The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#155382 - 08/07/08 06:16 AM Empty Home First Time in 21 years
Fabulously40 Offline
stranger

Loc: San Diego, CA
All of our four children were traveling at the same time. This was the first time me and my husband were home by ourselves. It was weird but nice the first day, sad the next and impossible to bare each day there after.

One of our daughters comes home tomorrow, I'm so excited I can't sleep.

This was my first experience with the empty next, and I can honestly say I hated it.

#155399 - 08/07/08 01:45 PM Re: Empty Home First Time in 21 years [Re: Fabulously40]
bellatrue Offline

I have always known that being without some family in the house was NOT my idea of a good time... Therefore, I continued to have children WELL into my 40s, lol! The age gap in my 4 is from 26 to seven (!), so by the time my youngest graduates from high school, I SHOULD have a grandchild or two... At first, my friends thought I was NUTS to keep having these babies, but now that they are "empty-nesters" - and sad, also I might add - they are actually envious of my bustling, happy household. It's not that I don't have my OWN life: I am a free-lance writer, I teach Zumba dance fitness and travel continuously with AND without my "attachments", but when I am home, there's such a comfort in my kids being around. I know some people may cherish the "aloneness", but that is NOT me! Enjoy your daughter !!!

#155413 - 08/07/08 03:04 PM Re: Empty Home First Time in 21 years [Re: bellatrue]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is an interesting post for me because I have mixed emotions about my kids flying the coop. As long as they're doing well and I can correspond with them often, and see them often, I'm totally cool with it. We raised them to be independent and so now they are. WAH! And this is coming from a woman who was a stay at home mom and revelled in it. I totally embraced the whole being a mom thing, as my husband embraced being a dad -active and always around and supportive.

Now, I'm pretty much watching from a distance and totally enjoying that too.

Since both of you are totally new to the site and may not know this, our oldest son graduated from college last year, lived home for a year to save money, and just settled on a house a week or so ago. He moved everything out of his room last weekend- everything. Now we have an empty room and instead of going in there and crying, I go in and feel so happy for him. Odd, isn't it? But this is because he is living in the city, only a couple blocks from my husband's office so I know we'll see him often. In fact, he's invited us to a party at his home this weekend and I'm tickled. We'll go and hango ut a bit, but then leave and let him and his freinds carry on.

Our youngest just graduated college and moved to the Big Apple the weekend before and he just turned 20 this week. He's a camera man at the UN building. Do I miss him? You bet I do. Does walking in hs room make me a bit sad - yes, but I'm happy for him because he's where he wants to be.

Our daughter leaves for college in a couple weeks. Fortunately, she's not far away either so I get to see her fairly often. Thank God.

So after having all three here for maybe a month this summer, they will all be gone in a couple weeks.

I'm so grateful for email, text messaging, cell phones (we're all on the same plan), etc. It makes the distance so much shorter. Don't you think? I'm also thankful for my husband and my relationship, my extended family, friends, and my work becasue this is what I need to focus on now that the kids are gone.

Fab, how old are your kids? How long before the empty nest? I recommend preparing now. I recall thinking about it and fretting, honestly fretting becasue I would be without my passion and my job. But then I launched BWS and NABBW and have a passion outside of my family - which I think they also appreciate because I'm sure I could have been an overbearing mom from a distance. Perhaps I still am at times - ha!

bella, how many children do you have? I admire you for having a big family. I think big families rock. Sometimes I wish we had another one, but it's too late now. Good for you for having so many outside interests. It's got to help keep you sane.

#155437 - 08/07/08 05:14 PM Re: Empty Home First Time in 21 years [Re: Dotsie]
Q_ball Offline

Loc: Ozarks
Bella reminds me of me when my 2nd/last {our baby now 27y/o} started kindergarten. our other son was in 2nd grade then & I wanted another baby so bad it hurt. Having c-sections & a tubal back in the early 80's recostructive surgery was new & my husband was against more kids or adoption. So, after about 5 years i gave up on another baby. Fast forward to our empty nest in 1999. It hit me like a ton of bricks, I was miserable & went through a lot of problems associated with depression etc. I adapted & now I love my empty nest even more when my husband's out too! I'm actually starved for alone time now. AND I'm not sad at all, i'm proud of the job we've done raising our kids andseeing them grown and productive is more of the reward at the end of the era for me. Not something to make me sad. My boys & one DIL live just over an hour from us. ANd I am always telling them day visits are fine, you don't have to wait till you can make a weekend out of it. In fact I'd just as soon they come in, visit, eat & go home to roost. When our youngest got married this spring, again I faced another seperation issue. They bought a house 6 miles from her Mom and added another 15 minutes distance from our home to his. I got over that too, I've decided to follow the lead of a friend of mine as far as future grandarenting goes. Be the REAL grandma that loves play time, messes without fuss, all fun! VS the close by granny that babysits daily, becomes a near 2nd mom that has to be bossy and serious. Some women are just geared to a lifetime of motherhood, I commend them. But, I was like Dotsie and a FT SAH Mom, loved every minute of it, it was my life. Now, after serious health issues and coming out the other side fine and dandy..I'm more than ready to explore my own life as simply me most of the time with an occasional Dose of Motherhood among grown kids. I look forward to Grands, but do not want to become the handy drop point everytime my kids need a sitter. No doubt my DIL's mom will be happy to quit her job and be paid Dearly to be a 2nd mommy. But, I don't see her giving up her weekends or vacations to grandparenting. Flexibility, is key, learn to roll with life's punches..when your nest emptys a room, make something out of it! i took over our guest room as my personal private "hangout", since empty nesting left both our son's rooms available for company, in addition to a fold out in the den..who needs more company than that accomidates? LOL
Dotsie has a good poit w/ all the means of communication distance isn't such an issue any more. However living close enough to my kids to see them in an hour+ drive, if I get HUG Hungry, I call, set up a time and take the clan out for dinner or something.
FAb, be gentle with yourself, it's a drastic adjustment, sometimes it rips out your heart just to see them drive away, but the excitement you feel about visits is so Neat. You'll adapt in due time. Be patient with yourself and the family, this is new to everyone..you , hubby & the newly flown off spring.

#155471 - 08/07/08 08:17 PM Re: Empty Home First Time in 21 years [Re: Q_ball]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I don't know Q Ball and Bella, because mine have been out, married and have their own kids and I still pine for them and having them around me, ALL the time!! I am still waiting for that sad feeling to go away after 46 years have passed. I feel like the kid in the back seat of the car saying, "are we there yet?"

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#155494 - 08/07/08 09:08 PM Re: Empty Home First Time in 21 years [Re: chatty lady]
Q_ball Offline

Ah Chatty, it would be so nice if your kids could read this. It's really sweet. For some my joy of empty nest freedom may be difficult to understand. To begin with my parents required me to be grown up at 10..In many ways shoving me into the role of being their keepers. Hard to believe but it's so true due to their divorce and bad habits. They were 1st to admit, I raised them more than they did me. I threw myself so totally into my sons growing up, w/ all their overlapping activities, providing them with (looking back) too many options as far as attention, activities and "toys" Little & BIG boy. LOL If something didn't revolve around my parents or children I didn't take time to do it. So, now with my folks gone and kids grown, I'm taking time to do me stuff..the near death moments I had in 05 have put urgeny on my catching up w/ put off experiences for me. I even love working outside the home.

#155505 - 08/07/08 09:34 PM Re: Empty Home First Time in 21 years [Re: Q_ball]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Well Q Ball, it sounds like your time has come. whistle Enjoy it all!

#155561 - 08/08/08 11:02 AM Re: Empty Home First Time in 21 years [Re: chatty lady]
Q_ball Offline

Thanks Chatty,
I am enjoyig all, however today my pleasure is going to see my boys, after my labs. How funny is that?, actually the garden over flows and my boys are going to get fresh produce delivered by Mom.
We'll do lunch, see what the newlyweds have done around their new home & I'll flutter off to finish my day puttering around - I really need a Home Depot fix. I'm in the mood for a new home project.

#155596 - 08/08/08 07:41 PM Re: Empty Home First Time in 21 years [Re: Q_ball]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Q Ball, that sounds like fun. I just finished a project in my home where I put NO GLARE stuff on my window in the kitchen. You can see out clearly but no one can see in and it cuts the suns glare/heat too. It was suppose to be a huge project covering 8 large double windows but I had so much trouble with the small kitchen window and made so many mistakes, the stuff is really hard to work, its sticks to itself like Saran Wrap, and alas it is at least a two person job. One to cut, one to hold etc...

Long story short, one small window ended up costing me $75.00, so I gave up. The other windows will have to remain glarry!!!

#155757 - 08/09/08 09:06 PM Re: Empty Home First Time in 21 years [Re: chatty lady]
Q_ball Offline

LOL Poor Chatty, that sounds so much like things I get into. Our intentions are the very best. All I got done at home depot was looking again & bringing home some info on my project. Did accomplish one project, I purchased a free standing Chrome {he's a motorcycle guy so he loves chrome), on SALE, TP holder magazine
rack for DH's bathroom. All he has to do now is Slide the empty TP tube off the end of the bar and slide the new roll on. LOL Now, he's not stressed with the rocket science of the spring loaded TP bar between two stationary points. At some point the man must have been tramatized by a standard TP holder, like one flew off and almost put his eye out or something? Because he can not seem to change the paper. I did place a book he's intended to read for months in the magazine rack portion & taught him to retrieve & replace it and showed him how to safely remove the empty cardboard tube & replace it with a new roll of TP. While avoiding bodily harm or trama. I really feel like he caught on quickly for no more training than he's had.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved