The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#15467 - 12/18/05 06:05 PM Re: How to be compassionate
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Southern people are so compassionate. I was doing a trade show in Lexington and was a little late getting set up. You should see the stuff I cart in to display on my table! A lady had a question about something and my throat was so dry I could barely croak out a couple of words. She immediately brought me 2 cups of water/ice. It touched me that she was so kind. After the show, the hospital (Shriners Hosp.) gave each of us a hospital t-shirt - and we vendors NEVER get any appreciation. I love southern hospitality!

When I was in Paris, we ran into a very friendly Frenchman, but my French friend who I was with said it was because he was a transplanted Italian man - haha!

Daisygirl

#15468 - 12/18/05 07:02 PM Re: How to be compassionate
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I also love the Southern people and I'm really going to miss them when I move.

Will you ladies do me a favor...be compassionate! If I start saying--you betcha, okey dokey or yaw, will you come to MN and take me away? [Big Grin] [Wink]

#15469 - 12/19/05 01:19 AM Re: How to be compassionate
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
People in NE often display the Yankee reserve we're so famous for. But I find a smile gets a positive response most times. It makes me feel so much better to smile at everyone I see that I've taken to doing it automatically.

#15470 - 12/19/05 02:57 AM Re: How to be compassionate
Vi Offline

Some of my family married Southerners, people who "never know a stranger." I agree they are very friendly people. Some country folk are that way too. I live in a rural part of Oregon. When my friend/neighbor's house burned several years ago, people showed up from all over to help them tear out the burned sections and start rebuilding. They didn't have any house insurance. A lot of the people who showed up didn't even know my friends. They just came with their tools and asked what they could do, and started doing it. They donated things. It was very heart warming.

#15471 - 12/19/05 12:12 PM Re: How to be compassionate
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
Vi, fabulous idea about the compassion thing!! And Dotsie, I like assignments too, well, I always love giving them anyways....

Dianne, my mother was from the south, but we grew up near Chicago. I moved to North Dakota for 18 years. So here's me : "Ya'll come over and let's go to da bears game, we'll have a great time, you betcha' !!! (and I think I've posted before, people in ND and Mn do too sound just like the movie "Fargo" !! Me included. Atho when I worked on the phones making reservations for Choice Hotels, people would call me the midwestern version of Fran Drescher!!! So imagine Fran Drescher saying all the above!!!!! LOL..

#15472 - 12/19/05 07:51 PM Re: How to be compassionate
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I'm picturing it. I'm getting there. [Big Grin]

In the South, you can say horrible things about someone but if you follow it with a, bless her heart, it softens the words. Always cracked me up.

#15473 - 12/20/05 08:56 AM Re: How to be compassionate
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Now when Sammie starts saying "yaw, you betcha, and okee dokee, I promise to come a runnin and save you both, lol

#15474 - 12/19/05 11:21 PM Re: How to be compassionate
MossPatch Offline

Loc: Midwest
Actually, it's "yahh, shurr, ya betcha." [Wink]

#15475 - 12/20/05 02:31 AM Re: How to be compassionate
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I guess I wasn't putting the right touch to those words. [Big Grin] Thanks Chatty. I haven't even developed a southern accent yet and I'm having to change regions again.

Diz said she wanted to be rescued too but because of the cold. Brrrrr

#15476 - 12/20/05 06:25 AM Re: How to be compassionate
Vi Offline

I grew up in Oregon, but the old people in my dad's family spoke "country". It was sort of like those who lived in the South and I loved it. So now, I'm writing a novel starring the old women in my family - fictionalized storyline. And I'm putting in all the you betchas, the tarnations, and the holy cows and all that. I love it. I makes me feel closer to them. I just love them. All of them are dead now. But I see them in my head and I hear them sometimes. And it's like they are with me. I believe they are. They were all strong women, with soft loving hearts who would give your their last bit of food, and you were always welcome at their house. We need more of that now. That's why I'm writing this story.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved