The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#156147 - 08/13/08 02:26 AM stockings, pantyhose anyone?
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Girlfriends, are we wearing panty hose anymore? In the 1970s and 1980s and 1990s, it seemed that hose was a part of the professional attire. Hey, I'm old enough to recall stockings and garter belts. The worst case of stocking syndrome occurred in the Arizona summers. It was expected that even at 113 degrees in the desert, professional woman wore pantyhose. Suffocation from the toes to the waist. And the waistband would become wet with sweat. I am noticing now, even in the mild climate of Colorado Springs, that we are not wearing any hose at all. When do you think pantyhose is a must? Do you wear panty hose? Do you wear textured stockings? I'm wondering what the current trend in leg wear is. I do not like the Vera Wang look with the tights under the skirts. How about you?

#156151 - 08/13/08 02:45 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Princess Lenora]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Only when I rob banks...Someone told me the other day that you could cut eyeholes in them. So cool!

#156157 - 08/13/08 03:15 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Princess Lenora]
CowgirlRed Offline

Loc: Kansas
PL, Something I can relate to. No more stockings or pantyhose for me. Maybe in the winter with skirts and boots. I never thought I would give them up in my lifetime but they are hot and uncomfortable. I'm 53 and I remember the old days of pantyhose and garter belts, knee highs etc etc. It is so freeing and comfy. Also I started wearing shorts, summer dresses and some sleeveless shirts. I love my pedicures, just got my first one 2 years ago and now I'm hooked. While shopping with my 22 yr old daughter recently, trying on a tank top, I told her I thought I was too old to go sleeveless. She told me that the most attractive thing that I could wear is "confidence". So I bought the top and several more.... I feel the same way about bare legs. I'm not hiding behind all that stuff anymore...hose, tights, long pants and long skirts in summer just because I don't have a perfect body. Back the the original question. It appears to me that no one wears hose anymore at all, business or pleasure.

#156158 - 08/13/08 04:15 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: CowgirlRed]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
the last time I wore pantyhose was 1971 when I was a waitress for 2 weeks. Now I'm in SoCali -- "formal wear" means shoes and shirt (women too!)

Other than that, I'm with Jawjaw. Literally. cool I got a big van, we can fit a lot of bags in there... shocked

Poet and essayist

#156161 - 08/13/08 04:45 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Too hot! I only wear them when I have to... weddings, maybe.

#156213 - 08/13/08 01:59 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: gims]
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
Pantyhose??!! Oh wait, that's right...I remember those grin Can't say I've worn them in YEARS. Too many to count. I don't have a job where I need to be dressed up in suits or dress shoes. I often come to work in capris and sandals. I balk if I have to put hose on for any reason...I really dislike anything that looks like a pair of siamese twinned legs. I hated tights as a kid though...they were just hot and uncomfortable to me.

Now, socks are mandatory here in the winter for me...when I have to wear boots or loafers in January, well...I can't go sockless. When it's warm weather, I prefer sandals and bare legs or going barefoot!

#156229 - 08/13/08 04:58 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: keyholes]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Since retirement, I only wear pantyhose to funerals. I detest anything that makes me feel like I'm suffocating.

But I do wear longjohns in the winter...soft silky ones with lace trim. Longjohns are a winter staple up here.

My feet really like bamboo socks.

(Maya Angelou)

#156239 - 08/13/08 06:59 PM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
In the winter, I wear stockings - either panty hose or tights when I wear a skirts - and/or smart wool socks when I wear boots.

The rest of the year (seems to be only about 5 months here), I go bare legged, even at work.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#156275 - 08/14/08 01:47 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: ]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I was a property manager in Southern California from 1984 to 1995. We had to wear uniforms. One uniform was "camp" shirts, with shoulder pads, and dress-type bermuda shorts. We were expected to wear hose with the shorts. So unnatural. So, girls, if you wear skirts in the winter, do you wear tights or heavy hose? Or knee socks? In cold climates, we can't go bare legged. Or we can just wear pants everyday. I do wear long-johns under my pants in the winter.
We should have burned the stockings when we burned the bras!

#156283 - 08/14/08 03:46 AM Re: stockings, pantyhose anyone? [Re: Princess Lenora]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Winter, what little of it we have, is my excuse to forgo the razor marathon -- which means long pants, cotton or light knit because anything warmer and I'd die of heat stroke. With cotton ankle socks.

In the summer, I tend towards barefoot.

Poet and essayist

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved