 PM Re: Diabetes!!!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Countrygirl, great post...I like your books!

I was thinking about Candice and her suggestion for a food list while I was food shopping this weekend.

Here are a few items that work:

Breakfast-
Product 19 cereal
Special K bars
Nutri Grain bars

Lunch-
turkey, tuna, chicken breast, roast beef
salads with lite dressings, no croutons (croutons are carbs too)
Pepperidge Farm makes great lite breads. There is a big difference in sandwiches when you use a lite bread, also lite mayo.
If you must crunch, Lay's makes a great fat free chip called their Wow chip.
Another thing to crunch on is Quaker's Quakes rice snacks. They come in chocolate and bar-b-q.
Pickles are harmless too.
Apples are good because they aren't as sweet as other fruits.
Lite canned fruit is good too.

Dinner-
Lots of chicken and fresh veggies. I think one of the biggest things to remember is to cook with seasonings instead of butter and cream sauces. Spices make all the difference in the world!

Pizza is really bad because of the crust, so are fried foods.

Just like when dieting, portions make a big difference in controlling a diabetics blood sugar.

SO much to think about!

One thing that you need to remember too, that some don't think about is all the sugar in juices. Juices are not good for diabetics. Drinking a nice glass of orange juice in themorning can get the blood sugar going before you even think about it. You can waste a whole bunch of carbs in a glass of juice. There are some lite ones on the market that are good. Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved