The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#155947 - 08/11/08 12:06 PM "Funny" greeting cards inappropriate
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
While at Walmart, I read through MANY "funny" greeting cards to send to my nephew who will turn 18 in a few weeks. I cannot believe some of the content inside! Many of them embarrassed me so I thought they were quite inappropriate for him.

I left w/out buying one! I'll just look for some funny sayings on the web and make one for him.

Anyone else find the cards of today a tad bit "racy"?

#155955 - 08/11/08 03:08 PM Re: "Funny" greeting cards inappropriate [Re: Di]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Some can get pretty disgusting, but others are pretty funny. I must admit, I can laugh at a lot of that stuff. In fact, lately I've been finding cards that I think are hilarious and perfect for someone I know, but there's no way I'd ever send them the card.

Usually I just base my card-buying decisions on who it's for. I can usually find something appropriate.

That said, can you believe how much cards cost???

#155998 - 08/12/08 12:29 AM Re: "Funny" greeting cards inappropriate [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
When needing an unusual card, something cute but not raunchy, I head to Hallmark, the store or on line. They always have something appropriate and unique...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#156047 - 08/12/08 10:37 AM Re: "Funny" greeting cards inappropriate [Re: chatty lady]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I love the selection at the Hallmark stores. Something for everyone!

#156052 - 08/12/08 11:35 AM Re: "Funny" greeting cards inappropriate [Re: diamond50]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Browsing through card shops is one of my very favourite things to do. Every so often, I make up a long list of upcoming birthdays, anniversaries and people I just want to stay in touch with. Then I head off to various card shops and browse for a few hours. I love finding the right card for the right person, and will often pick up cards for people even though their birthdays are months away, just because the card suits them so well. Shopping for the perfect card for a loved one has long been one of my favourite passions in life. Weird but true. And when I can't find one that says what I want to say, I make my own.

(Maya Angelou)

#156058 - 08/12/08 12:06 PM Re: "Funny" greeting cards inappropriate [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Yes, cards are expensive, but some lines have introduced 99 cent cards. Have you seen them?

I also love reading cards. Some are raunchy, but so are some people, and they might appreciate them. LOL I'm definitely picky with verses.

My sister and her hubby took us to dinner Friday night and treated. It was a pleasant surprise so I wanted to thank them. I found a funny card at B&N.

"Thank you from the bottom of my butt." Then inside it said, "I was going to thank you from the bottom of my heart, but my butt's bigger."

I laughed so hard, I had to buy it. Plus, she has a crazy sense of humor so I couldn't resist. I know I'll get a call when she receives it and we'll laugh some more.

Does my butt look big in this card?

I totally agree. Some are raunchy, but some are just downright funny. I stay away from raunch.

Edited by Dotsie (08/12/08 12:07 PM)

#156060 - 08/12/08 12:20 PM Re: "Funny" greeting cards inappropriate [Re: Dotsie]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Yeah, some of the 99c cards are cute, too.

I really like making my own...I just thought I'd go out there and find a good one quickly. But not for an 18 year old! That is an age I do not know much about.

Anyone??

#156305 - 08/14/08 06:32 AM Re: "Funny" greeting cards inappropriate [Re: Di]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Trader Joe's has some very nice cards for $1-2. I never thought to check them out until I got one from a friend.

Poet and essayist

#156402 - 08/14/08 07:15 PM Re: "Funny" greeting cards inappropriate [Re: meredithbead]
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
Let's see...I lived through raising 4 kids past the age of 18. Mine were all girls, but at that point, they liked raunchy but they also liked a lot of different things too. Humor always worked for them (they love blonde jokes, boy/girl jokes). Sappy stuff doesn't work with them, but they're all still in their 20s and they all have a pretty outrageous sense of humor and like to laugh. I wouldn't give them the raunchy cards but I know they gave them or got them from friends. But still to this day, I have to really browse to find a good card for one of my kids. There are sooooo many out there, they even break them down by age groups now.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved