The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 138 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#158277 - 08/31/08 06:03 PM Life Coaches
hotflashgal Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Hi Ladies,

Does anyone have any experiences regarding life coach training?

#158279 - 08/31/08 06:15 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: hotflashgal]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I would be interested in following this as well. When you google Life Coach, lots of education & certification sites crop up, but how would one know which to choose? And, if you've got a certification, how do you collect clients/ We have lots of life coaches on BWS/NABBW. PL

#158281 - 08/31/08 06:17 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: hotflashgal]
gims Offline

Loc: USA

Ever since I joined BWS, where I learned of life coaching, I've been interested in consulting with one. I've even bookmarked several locals on my pc.

I can't wait to hear what others have to say in response to your question, hotflashgirl.

#158292 - 08/31/08 07:03 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: gims]
Princess Lenora Offline

Hi Gims, I hope the LCs pick up this thread soon. I am eager to hear too. In my case, I don't want to consult one, I wanted to be a LC. This, on the heels of being social worker, which was way too sad and desperate for me to take on a daily basis. For LC, I have a specialty in mind. A couple of years ago I did research on LC, but did not know how to set it up. Do you read Martha Beck's column in Oprah magazine? She's a life coach, and I think she teaches life coach.

#158297 - 08/31/08 07:26 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Princess Lenora]
Princess Lenora Offline

Gims, on BWS, go to "user list" (see above) and scroll under "occupation" and you can see who has been listed as a life coach.

#158298 - 08/31/08 07:26 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Princess Lenora]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I rarely read magazines, but I'll check it out. Seems like the life coach market has been flooded. I think you'd be a good one, though. What does the training involve?

#158299 - 08/31/08 07:29 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Princess Lenora]
Princess Lenora Offline

Hotflash, the above was a suggestion for you too, but I forgot to address you, and my edit feature had me timed out. Sorry

#158367 - 08/31/08 11:18 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Princess Lenora]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Hi Ladies

I am a life coach, although since I am so busy dealing with life these days, I do not practice.

If you are interested in training, check out the International Coaching Federation website. They are the ones who determine which coach training organizations are the best.

I went to training in Sonoma, CA. I absolutely loved my training. It is as much about improving yourself, as learning to help others figure out what they want. If you want the name of the coach training I went through, pm me and I will put you in touch with them.

I will be happy to share what I have learned over the years about training, what coaching is, how to find a coach, etc.,if anyone wants to know.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#158371 - 08/31/08 11:33 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Anno]
Princess Lenora Offline

Anno, I for one have been interested in being certified as a life coach, for at least 5 years. I'm sorry to hear you cannot practice something you like to do. I know I would enjoy the training, but it's the marketing I worry about. I actually don't know what to ask. I hope the others who are interested will pop in again and ask what is on their minds. It's so good of you to offer your expertise. L, PL

#158375 - 09/01/08 01:21 AM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Anno]
hotflashgal Offline

Thanks Anno! From what I gather, these programs are rather expensive. Do you think one is better than another? Does a higher price indicate a better program?

#158384 - 09/01/08 11:59 AM Re: Life Coaches [Re: hotflashgal]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Yes, HFG, the are expensive. I feel, however, that if you pick the correct program, you get your moneys worth. The program I joined had four three-day weekend seminars (very full days), personal coaching for about 6 months, once a week, tele-conferences once a month, extra support, if you wanted it, and other goodies. I grew quite alot, at a time when I really needed to grow.

As far as price indicating a better program? I wouldn't go for the cheapest, but there is a corolation between money and product. I know people who have done it all online (not for me-too impersonal), "university" programs (a bit stilted for me), and others. Look around. See what feels right. If it is a good program they should be happy to talk with you for FREE at least one time, if not more. They should also not be selling you a program, but a chance for personal growth. That should be the first sell.

Hope this helps. Ann

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#158386 - 09/01/08 12:45 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I have a friend who is a life coach and very good at it. I'll contact her when I get back and see what she has to say.

We did a teleseminar on life coaching with the NABBW. It's archived on the Members Only page at NABBW. However, it's not about becoming a life coach. It's about using one.

#158419 - 09/01/08 03:15 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Dotsie]
Princess Lenora Offline

Good reminder about the NABBW life coach. Thanks, Dotsie. Will check it out.

#158434 - 09/01/08 07:05 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Princess Lenora]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Hi all

I have worked with both certified life coaches and those who are life coaches by choice and avocation and natural inclination. I look forward to hearing what others are saying here too! Especially since I love doing, and receiving, coaching. I've heard mixed messages about whether certification is useful, necessary, worth the money, etc.
One of my dear friends is a Certified Dream Coach (http://www.dreamcoach.com/) and LOVES the program because of Marcia Weider's approach to coaching. This is one of those women who has a lifelong love of helping others, getting certifications, and sharing her spiritual path.
Another of my dear friends has chosen the Hendricks program (http://www.hendricks.com/) and loves it because of the focus on laughter and joy in the process.
Those might be ones to check out for those of you considering certification!
There are soooooo many options, aren't there? And, for me anyway, the toughest part is in getting clients and pricing. It took me a while to pick my "niche" of rewriting stories and helping people discover and live their passions. I wish each of you the best in making your decision and if there is anything I can do to be of help, please a let me know. Since I’m not currently going for certification, I’m not much value in that area (other than what I’ve read) and I would be happy to share anything I’ve learned while I’ve been traveling this path.
Gims…do you have an idea of what you’re looking to achieve by hiring a life coach? Since there are many approaches and many different specialties, knowing what you’re expecting, even if in a general sense, could help you narrow your search a little bit.

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#158435 - 09/01/08 07:30 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Mama Red]
Princess Lenora Offline

Thanks MR for the links. Will check it out. I found a thread about Dotsie using a life coach. The thread is under "announcements" and begins with post # 93923. I don't know how to post the link or I would. PL

#158443 - 09/01/08 08:24 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Princess Lenora]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
PL, the link for that thread is below.

Coaching Thread

#158456 - 09/02/08 04:47 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Princess Lenora]
Mama Red Offline

My pleasure...I would love to hear your thoughts after you read the information and what you decide.

If you had talked to me several years ago, I would have told you it was a waste of time and money. Funny that I'm now "one of *those* people" ... grin.

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

#158560 - 09/03/08 02:44 AM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Anno]
hotflashgal Offline

Thanks Ann....I spent a good part of the day searching yesterday and today I contacted 3 women who posted testimonials on Coach Training Alliance . One of the ladies responded quickly and confirmed what she had said in her testimonial. She was very open to sharing her thoughts and opinions. I love working with women!

Cost is a huge consideration for me with two in college, so I am looking for the a solid, basic, first step program that will help me enhance my current business as well as possibly stepping into the world of coaching. Then possibly, I could continue training if I choose to.

I just wanted to share what I have found. There are soooo many.

#158680 - 09/04/08 03:33 AM Re: Life Coaches [Re: hotflashgal]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Princess Leonara, you might also want to consider small group facilitation and coaching.

It is one area I need to take some courses..probably through a local university or college. In several of my jobs, my work does involve employee group training and understanding organizational information needs which includes focus group work. I do enjoy adult instruction and feel I must broaden to group facilitation.

#158681 - 09/04/08 03:33 AM Re: Life Coaches [Re: hotflashgal]
orchid Offline

Princess Leonara, you might also want to consider small group facilitation and coaching.

It is one area I need to take some courses..probably through a local university or college. In several of my jobs, my work does involve employee group training and understanding organizational information needs which includes focus group work. I do enjoy adult instruction and feel I must broaden to group facilitation.

#158682 - 09/04/08 03:38 AM Re: Life Coaches [Re: orchid]
Princess Lenora Offline

Orchid, thanks for your comments. As for small group facilitation, I've done much of that in terms of social work. I am very comfortable facilitating groups. My degree qualifies me to do so. I've also did some "free lance" facilitations, such as for a church that wanted me to do a journal writing workshop, for a breast cancer group, for mom's who needed a "retreat" and for a health and wellness seminar. Your idea makes me realize I've dropped that aspect, and I should pick it up again. I received great evaluations. Hmmm, you gave me something to think about.
Thank you

#158685 - 09/04/08 04:45 AM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Princess Lenora]
Princess Lenora Offline

Gosh, if I had a manager who said, go here and do this workshop, go there and do that workshop, go speak at a high school, college, teach a watercolor class here, do a book discussion there, I'd do it. I don't know what you call someone who books. It's way hard doing it myself, setting up the engagements, that is. Orchid, I was not quite sure of the meaning of the second part of your post. How was your vacation to Seattle? PL

#158688 - 09/04/08 05:15 AM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Princess Lenora]
orchid Offline

Princess it's a good sign that you got good evaluations. Guess you would have to focus on a niche /topic area.

My last paragraph was more musing about myself and what I need to do.

#159056 - 09/07/08 02:38 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: hotflashgal]
mscoach Offline

Loc: Hampton Bays, NY
Hi Women,
I too am a life coach and loved my training. I took it with CTA, Coach Training Alliance. It is online and once per week classes for maybe 14 or 16 weeks. Classes are small and one gets a comprehensive syllabus/text with live links throughout for using online. This course is ICF accredited.
Happy to share more just PM me as well.
Marketing and "getting" or attracting clients is, like any business, a big part of what you'll do if you want to do only one on one coaching. After 2 years of that I have branched out to more groups, teleseminars, writing, and now, creating products so people who do not want a coaching relationship--or don't have the funds, can still have access to what I offer.
I have also taken other courses to broaden my skills and will in '09 get my certification in Neuro Linguistic Programming or NLP.
CTA is not as costly as going to CoachU or the like and expensive is a relative term but the price felt fair for the information and value I received.
Happy Sunday
mscoach

#159067 - 09/07/08 04:21 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: mscoach]
Princess Lenora Offline

Ms Couch, thank you for the information. I for one am taking it all in. Would you like to tell us more about the products you create, are they on your site? PL

#159091 - 09/07/08 05:59 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Princess Lenora]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
And I too became a Life Coach through Coach Training Alliance and found it to be a very comprehensive program.

Life Coaching is very rewarding and enjoyable and yes...you grow as much or more than your clients do! smile

#159094 - 09/07/08 06:59 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Princess Lenora Offline

Well Hello Miss JC, I don't think I've seen you in a while. How are you? Are you still hosting a web radio show?

#159097 - 09/07/08 07:49 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Princess Lenora]
Mama Red Offline

A couple of years ago I was reading "The Dark Side of the Light Chasers" and I love the statement (paraphrased) " pay attention to what you're giving as advice to others because it is what you need to learn". That was the number one most freeing statement for me as I moved into coaching. I had this "story" that I wasn't supposed to get anything out of the encounter or I wasn't truly giving. As I've done more coaching, I realize I always get something out of the encounter, learn something new, learn a new way to explain, something. And I positively adore the "aha" moments shared with people. Wow, that is so kewl. One of the tools I use is The Passion Test and I love seeing the surprise on people's faces when they realize something they've been beating themselves up over isn't even in the top 5 or they recognized a long forgotten dream and realized how important it was to them.

That is the kewlest!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com

#159102 - 09/07/08 08:21 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Mama Red]
Princess Lenora Offline

MR, thanks for voicing the rewards coaching brings to you. I also read The Dark Side...
I had a step sister named after her mother Geraldine. My step mother called herself Jeri, and the daughter was called B.J. as in "baby jeri." My mother wanted to name me Lynn but the priest said that was not a proper name for a Roman Catholic, thus I got Lenora, which no one could spell or pronounce. So everyone called me Lynn. My father bought a boat, wanted to name it, and thus the name Jerilynn (no e) What a coincidence lo these many years later! Not until now have I come across that name.

#159230 - 09/09/08 12:31 AM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Princess Lenora]
Mama Red Offline

Hi Princess Lenora

What an interesting story...thanks so much for sharing it! I LOVE the name Lenora...it flows so beautifully off the tongue.

When I was it was "Jeri Lynne"...my mom wanted something "different" and my dad vetoed, vehemently, Katrinka! Thank goodness for that at least! The whole time I was growing up, I hated the name "Jeri" because I was teased mercilessly about it being a boy's name and I was very much the prissy little girl who played with dolls and screamed properly when faced with a bucket of worms!

When I became an adult, I combined the two names informally and when I married the first time, I had it officially changed. Now I like it...and I got such a hoot out of the nurse at my new doctor's office who exclaimed "oh, such a beautiful name, so feminine!'. Now mind you, this comes on the heals of a long drawn out battle with me being PO'ed about being a poor downtrodden female in this lifetime. How funny is life anyway!!!!!!!!!!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com

#159236 - 09/09/08 02:19 AM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Mama Red]
Princess Lenora Offline

Hi JL, I'm glad you appreciated my story about JeriLynn(e). I've had a few name changes myself. I can see where you'd be teased. Jerry Lewis, Jerry and the Pacemakers, Tom and Jerry. Jeri is a cool name!

#159411 - 09/10/08 04:04 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Princess Lenora]
mscoach Offline

Loc: Hampton Bays, NY
PL,
I love that you wrote back "mscouch" as sometimes I feel that way!
I am just putting a new products page together and am still working on the audio portion of my home study mind and body tune up. So yes these products will be available soon. Meanwhile I'll be running my 4 week tune up teleseminar, the sales page for which is under re-construction.

#159414 - 09/10/08 04:39 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Princess Lenora]
Mama Red Offline

The other one was "Geraldine"...people wanted to know if it Jeri was short for it. Makes for interesting discussions at least!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com

#159450 - 09/10/08 07:46 PM Re: Life Coaches [Re: Mama Red]
Princess Lenora Offline

Yeah well I hope those that I am referring to with that name are not lurking here. She with the name G.... signed things J..., which I thought was clever, plus clever to call her daughter, my step sister, BJ. Well, step M would be too old for BWS, and the step sis too illiterate! And Mscouch was a mistake, but funny!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved