The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#157370 - 08/24/08 06:23 PM How did you meet your husband, or S.O?
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Where and how did you meet you husband or S.O.?
As I've said, I first met mine when we were children before we could really do anything about it. We were close friends.
This part is interesting though:
As I dancer and singer, I was late coming to the computer. One day I was home in Arizona visiting from MN, and I saw my old "best friend," my husband's sister. I did not know where Philip was and because she knew we were friends, she asked me if I wanted to say "hi," to him. I said yes and she brought out one of the early lap tops!
I didn't know how to use it so she opened up a message blank and said, "just type in the box what you want to say!"
I did so, excited to be using email and to say "hi," to Philip.
He emailed me back and my sister in law, (now,) showed me how to answer.
He wrote me back and asked if I would come to see him and she freaked out! She and her family didn't want us to get together!
I didn't know what to do but one day her six year old son said he could help me mail his uncle Philip on the computer.
Behind her back and while she was in the kitchen, we were in the kitchen nook and her son openned the email for me again.
I quickly gave him my "beeper number," and asked him to page me.
As her son hit "send," his mother, my sister in law, caught us! She demanded from her son, "Did you send an email??"
He told her yes and she was in a huff, she knew what we had done because when I asked her to help me, she said she was busy!
The rest was history.
I went to meet him while he was teaching a class in Spokane, WA and we were old enough to do something about it.
We were inseparable from that time!
We married shortly after that meeting.

HE taught me to use a computer for myself, lol.

Dancer.

Your story?

"Question your privilege"

#157375 - 08/24/08 06:47 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Wow, this could be lenghtly! I met my first husband when I was a mere sixteen right before high school graduation. My boyfriend at the time was a race car driver and also worked at a parking garage in Indiana where we lived. I went to the garage one afternoon after school to meet John my boyfriend, and he introduced me to a new employee of the garage who'd just gotten back from a stint in the army in Germany. His name was Eddie. I kid you not it was love for us both at first sight. We all went to the races together that night and while John was on the track driving Ed and I got better acquainted, and that was that. We were inseperable after that first meeting...We married two years later. I lost my Eddie some five years later to cancer.

I met my second husband while I was in Illinois opening an office for the man I worked for in Indiana, he owned Freezer Meats stores where people came to buy beef, half cows etc. I was the credit and office manager. The way Chet aqnd i met was the most romantic story and somewhat long so I won't bore you. I will say they way we met was the thing movies are made from. We married after only eight months and were like one for fourteen glorious years. He pasesed away also but from natural causes, he was eighteen years my senior, but to me still too young to die...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#157440 - 08/25/08 12:56 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: chatty lady]
dancer9 Offline

Chatty, thank you for telling me your stories. I love them. I would love to hear the romantic way you met Chet too!
Thanks again, I love it!
Dancer9

#157493 - 08/25/08 12:19 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: dancer9]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Oh gosh, so romantic.. love at first sight!! It wasn't that way with Greg and I. We actually met at work. He was a computer programmer and I was a technical writer. I had come to work there and was a hired as a manager to run the new tech writing department so I implemented some very necessary changes in procedures that the programmers didn't like, especially Greg. He was very resistant to working with me and so we didn't like each other very much.

A lot of the staff ate lunch together in the conference room, and I joined them one day. Greg was there, and I joined in on the conversations. Heated debates ensued on various topics it didn't matter what it was about. We all loved to argue various points, it never got ugly, just fun.

The staff also went out after work on occasion, and asked me to join then one time. Greg went too.. and we got to know each other socially. The ice started to melt. We started talking about other things besides work and learned more about each other. We continued to meet with the others and got to see each other and learn more about each other and actually realized we liked each other! So, we tried it on our own. He had a motorcycle and asked me if I wanted a ride. Of course I did!!

The ride did it. I was hooked. There's nothing like hanging on the back of a man going at top speeds with the wind blowing around you with your life in the hands of the man at the helm to realize you trust him.

It didn't matter he was 6 years younger than me. Or that he was just newly divorced. We started seeing each other. Kept it a secret from the others at work. We even went to a Christmas party for work and kept it a secret. But, I went to his house that night, and it was our first kiss. 3 months after we started dating. How's that for romantic!

6 months later we move in together. 6 months after that he gives me a ring. And a year later we're married.

You have to hear the story of how he gave me the ring. It was Christmas time. He wanted me to open one of my presents early, so he gives me this medium to big box. Pretty heavy. I open it and it has rocks in it, and a piece of paper at the bottom. It's a riddle that starts a scavenger hunt. I follow the riddle to the next stop and the next and the next which has me going all around the apartment to places like finding the "stairway to heaven" which is a CD, and then something in the refrigerator, and all sorts of places, finally there is a note that says "find the little blue church". Now, I remember the little blue church because I decorated the Christmas tree and it was an ornament. So, I go to the tree and taped to the bottom is a note. It says "turn around."...

I do.

And, there is Greg on his knees holding a ring box, with the most gorgeous ring I'd ever seen ... I started to cry and he said, " we may never get married, but I wanted you to have a ring to always know how much I love you."

(this is because we had said we probably wouldn't ever get married)

He really is romantic!

And, we did get married a year and a month later. And, we've been married now for 10 and 1/2 years.

What a guy!
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#157537 - 08/25/08 07:33 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh Vicki, he sounds just fabulous. I love a man with imagination. You are a very lucky lady as he is a lucky man. What a romantic story. Dancer this is a great series of posts, comre on girls give it up, next story???

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#157557 - 08/25/08 08:27 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: chatty lady]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Okay, I'll go next. About 33 years ago, when I was just a tot (17, actually) I moved to a little tiny mountain town. I didn't know a soul, but apparently it was slim pickins for cute girls because I had lots of attention from the guys. I wasn't used to this, coming from a high school that had a larger population than this entire little town.

I learned where the kids hung out; a little arcade in town, and at the elementary school after hours. I first saw my hubby playing basketball with the guys. When my best friend came to visit the following weekend, we drove over to the school and watched again. When they finished their game and left, Heidi and I followed him home to see where he lived! We still get teased about this...

Our first date was horseback riding with some stable horses. Our second date was riding the ski lift to the top of the hill and back down; it was summer, so it was a great day and wonderful view....when we weren't kissing! Oh well, we moved in together a year later, then got married seven years after that. Been together ever since!

Next...

#157576 - 08/25/08 11:02 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
dancer9 Offline

Wow, those are some great stories! It feels good to learn of others love stories! I love them! So, so romantic! Each of us is different and you can tell it by our love stories!
Any more out there?
Dancer9

#157622 - 08/26/08 03:49 AM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: dancer9]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
My DH threw candy (Sugar Daddy pieces, to be exact) across the cafeteria. He was a Junior and I was a Freshman in high school. Not too many days later, he asked if he could drive me home. Timid, a bit scared, but excited, I accepted. I have never laughed as hard as I did during that ride to my house in his old '55 Ford. He was (and sometimes is) one of the funniest people on this planet. He lost a great deal of his timing and quick wit after his seizure in '03. I (we) don't know if it was the seizure or the years of medication he was on to prevent another one.
We've been together for going on 40 years, counting our dating life... yea, I need a break - but, so does he!...lol.

#157643 - 08/26/08 12:21 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: gims]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
How fun is this...to learn how people met and fell in love and what it has been like since for them. I have a rather checkered past when it comes to love. My sweetie, Gil (short for Gilbert) and I have been together for 3 years in January. I love the story of our meeting so much that we reenacted it for our wedding ceremony last year. That, plus some other eclectic bits, had the wedding guests pretty bamfoozled during the ceremony itself.

I had been on match.com in Indianapolis, Indiana (where I'm originally from)on and off for a couple of years and the joke was I was a "serial dater". I had so many "one offs" that it was a running joke amongst my friends...and I was a serial dater because I had decided, after a 2 year self-imposed retreat from the world of men, exactly what I was looking for and wasn't in the mood to compromise. Not controlling, no, not me! Grin. I met, and dated, a guy for about 13 months, then broke up with him when I realized certain things weren't going to change any time soon.

I continued my match.com subscription after I moved to Chicago for a job opportunity. After 17 dates and a lot of angst, I decided I wasn't going to renew my subscription at the end of the month.

Right before my subscription was due to lapse, I had a friend staying with me to take her Reiki training from the same person I had taken my training from. She was studying and so I said "I guess I'll go up and see what crap the guys on match have to share with the world. Although I don't know why I bother, since it seems like all of them say the same thing. Look great in a tux or jeans, love the symphony and the outdoors. Blah, blah, blah."

When I signed on, I was bored and glanced at the area of the site where you can see what men having been looking at your profile. I saw Gil's profile and thought "OMG"...I called to my friend and said "you have to look at this guy's profile". She read it and said immediately "you're going to contact him, right?". I reviewed his profile, saw that he was under my height requirements (I'm 5'9" and decided I wanted someone at least 6'2" tall) and said "nope, I deserve exactly what I want, remember?". Besides that, he was over an hour away from where I lived and I didn't want to drive that far.

She bopped me upside the head and said "are you nuts?" so I gave in and sent him what is called a wink so I didn't have to write anything. He wrote back almost immediately and was so warm and welcoming. At the end of his email he said "and on behalf of all da guys in the area, thanks for classing up the joint!".

I still wasn't sure about him...he was, after all, too short ("only" 5'11", grin) and told him I would talk to him after my friend left on Sunday. On Sunday, I contacted him via email and we started chatting. I told him that I really didn't like chatting via email...too static and it got boring quickly...he immediately gave me his phone number and we spent the next 7 hours talking to each other! In fact, I don't remember how many times I needed to charge my phone in order to stay on the call. Thank goodness for cell phones and cell phone chargers...

During the call, he kept asking me for a date, getting ever more frustrated when I ignored the request...I didn't say "no", I just ignored what he was saying because I knew I came across well on the phone and wasn't confident in how I came across in person. Finally, he said "what does a guy gotta do to get a date with you!!!!!!!!!". I agreed to a date and and immediately thought "oh lordy, what have I done!" I was on the phone with my girlfriend, babbling away, talking nonsense and stuff for hours.

Although our date was originally set for Tuesday (I had a date on Monday...a no show, go figure), we ended up going out on Monday night for dinner. When I got to the restaurant, he was already there and I parked a couple of spots away. He got out of the car with a beautiful red rose in his hand, took a look at me and practically ran across the two parking spaces to meet me. At the moment he turned to me, this exquisitely beautiful blue light jumped the distance between our hearts and I was smitten. Caught hook, line, and sinker!

We both called in "sick" the next day (not acting out of the greatest integrity at that moment!) and spent the day together. That afternoon he asked me to marry him and I, being the hold out that I was, waited a whole 5 days before saying yes! I had such a thing about the word "married" that I insisted on calling it a joining!

We spent every moment possible together for the next few months, talked on the phone a gazillion times a day during the week and closeted ourselves at one of our homes during the weekends.

However, in July we split up for a month (long story, lots of learnings) and got back together again in August. We were married on May 5, 2007 and had a blast at our wedding. I wore two different costumes and our ceremony was, in the words of some guests, amazing and unique. Of course, there were some other words too...like strange, weird and, well, I'll not share some of the other words 'cuz I'm going to be a lady (giggle).

Our honeymoon, in Sedona, was a month later and we spent the time on transformational activities...a very different honeymoon which I loved. AND I would love to go on another, more traditional one, sometime.

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#157655 - 08/26/08 01:59 PM Re: How did you meet your husband, or S.O? [Re: Mama Red]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Aw, Mamared, a beautiful, sweet story! Here's another one from Match.com: I had signed up on that website with fear and trembling! One day I'd hide my profile, the next day I'd go back on...an email arrived from him that was beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes. But because I had been so badly burned I decided that "he"....whoever "he" was, was obviously too good to be true. I waited and then sent a short reply. He persisted. I finally gave up my email address and we began an exchange daily, sometimes several times a day. Through email we talked about so many things! Finally I gave up my phone number. He called and rather than a lengthy chat, we kept it light and fairly short the first time. The next day we talked for hours! He finally begged for a date. He sensed my reluctance but saw it for what it was....fear. He still persisted. I knew he was a musician so I chose a place on Saturday night with a great blues band playing. I was there first waiting outside. I saw him drive in with that huge smile that still brightens my days. He presented me with a beautiful bouquet and we hugged instantly. That night he sat in with the band playing blues harp and I was mesmerized! We laughed and talked for hours afterward until 6 am! That began a long string of dates. Still, we both had fears and broke up for the summer. He'd still call and check in and visited with flowers after my surgery. We were on and off for a year.....like Mamared said, ours, too, is a long story and a major time of learning and trusting again. I dated others and so did he. In August of the following year, we finally had a showdown in the way of both realizing that we either have to get it together or break up completely. It was that day that he asked me to marry him and we set a wedding date for two months later...Oct. 23, 2004. We had a "doowop wedding" with great music and classic cars! He is a wonderful smily, passionate man and though we're still learning so much, I wouldn't trade him for anything!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved