The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 147 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#155002 - 07/29/08 10:43 PM Found an Alternative to Potato Chips
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I'm posting this here because eating potato chips has been one of my favourite hobbies. I know, it's a stretch.

I have had an addiction to potato chips for as long as I can remember. It became an obsession when Gary got sick...when I was sitting with him in the hospital, I could not get past 3pm without a bag of chips. And ever since, I've struggled with this obsession about having chips at 3pm. No matter where I am, what I'm doing, I get that craving. I've tried cutting down, replacing with something else, all to no avail...what would happen is that I would eat the alternative (fruit, peanut butter and crackers, nuts, yogurt) and would keep on eating other things until finally I would give up, eat my bowl of chips (I did at least manage to get myself down from a bag to a small bowl) and then the craving would finally go away.

But I was determined to beat this thing. I began while away in Quebec...no chips for the entire two weeks, but the craving gnawed at me like crazy...that hour, 3-4pm was the worst time, so we tried to either play cards with the family or go for walks down by the ocean during that hour. That sort of helped.

Anyway, when we got home, we went out to get groceries and I bought a box of Post Grape Nuts Trail Mix Crunch cereal, just to try it out (at the time, didn't think of it as a substitute for chips). The next day, at 3pm, I poured myself a small bowl, no milk, and ate it. To my surprise, it more than satisfied my craving for chips. I'm delighted to say that I've been chip-free for almost a month now! And ever since I've been eating that cereal in the afternoon (over a week now), I haven't even had the craving for chips.

And it's much healthier than chips, full of vitamins and essential nutrients (and raisins too). Okay, I'm sounding like an ad now. I know I'm rambling here. I just wanted to share, because I'm SURE I'm not the only one addicted to potato chips! This is the first thing I've ever tried as a substitute that's worked.

(Maya Angelou)

#155003 - 07/29/08 11:07 PM Re: Found an Alternative to Potato Chips [Re: Eagle Heart]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Eagle, congratulations on making the switch from potato chips to grape nuts. The salt and the crunchiness of the chips can be very addicting. But, becareful eating TOO much of the grape nuts.....consequences!

#155004 - 07/29/08 11:22 PM Re: Found an Alternative to Potato Chips [Re: Cookie]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Ah, yes, Cookie, the, er, consequences...let's just say that a very small bowl goes a long way...

(Maya Angelou)

#155005 - 07/29/08 11:28 PM Re: Found an Alternative to Potato Chips [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Can't stand grape nuts. Ew...now where did I put that bag of chips....

Honestly...I make my own trail mix. It has replaced my snacks, almost. I still have banana popsicles though.

I use dried pineapples, cranberries, walnuts, almonds, soy nuts, peanuts, raisins, and golden raisins, and the kitchen sink, if it's clean. LOL!

#155006 - 07/30/08 02:35 AM Re: Found an Alternative to Potato Chips [Re: Eagle Heart]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
How about unbuttered popcorn?

#155007 - 07/30/08 02:37 AM Re: Found an Alternative to Potato Chips [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
If on sale, I stock up on the Swedish rye crackers, etc.
Raisins, like just now.
My problem is slicing off too many pieces of soy cheese. There are some good brands! :0
And lots of munchable fresh fruit in small bits --ie. plums, grapes, blackberries (Pacific Northwest coast gets huge ones), blueberries, raspberries and cherries.

#155008 - 07/30/08 03:17 AM Re: Found an Alternative to Potato Chips [Re: orchid]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Unbuttered popcorn is like kissing you sister...what's the point?

I LOVE those Rye crackers, though. Yum! And the fresh fruits.

#155009 - 07/30/08 07:20 AM Re: Found an Alternative to Potato Chips [Re: jawjaw]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I had to wean myself off chips as well. Trail mix was good but, "Happy trails..." became a theme song.

Marks and Spencers have good apple crisps (which is what they call chips here) and that's what I have been buying lately.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved