The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#157518 - 08/25/08 06:25 PM baby boomer women playing games online
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Here's an article I found to be most interesting. How many of you boomer gals plan online games? I don't, but it's maily becasue I worl online all day and need to step away from the computer at the end of the day.

My question to you is, should I include games on this site? If so, might you play them? They would be fun brain games to keep all of us from getting Alzheimer's. Thoughts?

-------------------

The New American Players: Baby Boomers and Women Take on Video Gaming
added: 2008-08-23

According to IBISWorld's latest research report on the video gaming industry, 38 percent of U.S. gamers are women and the average player is 35 years old - not the teenage boys of the past.

"The average purchaser of video games is 39 years old - proving that video gaming is attracting a much broader audience," said Senior Analyst with IBISWorld, Mr. George Van Horn. "In fact, 67 percent of household heads play computer or video games; and besides the rapidly growing number of women taking up the hobby, 24 percent of game players are aged over 50.

"When video game consoles began to appear in the 1980s, they were dismissed as a short-lived craze, or at the very least, the domain for awkward adolescents," said Mr. Van Horn. "How astonishingly wrong we were. Our research has revealed that the teenage boys that played Atari back then are still playing video games now, largely being drawn in to new, advanced electronic gaming that simulates real-life interaction that their kids love as well."

"And while we're not suggesting the market for teen and young adult men is not a strong market, men between 18 and 45 still represent 37 percent of the game playing market - it's the other demographics which are posting significant growth," added Mr. Van Horn.

New Formats For New Markets

"The average American gamer has been playing for 12 years, and is now, on average, 35 years of age," said Mr. Van Horn. "When comparing today's industry climate with that of 20 years ago, there is a marked shift in the sector's target client base. It is apparent that women and many adults are no longer shunning the fun."

Mr. Van Horn added, "Companies are frantically at work developing games for what they hope will be expand into fresh, new markets." For example, the major players in the gaming segment are working on games that will appeal to older adults and women of all ages. Nintendo's new console format - Wii - and Microsoft's Xbox have been a major factor in changing the landscape of the gaming industry. With these games' party-style format, and innovative products, such as the phenomenally successful Wii Sports, IBISWorld believes the major market players such as Sony and Microsoft, are sitting up and taking notice that there is an untapped market which could substantially enhance the industry's current and future growth.

Fortunately for the gaming industry, its broadening appeal suggests the industry's robust growth is set to continue for some time yet. "Until those original gamers cease playing, either due to death or physical incapacity - losing interest appears unlikely - meaning new gamers entering the market will not be replacing those leaving, they'll just be adding to the swelling numbers worldwide."

Tomorrow's Gamers

The percentage of female gamers has increased from 33 to 38 percent in just five years as women flock to purchase not just Nintendo's Wii Fit, but interactive group games such as Singstar, Rock Band, and Lips, as well as The Sims, The Movies, Nintendogs and NeoPets. Games targeting girls, such as Bratz Rock Angels and Dora the Explorer have also succeeded in introducing a new generation of female gamers to the console format.

"Wii Fit is the perfect example of how recent developments in game design and marketing are opening up female gamers as the potential growth market in the industry, and the fact women comprise 38 percent of game players indicates the level of growth available to the industry, as there are still very few titles designed specifically to target that demographic. Wii Fit shows the attention women can expect to receive as manufacturers and developers actively chase the female dollar," predicted Mr. Van Horn.

As the young male demographic is comprehensively served by existing game titles, and the female market is the latest focus, IBISWorld expects one of the remaining markets ripe for the picking is older gamers.

Until recently, the teenage pioneers of video games 25 years ago were under 40 years old. Today, those gamers are approaching their mid-to late- forties. In order to retain those original fans, games are being designed specifically to appeal to older players are most likely the next, and perhaps final frontier for developers and publishers to cross. This has already begun, with Nintendo's DS 'Brain Age' testing games, and IBISWorld anticipates it will continue as the industry faces a diminishing number of potential new customers in the longer-term.

"Parents also fall into the 'older gamer' category, and the sheer number of them playing games with their children is another factor driving industry growth," said Mr. Van Horn. "Some surveys (NPD) suggest that 93 percent of parents playing video games have children who are playing too. In fact, nearly half the games sold in 2006 held an 'E' rating, and with 39 the average age of a game buyer, that would suggest the Mom and Dad market is a major one."

Future Forecast

According to IBISWorld, the gaming industry is somewhat "recession-proof," with the sector expected to grow 9.5 percent this year to generate total industry revenue of around $38.9 billion, despite flagging consumer sentiment and lower disposable incomes.

Today the video games industry, including development, production and retailing, is a $40 billion business, with more than 34 million consoles sold in the U.S. last year alone. It seems the spotty teens who originally took to gaming never grew out of it, and today's youth adopt next-generation consoles with even greater vigor than their parents.

"The result is a healthy balance sheet for the video games industry," said Mr. Van Horn, who forecasts growth of 10.2 percent per year to reach $63.2 billion by 2013." He adds, "This is an industry in an enviable position with a loyal client base regularly topped up by a fresh generation of users with older players failing to desert the sector at the age originally expected. Around a third of American households have a gaming console, which means the industry can still achieve considerable growth, spurred on by constantly evolving technology."

IBISWorld predicts, as long as older players remain unwilling to give up gaming, the industry's future will be unambiguously upbeat. By
attracting children with family-friendly games and the latest technology, drawing in women with fun communal games, retaining the key male
demographic, and expanding the offering to aging gamers, IBISWorld sees no limit to the growth in the gaming industry in the foreseeable future.

Source: PR Newswire

#157528 - 08/25/08 07:04 PM Re: baby boomer women playing games online [Re: Dotsie]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Dotsie, I think it's a great idea to have the game option here. Those that like it can partake. My schedule has been horrendous and when I've gotten home I'll take a few minutes to dabble in "Rise of Atlantis" which I'm hopelessly addicted to but (fortunately) have very little time to do. It helps me to relax to fall asleep or wake up to.

#157534 - 08/25/08 07:22 PM Re: baby boomer women playing games online [Re: ladyjane]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I do enjoy word games but fear i have no extra time to enjoy them. I'm lucky right now to be able to be here posting as much as I am. For those of us working on the computer, I think it might be harder than for those who don't. Sometimes I can't wait to close the lid on mine and just walk away...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#157539 - 08/25/08 07:39 PM Re: baby boomer women playing games online [Re: Dotsie]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
If they are interactive between members I might be interested - something like Scrabble. But, I don't want to come to BWS to play something like Solitaire. That wouldn't make sense to me. I come to BWS for camaraderie (the good fellowship).
I skimmed the article, and with the exception of Wii, I didn't recognize the game names they referred to. Did I skim correctly, to understand the games referenced are to be used with game units?
The following is the link to a trivia game site which another group I'm a member of uses. It allows you to set up a daily trivia game for board members:
Fun With Trivia that might not be too bad - a trivia challenge a day. Or, a daily crossword challenge... something like that, if you aren't able to find an interactive.
Eons has brain games - which are great (prob. have to join to view the offerings). My problem is, once I start enjoying myself on a game (or games), I find myself spending way too much time playing.
...my thinkings, which may very likely differ from others.

What type of games did you have in mind?

#157543 - 08/25/08 07:47 PM Re: baby boomer women playing games online [Re: gims]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Not for me...well, unless they happen to be a jigsaw puzzle maybe.

#157547 - 08/25/08 07:54 PM Re: baby boomer women playing games online [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
There is a business that's been hounding me to add brain games to the site. I've been tempted, but really don't want another distraction from the forums - to be honest. I"d rather women come here to connect, encourage and support one another, and go to other sites for brain power. However, they inform me that I can make lots of money by instituting their games because wome will also click on the ads and that's where the cash come sin. I'm not sold yet. I guess I'm not in it for the money as much as soem of the other boomer sites. While money is important, I prefer to go about it differently - ads and sponsors make more sense to me.

#157587 - 08/26/08 12:16 AM Re: baby boomer women playing games online [Re: Dotsie]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I do play games online. Don't particularly need them on here. I don't come here for the games and can play the games I like when I like. Also have some on my pc.

#157704 - 08/26/08 09:21 PM Re: baby boomer women playing games online [Re: Louisa]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I'd second Louisa. Those of us who want to play games online have plenty of options. By opening a game site here, you're not only incurring more expenses, but you're attracting people whom we may not want. (like spammers or guys pretending to be gals.) I just think it's a new headache that you don't need.

However, a daily trivia or logic question would be fine.

Poet and essayist

#157710 - 08/26/08 09:52 PM Re: baby boomer women playing games online [Re: meredithbead]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Wow, I have to agree with Meredith. I never gave thought to the spammers, etc....not to mention some of the viruses, etc. that hit game sites. I'm not sure I'd want to see all that attention in google brought here to BWS.

#158424 - 09/01/08 04:13 PM Re: baby boomer women playing games online [Re: ladyjane]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Dotsie, I think games might distract from what the forum is all about. And, who controls those ads that are put up on the site with the games? Who knows what kinds of ads those would be!

We may not be voting here, but I'd say "no" to adding a private gaming firm to BWS.

Like most of us said, we have our own down time and play games other places. I wouldn't come to BWS to play a game.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#160856 - 09/24/08 08:17 PM Re: baby boomer women playing games online [Re: Dotsie]
Revvell Offline

Loc: Southern California
I play a couple of games through Shockwave. They update daily and take less than :05 to play, then I get on with my day. Not interested in playing here but thank you for offering the option.

Revvellations Revvell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved