The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15774 - 10/11/02 03:02 AM walking with a friend
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Four to five days a week I sneak in an hour walk with my dear friend. This is something that we couldn't do when the kids were smaller, but boy how things have changed! We have found walking great for the heart, soul, mind, and body. For now, this is our therapy. We haven't lost any weight(in fact, I've gained some), but the hours spent walking and chatting are invaluable to us!

#15775 - 10/18/02 07:58 AM Re: walking with a friend
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Hey Aunt Dots. I was wondering if you knew of any organized walking groups in the area. I think it would be a good thing for my mom to try and meet new people.

#15776 - 10/29/02 04:14 PM Re: walking with a friend
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Check out the YMCA's walking program. I don't know if all branches have them, but some do.

#15777 - 03/31/03 01:32 AM Re: walking with a friend
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I would have to say that walking would be one of the best forms of dieting out there! From my user name you wouldnt think that i am a fitness expert! If you get into the daily habit of walking everyday (with a friend or not), you will find that calories and weight will be going away pretty quickly! To go along with this walking, you will also have to maintain some type of diet!

#15778 - 03/31/03 04:49 PM Re: walking with a friend
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Please tell us what you do as a fitness expert. I'd love to know. There are also other women in the forum who would be interested. Teri owns a fitness club for women in Wisconsin.

#15779 - 04/11/03 03:59 PM Re: walking with a friend
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
Hey dots, I was thinking, maybe those of us boomers who live in the immediate area could get together once or twice a week for a group walk. I've been missing my walks since the "damned" puppy invaded my life. But I could meet you right from work for a thirty minute walk, then head home.

#15780 - 04/12/03 04:42 AM Re: walking with a friend
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
I would love to be able to walk around our town for exercise. Unfortunately, walking on uneven paved streets or country roads causes me to have some dreadful back and leg pain. I have trouble with sciatica, and have to wear a lift in my shoe to even up my spine. My right leg is shorter than my left, which has caused my spine to curve. At times it feels like I have a dagger sticking in my back and the pain is quite intense. I had the same sensation last night at work, and was afraid for a while that I wouldn't be able to complete my duties. I took about 8 ibuprofen over the 12 hour period...which is more than I should take, and that didn't even handle all of the pain, but it helped some. I find myself going from one doctor to another right now, between dentists, urologists, gastroenterologists, my primary care physician, and I really should see a neurologist for my back pain, while I have insurance to pay for the treatments I need. Unfortunately, I don't have enough sick leave or vacation pay built up yet to be able to take time off from work for any surgeries.
We do have a cardioglide machine, that is like a cross between a stationary bicycle and a rowing machine that I can use while watching tv. Perhaps in the morning I will try to do that.

#15781 - 04/12/03 04:15 PM Re: walking with a friend
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Countrygirl, I didn't know you lived with all that pain. Sorry to hear that.

I had abdominal surgery many years ago and while in I was in the hospital they kept giving me these injections for my pain in my hip/thigh area. To this day, I still get the pain in my sciatica that takes me back to that hospital stay. I think they must have hit me in a bad spot or something. [Confused]

Anyway, I have only felt a teeny bit of the pain you must live with. Woemn continue to amaze me with the little hardships along the way that we seem to manage.

And yes, there do seem to be more visits to doctors these days. I recall when my parents started talking about all their doctors, my mom especially. Now looking back she was probably going through menopause when all of that started.

That's why I think it is so important to exercise, pray, and journal. It keeps me focused on the greater things in life! [Big Grin]

#15782 - 04/15/03 01:56 PM Re: walking with a friend
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
Countrygirl, when I had an accident and subsequent surgery some years ago, there was a rehab program at a local hospital that did therapy in a heated pool. If you have access to something like that you can get a little exercise and get tremendous relief from the pain because the heated water helps all of those muscles to relax. Ask around and we'll keep you in our prayers.

#15783 - 04/15/03 06:44 PM Re: walking with a friend
roxxie Offline

I also love to take walks,except my walking partners are my dogs.Not much conversation but its nice for both of us to get the fresh air and exercise.The doctors say the walking is good for my heart.I had surgery on it in oct.The problem is fixed thank God.The walking helps strengthen my heart.It was hard to do it before but now it feels great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved