The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15866 - 05/15/03 06:25 PM Diabetes!!!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Today I took my daughter for her diabetes check-up. Diet and exercise are the words for the day! [Mad]

Sorry, but I am pretty angry that she has this disease. I know God has a bigger plan, but I sure can't figure it out.

As many of you have read in here, my husband is a Type I, and daughter a Type II.

Daughter doesn't must control by diet and exercise, diet and exercise. You tell a teenager that when everywhere she turns there are snack machines, soda machines, parties and dances with Doritos, chips, M&M's, etc. I feel so sorry for her!

Today the doctor dropped the bomb that she will one day, more than likely, have to take insulin. I wasn't ready for that and neither was she. With tears in our eyes we sat there listening to the doctor explain that no matter how hard we work at this, there are times that the body just doesn't cooperate on the inside. How fair is that?

Thanks for listening. Any suggestions???

#15867 - 05/15/03 06:53 PM Re: Diabetes!!!
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Dotsie,

The best thing she has going for her is the example she has in her father. He is the most disciplined person I know of when it comes to taking care of himself. I was always amazed how he could sit at some of our family parties with my one Aunt's desserts and hearing about how good they are and not want to just take the whole plate away from us and hoard it all for himself somewhere.

Unfortantely, your daughter is at the age where it really is up to her. Your not at the parties to tell her to think twice about the Doritos and M&M's. You could possibly help guide her as to what would motivate her. For some people being scared of having to use needles is wnough, for others it's something else. I think that would be the best thing to help her figure out.

I think it's unfortunate that the doctor told her she will end up taking insulin. Even if he is right, I know it wouldn't give me much incentive to try to be vigilant about the diet and exercise. I think it might be beneficial to get the doctor involved in figuring out what would motivate your daughter to do the diet and exercise stuff. Your husband could also maybe think of somethings, since he's been through all of this.

Good Luck!

#15868 - 05/19/03 03:21 PM Re: Diabetes!!!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Thanks for your thoughts. Being a teen is hard enough without having to deal with a disease. She is a tough cookie though and I have great confidence that she can turn this around. She was so disciplined for so long. The doctor just said that she took a vacaton form her diabetes and he is right. I don't blame her at all! Hopefully though she will only take mini vacations in the future that might not be as detrimental to her health. She is back to the exercise, diet, and blood testing! URRRGGGG!
Such hard work, but great disciplines in the long run. I swear my husband is a much healthier person because of his diabetes. [Big Grin]

#15869 - 05/21/03 06:24 AM Re: Diabetes!!!
Dana Offline

Loc: USA
Actually, I take care of a lady who has specific dietary needs which are preventative for diabetes and the hardest thing isn't just the sugar. Learning to eat a balanced diet is very difficult if you aren't used to it. Sodium is something most people don't watch for. Lots of people don't realize how high there diet is in carbohydrates either.
I hope your daughter will be able to look into some of the new testing equipment which will allow her to test on her arm and other less sensitive areas. Also, I hope that she will go through extensive diabetes instruction and education. My sister is a diabetic care nurse and there is a lot to learn.
There are so many wonderful websites.
[Wink]

#15870 - 05/21/03 03:32 PM Re: Diabetes!!!
caloona Offline

Loc: baltimore
I'm reading Oprah's "Make the Connection".The message being making the decision to do what's best for yourself and your health through learning to love yourself. Hard message for teens to grasp yet I wonder if there is a book or newsletter out there for teens with the same "health message".Know of any.Would be good for me to have available for my 7th and 8th graders.

#15871 - 05/21/03 05:24 PM Re: Diabetes!!!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Caloona, Check out these two sites for magazines/newsletters for keeping youth girls healthy:

www.newmoon.org
www.bluejeanonline.com

I just found out about them through working on my book project. Please spread the word to the girls and their parents! Also, pop back in and let me know what you think. [Wink]

#15872 - 05/22/03 10:45 AM Re: Diabetes!!!
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
Dotsie -- I truly believe my husband is alive and healthy today because of diabetes.

He was a walking ticking time bomb in his 30's and 40's -- smoked -- overweight -- horrible eating habits -- with a family history that would make most healthy people run for cover. Then he found out he was Type II diabetic. He was determined not to go on insulin so he changed his whole life. He lost 30 lbs the first few months due to changing his eating habits -- he quit smoking, exercises regularly, eats well and because of all of this --not only has he controlled his blood sugar -- he doesn't have sleep apnea, irregular heart beats, or even snore anymore. He's healthier at 55 then he has been in his entire life. And he'll be the first one to tell you -- he doesn't really miss anything he ate or drank in the past that much.

Now adays the market is flooded with good foods and treats for people with diabetes. Nillawafer turned him on to a sugarless chocolate candy by Nestle -- Weight Watchers and Lean Cuisine and many other companies have candy, cookies,cakes and ice cream treats that taste just as good as the treats loaded with sugar. My hubby and I take our time when we go shopping -- searching out all the new items out for diabetics -- it can be a new adventure for the two of you if you make it one.

You're angry that your baby has an illness. Understandable -- but, you also say you know God has a plan. Perhaps by having diabetes -- your daughter will change her lifestyle that will prevent her from having breast or ovian cancer, heart disease or stroke. Look at the big picture and you might see that this was indeed a blessing in disquise. Like you say -- candy machines and snacks everywhere you look -- I would venture to say in the, not so far, future we will see less and less of the junk machines and more and more of the good healthy snack machines. It's taken quite awhile, but look how we've turned on cigarettes and drinking and drugs -- maybe diabetes will have society turning on junk foods next [Smile] Who knows, by your daughters example -- her friends may just avoid future illness too !!

I believe their is a passage in the bible somewhere that states that your body is a temple ?? All diabetes has done is shown your daughter that she needs to take better care of it [Smile] She will take her cue from you -- if you treat this as an "illness" it will become one -- if you say Thank You God for saving my life -- it will become a lifestyle that will probably do just that !!

I agree that her doctor didn't give her much incentive to try -- personally -- I would find a different doctor -- we changed my husband's doctor for just the same reason.

You HAVE to have a positive attitude and be surrounded with positive attitudes to make a difference !!

#15873 - 05/22/03 04:14 PM Re: Diabetes!!!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

You are right, I am being a whiner! I am glad for the kick in the *&^ that I needed.

I couldn't agree with you more that this is a blessing in disguise as far as living a healthy lifestyle. I have said the very same words that you have said about my own husband.

He was diagnosed with Type I when we were dating. He now does 4-5 shots a day. When all this began he only did one shot per day. He is extremely healthy. By the grace of God his doctors still tell him after his physical that if they didn't know he was a diabetic before his physical, they sure wouldn't be able to tell by his examination.

I know, as you do too, we changed our eating, drinking, and exercising habits way back when. Who knows what his health would be like if we hadn't made those changes.

I am glad your hubby took the disease seriously and made the changes that have allowed him a healthier lifestyle. My husband is an eye doctor and has many patients with diabetes. Many of those patients have not made the proper adjustments and have serious vision and circulation problems. This is what makes it hard for him to know our daughter has the same disease. He knows first hand plus... he sees it in his patients!

I am happy to announce that my daughter's blood results weren't as bad as we thought. [Big Grin] She did take a vacation from her diabetes, but realizes the vacation is over. She is back on her path of healthy eating, exercising, and blood testing.

Thank you for the reminders. I am grateful you care enough to share. [Wink]

#15874 - 05/23/03 07:19 AM Re: Diabetes!!!
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
This is all really encouraging to hear with my husband trying to figure out what he has to do about the diabetes stuff. Now that I feel supoprted, I'd liked to get some actual practical tips. How's about a grocery list or sample menus from lionpaaws or Dotsie?

#15875 - 05/24/03 02:31 PM Re: Diabetes!!!
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
well my hubby happens to be a sandwich freak -- so it's easy to feed him -- Publix Deli subs [Big Grin]

but there are sooooo many good foods out there -- and being that diabetes is the number one illness for Americans with 100's of thousands of diabetics running around -- and all the emphasis on good health now -- the food manufactures know that this is the "food chain" group they need to start targeting.

The biggest thing we learned, when this was first diagnosed, was how much carbs breakdown into "bad" sugars. Now we look at the carb content before the sugar content on labels. If you enjoy cooking -- go to the library or book store and get any one of hundreds of great diabetic cookbooks and enjoy [Smile]

Dotsie -- I'm soooo happpy for your daughter -- a good sugar report will keep her looking FORWARD --
and after awhile -- she'll get to "know her body" so well that she will KNOW when her sugar isn't right. Every once and awhile I'll see hubby checking his sugar (which he doesn't have to do regularly anymore) and he'll say that he felt he needed to check his sugar -- and sure enough -- he'll be low -- it won't take much time for her either I would bet !! He's determined to CONTROL his diabetes -- not have it control him [Smile]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved