The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#158774 - 09/04/08 11:26 PM When does it end.
morninglory Offline

I know I'll never stop missing my Dad. I don't want to.

But, when do I become myself again?
I use to join in at work all the time, usually having my friends laughing at something I've said. Have always been the jokester more or less---just enjoy making everyone laugh.

But, now I just go to work,
stay to myself,---try to put in a word here or there,
but it doesn't come easy anymore.
Will it?
Have I changed forever?
I miss me.

Home life is just as hard, trying not to bring everyone else down is a chore. I'm trying tho.

#158776 - 09/04/08 11:49 PM Re: When does it end. [Re: morninglory]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Morning Glory, Oh, I hear you! Many of us here are still grieving heavy losses, and have been wondering the same thing. I don't think there's any way of ever going back to the way you were before. In another thread I talked about "normal", how (in my experience) there are two "normals"...pre-loss normal, and post-loss normal - and how once you've lost a significant loved one, you can never go back to the pre-loss normal again. Everything has changed.

That doesn't mean we don't find our way through to a new normal that we can live within, it just means that for a long time, there's an unbearable tension or conflict in us...we yearn for the way things used to be, but deep inside we know they're gone forever. Somehow (I'm still figuring it out for myself) we crawl through the grief to find a way to co-exist with the terrible hole(s) that are inside of us - those holes never go away. But they do get easier to live with.

How long has it been since your Dad died? Mine died in 1999 (and my Mom in 2001 and my brother in 2007) and there are days when the agony of absence is unbearable. But it's not only my loved ones I miss, it's everything: the way things used to be, the way our family used to be, the family gatherings, Christmas, so many future plans we had all made that included my brother - EVERYTHING has changed, without our consent, leaving us with a terrible emptiness we don't know how to fill. Yes, you have changed - forever. Right now it might feel joyless and empty, it did for me too, for far too long, and I'm still not all back yet (will I ever be?!! I don't know!) But I do know that we do have to keep moving, one foot ahead of the other, crawling through those harder days...eventually we do make it through to that "new normal" - I suppose in some ways it feels like "settling" for second-best, but what else can we do? At some point in the journey we have to accept that we have to accept this "second-best" reality and make new choices, new plans, new futures, new traditions - a new normal that brings as much joy as possible.

For me, I've had to really focus on positive thinking and gratitude, it's the only way I could keep myself from sinking too far down into the agony of absence.

Come here often and talk, there are many of us here who continue to grieve and search our way through.

(Maya Angelou)

#158793 - 09/05/08 03:21 AM Re: When does it end. [Re: Eagle Heart]
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Morninglory -

Eagle speaks from the heart AND experience.

Know you are not alone on your journey - that you have sisters that grieve along side of you - that can identify with your deep loss!

Let the tears flow!

hugs,

danita

My most recent story for my mom:
http://www.heritagemakers.com/projectBro...tSponsor=384221

#158859 - 09/05/08 08:42 PM Re: When does it end. [Re: Danita]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Morninglory, you needn't ever stop missing your dad, my dad is gone, my two husbands are both gone and I have been alone for many many years now but to me missing them, which I still do to this day is the same as loving them and remembering them. So go ahead miss him...But when you do if you follow this one rule it can be a [pleasant experience. Everytime you think of and miss your dad, think of something about him that made you smile, laugh even and enjoy the moment...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#159570 - 09/12/08 12:28 AM Re: When does it end. [Re: chatty lady]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Morninglory, there's great advice here. I had to go on antidepressants for 6 months when my dad died. I still miss him and think about him and talk to him and yell at him every day. My mom passed a long time before he did and I don't feel like my mourning has stopped.

Their passing left gaping holes in my heart. But go on I do, sometimes crying, sometimes laughing.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#159749 - 09/13/08 09:32 PM Re: When does it end. [Re: Saundra]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Does mourning ever end? I wonder about that.

When you think of how long a parent was in our lives, or I should say, we were in theirs, when they pass its as if there is a big part of us thats gone.

I wilkl say that until my dad has been gone as long as he was in my life, I will probably mourn. I try to put a positive spin on his being gone though because a negative one won't bring him back and the positive ones I choose to remember about him make me smile.

Mourning can be a healthy uplifting emotion or a unhealthy negative one, you decide! I believe with all my heart that crying is a cleansing of the soul.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved