The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#156147 - 08/13/08 02:26 AM stockings, pantyhose anyone?
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Girlfriends, are we wearing panty hose anymore? In the 1970s and 1980s and 1990s, it seemed that hose was a part of the professional attire. Hey, I'm old enough to recall stockings and garter belts. The worst case of stocking syndrome occurred in the Arizona summers. It was expected that even at 113 degrees in the desert, professional woman wore pantyhose. Suffocation from the toes to the waist. And the waistband would become wet with sweat. I am noticing now, even in the mild climate of Colorado Springs, that we are not wearing any hose at all. When do you think pantyhose is a must? Do you wear panty hose? Do you wear textured stockings? I'm wondering what the current trend in leg wear is. I do not like the Vera Wang look with the tights under the skirts. How about you?

#156151 - 08/13/08 02:45 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Princess Lenora]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Only when I rob banks...Someone told me the other day that you could cut eyeholes in them. So cool!

#156157 - 08/13/08 03:15 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Princess Lenora]
CowgirlRed Offline

Loc: Kansas
PL, Something I can relate to. No more stockings or pantyhose for me. Maybe in the winter with skirts and boots. I never thought I would give them up in my lifetime but they are hot and uncomfortable. I'm 53 and I remember the old days of pantyhose and garter belts, knee highs etc etc. It is so freeing and comfy. Also I started wearing shorts, summer dresses and some sleeveless shirts. I love my pedicures, just got my first one 2 years ago and now I'm hooked. While shopping with my 22 yr old daughter recently, trying on a tank top, I told her I thought I was too old to go sleeveless. She told me that the most attractive thing that I could wear is "confidence". So I bought the top and several more.... I feel the same way about bare legs. I'm not hiding behind all that stuff anymore...hose, tights, long pants and long skirts in summer just because I don't have a perfect body. Back the the original question. It appears to me that no one wears hose anymore at all, business or pleasure.

#156158 - 08/13/08 04:15 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: CowgirlRed]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
the last time I wore pantyhose was 1971 when I was a waitress for 2 weeks. Now I'm in SoCali -- "formal wear" means shoes and shirt (women too!)

Other than that, I'm with Jawjaw. Literally. cool I got a big van, we can fit a lot of bags in there... shocked

Poet and essayist

#156161 - 08/13/08 04:45 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Too hot! I only wear them when I have to... weddings, maybe.

#156213 - 08/13/08 01:59 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: gims]
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
Pantyhose??!! Oh wait, that's right...I remember those grin Can't say I've worn them in YEARS. Too many to count. I don't have a job where I need to be dressed up in suits or dress shoes. I often come to work in capris and sandals. I balk if I have to put hose on for any reason...I really dislike anything that looks like a pair of siamese twinned legs. I hated tights as a kid though...they were just hot and uncomfortable to me.

Now, socks are mandatory here in the winter for me...when I have to wear boots or loafers in January, well...I can't go sockless. When it's warm weather, I prefer sandals and bare legs or going barefoot!

#156229 - 08/13/08 04:58 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: keyholes]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Since retirement, I only wear pantyhose to funerals. I detest anything that makes me feel like I'm suffocating.

But I do wear longjohns in the winter...soft silky ones with lace trim. Longjohns are a winter staple up here.

My feet really like bamboo socks.

(Maya Angelou)

#156239 - 08/13/08 06:59 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
In the winter, I wear stockings - either panty hose or tights when I wear a skirts - and/or smart wool socks when I wear boots.

The rest of the year (seems to be only about 5 months here), I go bare legged, even at work.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#156275 - 08/14/08 01:47 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: ]

I was a property manager in Southern California from 1984 to 1995. We had to wear uniforms. One uniform was "camp" shirts, with shoulder pads, and dress-type bermuda shorts. We were expected to wear hose with the shorts. So unnatural. So, girls, if you wear skirts in the winter, do you wear tights or heavy hose? Or knee socks? In cold climates, we can't go bare legged. Or we can just wear pants everyday. I do wear long-johns under my pants in the winter.
We should have burned the stockings when we burned the bras!

#156283 - 08/14/08 03:46 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Princess Lenora]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Winter, what little of it we have, is my excuse to forgo the razor marathon -- which means long pants, cotton or light knit because anything warmer and I'd die of heat stroke. With cotton ankle socks.

In the summer, I tend towards barefoot.

Poet and essayist

#156285 - 08/14/08 03:54 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: ]
gims Offline

Originally Posted By: Anne327
They are, and always have been, a plot against women! shocked Since we found out and these $$$$&^& things went out of style, the nation's women collectively saved about 10 million dollars......

LOL anne, you made me laugh!!! laugh laugh
Have you ever wondered why women wear skirts and men wear pants? I've wondered that since I was a child - the anatomy vs. style just never seemed to fit in my young child's mind.

#156374 - 08/14/08 04:35 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: gims]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
When I have to dress up I still wear good 'ol pantyhose with skirts or dresses (no matter what the season is). But I have to say that it's very infrequently nowadays that I have to. I spend my days in jeans or shorts and wear my scrubs by night so life is fairly comfortable. I can't imagine how my mother could wear pantyhose daily even under pants....ewwwww.

#156378 - 08/14/08 05:11 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: ladyjane]
chickadee Offline

If Mom didn't wear her pantyhose under her slacks, she would get the flu. How is it possible? I don't know but whenever she got the flu she said, "Everytime I don't wear my pantyhose, I get the flu." I loved the stockings with the seam up the back, did you? A few years ago I wore them to a fancy event and I had too many men comment on my great legs. I think they really meanth the stockings. Never got that compliment with regular ones. smile

#156387 - 08/14/08 06:20 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: chickadee]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Oh yes, those sexy seamed stockings were a hit. When I felt/feel a little risque I've been known to wear the thigh highs with just garters. No one else knows except for hubby !!

#156398 - 08/14/08 07:07 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Mountain Ash Offline

I wear pantihose in the Autumn/Winter.Dark colours to match shoes black/brown wine forest green.
Never with trousers then I wear long socks without tight elastic.Hard to find.. and recently as summer is fading here I wore a skirt and pantihose to go for a meal.Unheard of in August usually.One thing I remember is that my first pantihose were very costly and as they became popular the price reduced.
Mountain ash

#156408 - 08/14/08 07:21 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: ]
keyholes Offline

Anne, this might be a good laugh. Remember manihose? They actually made and sold those back in the 70s....oh I remember my dad howling in laughter when he saw a pair. He took me and my mom shopping at the Lion Store in Toledo. He saw a mannequin wearing a pair and I thought he was going to bust a gut laughing so hard.

#156451 - 08/15/08 01:44 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: keyholes]

I was never able to get the seam straight up the back of the leg. I haven't heard about getting the flu if you don't wear pantyhose under the slacks!

#156456 - 08/15/08 01:59 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Just recently I was thinking of getting rid of all my hose, except my tights. (I wear them underneath pants in wintertime since we continue our market all year 'round.)

The last time I wore hose was, I think, four years ago. Maybe longer, just before I quit working for someone else.

I don't think I ever want to wear pantyhose again! But why do I hang onto them?

#156561 - 08/15/08 09:55 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: ]
chickadee Offline

I think that was regular pantyhose. Here's a clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf3oOQq9KFU&feature=related

#156622 - 08/16/08 03:10 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: ]
keyholes Offline

I forgot about that one LOL!! I googled manihose and only found one decent hit, but it's a pay site. It does have an image of an advertisement for manihose:

http://tinyurl.com/6eosa4

Personally, it might be a good thing for someone like John Edwards. More difficult to... whistle blush

Makes me want to pop in my DVD of Monty Python's Men In Tights!!!!

#156640 - 08/16/08 07:17 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: keyholes]
gims Offline

LOL, keyholes, glad I didn't buy into that stock!

#156696 - 08/17/08 07:18 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: gims]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Don'tcha just hate pantyhose??? Must have been designed by some stupid man who wouldn't have to wear them. Girdles and pantyhose, and Chinese water torture all belong in the same catagory...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#156790 - 08/18/08 09:25 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
keyholes, what a riot?

I can't recall what movie it was, but I remember seeing amovie where the man was putting on pantyhose in the bathroom and it was a real scene. It was a riot. What movie was that?

#156801 - 08/18/08 10:32 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Dotsie]
Cookie Offline

I think it was What A Women Wants with Mel Gibson.

#162452 - 10/12/08 12:03 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Cookie]

The following advice came from the front page of Dotsie's newsletter. It is from the MORE convention where Isaac Mazarati (the fashion designer) was a guest. He said:

"Do not wear nude stockings."

My question is, in the winter, with skirts, do we wear tights? I do Not like the Vera Wang signature style. She wears tights with everything, and it looks stupid to me. If we wear tights, what kind of tights? Opaque, sheer?

#162460 - 10/12/08 11:53 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Cookie, that's right. That movie was a hoot, wasn't it?

I'm not in my office right now, but I'll check my notes from Isaac to see what else he said about hose.

I saw lots of patterned hose while in NYC. He didn't mentin them, but I saw many women wearing them, and saw them for sale in lots of stores. They're a little too funky for me.

#162476 - 10/12/08 05:36 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Dotsie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I too loved that movie. It was so funny, especially when his daughter walked in on him.

I love wearing tights in the winter. I don't give a rip what Isaac or anyone else says.

#162504 - 10/13/08 12:58 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: jawjaw]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I don' mind wearing pantyhose. And did wear them when I worked in more formal workplaces.. I actually have to take time to find pantyhose in my size...small...usually not readily available since stores don't stock them in great quantities.

I don't like wearing dark tights because my leg skin in winter is dry and it does flake abit...which for dark tights just doesn't do anything for me.

Yes, I do change out of cycling clothing when I get to work...and put on pantyhose and a skirt, etc.

I do remember as a teenager in 1970's wearing purple hose, dark tangerine hose...

No, I will never wear stockings. I did wear stockings for a short while, with stocking holders..I welcomed the invention of pantyhose!!!!!!!

#162506 - 10/13/08 05:59 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: orchid]
Mij Offline

grin

#162510 - 10/13/08 01:49 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Mij]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Mij, love the old story. I never wore them, but recall that my older sister did. I went right in to pantyhose and tights. I like tights because they are warmer!

I checked my notes and Isaac mentioned brown pantyhose. NOt sure exactly what he meant by that, but I jotted it down as he was speaking. Not that we listen to everything he says, but just wanted to share what's hot.

#162512 - 10/13/08 02:35 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Dotsie]
Di Offline

I SO remember garters and stockings! And we even "layered up" with nylons AND fish nets! That was fun to keep the garter clip from not popping with both!

Yep, knee socks were "in" too. And the ol' elastic to keep them up!

The last time I wore pantyhose was in 2001 at SD's wedding. That was it! It's tights for me now underneath corduroys in wintertime since we do outdoor markets all year 'round.

#162522 - 10/13/08 05:01 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Di]

I would like patterned hose. JJ, Di, others, what KIND of tights do you wear? There are some funny stories and memories re: stockings. I never wore tangerine hose. Girdles and garter belts, what a blast to the past, and thank goodness they are past.

#162527 - 10/13/08 05:05 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Di Offline

I just get some tights at Walgreens.......they go underneath pants anyway!

We also called those flowery girdle-type things with garters "Sus-pants". I have no idea why! They were stretchy and the garter tabs hung down. The garters were a pain....on TOP of our undies!

How DID we survive the 60's??

#162550 - 10/13/08 07:31 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Di]

Yes, on top of the panties, and if we were menstruating there were other accessories to wear.

#162565 - 10/13/08 10:14 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Princess Lenora]
orchid Offline

Patterned hose looks great on leggy slim gals.

#162574 - 10/14/08 04:35 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: orchid]

Leggy? Slim? guess not. Orchid, I would find it uncomfortable to change to work clothes after cycling. Probably another one of my excuses to commute in the car as well as avoid exercise. I know this is not the same thing, but... when I was in Rome, I saw women dressed for work on their mopeds, vespas, and on the metro. It was summer, yet some were wearing hose of some kind.

#162606 - 10/14/08 04:33 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Princess Lenora]
JackieG Offline

Have any of you ever heard of thigh-highs? A co-worker of mine swore by them, they are stockings with thick elastic at the thigh, and they are supposed to stay up by themselves without garters - they are a recent thing in the last 10 or 15 years or so, I think -I have never worn them, but have thought about getting some to try, because I do not care for panty hose. But, with lots of movement don't see how they would stay up. I mostly wear knee highs, with skirts or dresses down to my ankles,don't like to wear dresses that are shorter in length...

#162673 - 10/15/08 12:30 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: JackieG]
Di Offline

Wanted to bring this back up...

as I was changing out my summer for winter clothes, I found a pair of pantyhose that I got back in 2001 to wear for my step-daughters wedding. Got them at JCPenney. They have SIDE seems and no front/back seems...I am not imagining things! They are the most comfortable hose I'd EVER worn!

Don't know if they still carry them, but I still have them and they are in excellent shape!

#162686 - 10/15/08 02:14 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

I don't understand much about the thigh high stockings..it looks impractical to me.

I wear skirts about 2-3 inches above my knees. So useless to someone like myself.

#162687 - 10/15/08 02:20 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: orchid]

I've had some thigh highs, and they are a good alternative should the outfit allow and they do stay up

#162695 - 10/15/08 02:54 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Mij Offline

laugh Oh, man, I forgot about having to use rubberbands to hold up my knee socks!

Thanks for that name: suspants. Mine had pink and blue flowers. Here is a picture:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3281/2603772258_79baee247d.jpg?v=0

I used to wear thigh-highs a lot. The band is very wide and I had no problems with them slipping down.

I happened on this site while looking for suspants. It is a collection of old advertising that you may enjoy. I really remember the "Knitting Jenny."

http://www.lulusvintage.com/vintage_advertisements/index.html

Edited by Mij (10/15/08 03:02 AM)

#162700 - 10/15/08 03:54 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Mij]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Love the old ads!! Thanks for sharing. I also held my knee socks up with rubber bands. And all the girls in middle school were wearing panty hose and bikini panties long before me. I finally had my friend give me bikini panties for birthday one year, so my mom finally let me wear them.

#162711 - 10/15/08 08:24 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Mountain Ash Offline

Mij
thank you ...bookmarked this site and will visit and recall.
my daughter is fascinated and some seem to jump out to her as things she remembers me wearing...the aprons...yes ..I wore them doing housework..whisked it off when some one called.

and a special one when bathing and feeding my babies..it was laundered along with terry nappies.used muslin nappies inside the terries..white bath towels..cot/pram sheets .
MOUNTAIN ASH

#162729 - 10/15/08 02:54 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Mountain Ash]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I loved thigh highs and had forgotten about them since I work from home and only dress up for weddings and funerals (same thing)...

They DO stay up with no problems at all, at least they did on me and I have some thighs, let me tell ya....loved them!

Hate pantyhose and think they should only be used to wear over your head to rob mini-marts. Without runs, of course.

#162748 - 10/15/08 05:27 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: jawjaw]
gims Offline

Even the thought of wearing hose (of any kind) makes me hot. I hate the feel of them. I hate the added layer. I hate the confinement. Reason number one for me wearing pants - all the time. I haven't been in a dress since my second daughter's wedding 10 years ago.
I slip on a pair of footies (every so often thigh highs) before my flats, or low heels, when dressing up. I don't care for the feel of bare feet in shoes... other than sandals. My preference - going barefoot... less is better for me.

#162782 - 10/15/08 07:26 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: jawjaw]
JackieG Offline

Originally Posted By: jawjaw
Hate pantyhose and think they should only be used to wear over your head to rob mini-marts. Without runs, of course.

BAHAAAAAAAH!!!! ROFL

#162783 - 10/15/08 07:45 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: JackieG]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Today's "hose," and the fashion this winter, is back to the patterned tights. There are all sorts of patterns and color mixes to choose from. Every now and again we come around to tights in various colors being a fashion statement and here we are again!

There are expenisive patterned tights,and inexpensive tights, they run the gamet.
Here is a sight that shows a lot of patterns available this season:

http://www.joyofsocks.com/

there are mall stores called "The Joy of Socks" as well in major cities.

Socks with shoes are also a "look." For exmaple, the loafer is back with patterned sockes worn with it. Wheeeeeeee! I'm doing some of that.

Some years are "boot years," and some are not. This is not, it's a "tights," year.

Of course, those in true fashion do their own thing and if they like a trend they take it up, if not, they stay with their classics! Here, it is "cowboy boots," that prevail, and tennies, but I find both of them irritating to where.

Just some fashion news,
Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#162803 - 10/15/08 11:55 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: dancer9]
Di Offline

I'd like to know WHO sets these trends of whether it's a boot year or a tights year. Do you know, Dancer?

I love tights or knee socks with loafers. Reminds me of high school. Way cool!

But my legs would prefer the tights to "tighten up" those leg woogies!!

#162806 - 10/16/08 12:15 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Di]

Di, the fashion designers set the trends. Vera Wangs signature style is tights with dresses. Woogies? Is that a word? I always had a hard time tucking jeans into boots, and I like Frye boots. Remember stirrup pants? Those were easy to tuck into boots.

#162845 - 10/16/08 11:58 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Gracious, do I remember stirrup pants. Were they clingy or what?

Leg woogies? I've never heard it before, but darn if I don't know what you're talking about.

#162853 - 10/16/08 01:07 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Dotsie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Never heard of woogies either unless it was preceded by the word Boogie....

Those darn stirrup pants would not stay in my shoes. Who could afford boots?

#162855 - 10/16/08 01:24 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: dancer9]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I like pantyhose for winter and wear them under my jeans.
Love the warmth. I googled woogies and they don't even
know what the heck they are. Sus-whatever that mij mentioned are sexy but way too much for me and like leggings but wear them only occasionally, when the temp dips to subzero. WOOGIES??? What R woogies?

#162857 - 10/16/08 01:41 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: jabber]
Di Offline

They are my "made up name" for anything that hangs over or around or down!

Under my arms, above my knees, inside my thights! etc.

WOOGIES! grin

Edited by Di (10/16/08 01:42 PM)

#162858 - 10/16/08 01:49 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Well, it's my understanding that purple is the IN color this fall. But those darn blazers are so short. I don't care for cropped styles. I, personally, like longer jackets.

Hi Di,
Oh! Okay! Got it! WOOGIES!

Edited by jabber (10/16/08 01:51 PM)

#162979 - 10/17/08 01:20 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

What say you? Do you gals like the short, short jackets?

#162983 - 10/17/08 02:01 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: jabber]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

You know, we have a woman who is a member of the NABBW who actually owns a biz called Fashion Fit Formula. They measure you and tell you exactly what length (by mathematical equations) of jacket you should be wearing, or skirt, or collars, etc. It's very interesting. They are very precise.

I've never cared for the short jackets myself. But that's just me.

#162984 - 10/17/08 02:22 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Wow, looks very interesting. I just don't have the money to do that right now, but would love to.

Does anyone watch the show on Bravo called "What not to wear"? It has helped me see that looking thinner is better accomplished by showing off your curves, not covering them up with long bulky sweaters and such. I would love to go to a seminar or something to be measured and have professional shopping assistance; I've never been good at putting outfits together.

#162988 - 10/17/08 03:03 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I watch that show on occasion. They do make some good points.

#163011 - 10/17/08 05:18 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]

I watch "What Not To Wear" I actually like fashion, and had a desire for fashion design when I was a kid. Anything but the mundane tasks of hemming and mending! I like putting outfits together, and I am getting more relaxed about mixing colors and patterns. I alternate my style from bohemian to tailored, depending on mood and occasion. On the today show today, they did a segment with Stacey London on tights vs pantyhose, my initial question. Patterned were shown. Also, the cropped jackets. Yet on a magazine cover, the pose is of Brooke Shields in a knee length trench coat. Yeah, who makes these rules anyway?

#163075 - 10/18/08 04:10 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
orchid Offline

I looked at the link for Fashion Fit website.. it looks like to me, simple lessons in proportionate cuts/styles in relation to person's body frame.

I watch that tv show also on Bravo..but less so now, because I have less time..with my lengthy work commute.

I've always enjoyed fashion shows. Not beauty contests...fashion shows where real artistry and craftsmanship is paraded about. It's fun and imaginative to me.

Before cycling took over me, I did sew about 80-85% of all my clothing. Tailored jackets with French pockets, bound cloth buttonholes, jeans with French seams, dresses, etc. I did sew several going-away dresses for several friends' weddings. It was the skill that clearly my mother made sure all her 5 daughters acquired. So all of my sisters are equally skilled with the sewing our own clothing. It sure as heck, motivated us to handwash and iron our own sewn clothing...which probably made Mom happy with less work. smile

During my sewing life, I used to love spending hrs. in textile stores and flipping through pattern catalogs. Imagining colour and textural combinations. I considered it really another form of artistic visualization. So I acquired several boxes of bolts of fabric.. It was SO HARD to let go of new fabric when I had to move my stuff.

#163076 - 10/18/08 04:18 AM Fashion File [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

Sorry to hijack the thread by going abit off kilter, but still on fashion...

Fashion File is a weekly tv show that's been on for last few years. Aired in Canada and in some states.

Click on some of the international fashion show video clips. It's fun and it's glam -fab. I know I can't afford to wear the stuff, but it can give a person lots of ideas how to be their own fashionable self.

http://www.fashionfile.com/Highlights.html

#163105 - 10/18/08 01:50 PM Re: Fashion File [Re: orchid]
jabber Offline

I tapped into fashionfile but it only shows fall/winter 2007 and
I'm currently into 2008 fashions. I suppose it's simply personal preference. I feel more comfortable in the longer blazers. I did however buy a couple short, cropped jackets because they're IN.
Guess if a person wears a longer waisted blouse underneath, it
doesn't matter that much, anyhow. I watch TV fashion shows now and again.

#163110 - 10/18/08 02:38 PM Re: Fashion File [Re: jabber]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Thanks for the link Orchid, I watched some of the Canadian footage. Haven't seen that show here in California.

#163118 - 10/18/08 03:28 PM Re: Fashion File [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
orchid Offline

There's 2008 footage in the link I gave for Fashion File.

I don't follow this show much simply because I lack time..I'm out cycling on weekends and grocery shopping. Fashion clothes shopping is incidental to me at this stage in life.

However most of my jackets tend to be above my hip. I have worn cropped short jackets. Petite jackets suit a small boned person like myself. I can only wear a long jacket if it's quite long, slim and well tailored almost like a dress robe itself..usually that looks quite formal to me.

#163199 - 10/19/08 03:44 PM Re: Fashion File [Re: orchid]
jabber Offline

I suppose it simply depends on what you think looks best on you.
I like frilly dresses and dressy pant suits. I love the ruffly
collared blouses and palazzo pants. But hubby and I don't go out much other than on vacation. I only dress up if we go to a restaurant for a holiday dinner. So it's no big deal. I just wondered what the rest of you thought about the shorter designed suitcoats. That's all.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved