The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 138 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#153276 - 07/13/08 12:29 PM Daughter and SIL Can't Catch a Break
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
My daughter and SIL just can't seem to catch a break. They've had nothing but one bad situation after another for the last 18 months or so.

My daughter was pregnant and ended up with gestational diabetes and had to quit her job, ended up in the hospital and had her baby 5 weeks early.

During that time, my SIL had no job even though he was going to Job Services every day looking for one, he was out of work for almost 3 months. They came to us when they got a notice about their mortgage and we caught them up on that and their bills too.

Just recently, the state had a computer glitch and sent out cancellation notices to a ton of people for their state assistance programs (food stamps, medical care, cash assistance, etc) and my daughter and SIL were one of those who got cut. ARGH!!! Who knows when it'll be fixed!

Now, my SIL is in the hospital with a brain tumor. He had a seizure Friday morning and my daughter found him on the floor. He had another seizure at the hospital.

High note? He's in the best hospital in the state for neurosurgery. Tampa General. They transferred him there Saturday night.

Low note? If he bends over and coughs he will die.

My daughter has been under a doctor's care, taking anti-anxiety meds. She's so stressed out, she doesn't know if she's coming or going. She can't think straight most of the time. When she takes the meds, at least she's calmer and she's more like herself, but still not quite capable of taking care of much of anything.

Which leads me to her 5 month old daughter. My granddaughter. I've had her since Friday. And, probably will continue to take care of her for some time until my daughter gets stronger and can get through this, and at least until after my SIL has his surgery. She doesn't trust anyone else to take care of her, not even my SIL's parents.

Because my daughter is distraught and taking meds, she can't drive, I've been driving up to her house (over 30 miles away) and picking her up and taking her to the hospital (another 50 miles) and back again, then home. Whew! Oh, please, I'm not complaining. Only trying to put some perspective on this.

Thanks for listening. I've been holding that in for a while and needed to get it out. I haven't had anyone to spill my guts to, I keep meaning to call my mom, but haven't had a moment to myself to do so.

If you could send up a quick prayer request for my daughter and SIL that everything turn out okay for them, I'd appreciate it.

And, again. Thanks for listening. I really appreciate it.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#153277 - 07/13/08 12:41 PM Re: Daughter and SIL Can't Catch a Break [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Vicki, you have my prayers, for you, your daughter, your SIL and grandchild. I am sincerely sorry that your family is experiencing so many financial and health issues. I am happy that you stepped up and shared. We are all hear to listen.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#153278 - 07/13/08 01:10 PM Re: Daughter and SIL Can't Catch a Break [Re: Anno]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Vicki, I am praying hard that your sil gets well very soon. It helps to know that he has the best care. It's good that your daughter is also getting the care she needs.
It must be overwelming for you with so much on your plate. Is it possible to stay at your daughter's home so you won't have that drive.
Does the state have emergency services for those who got cut? They should.
Vicki, hang in there. Our prayers will help you find strenght to carry on.
Thanks for sharing with us and Vicki...call your Mom.
Luv and prayer,

#153279 - 07/13/08 03:57 PM Re: Daughter and SIL Can't Catch a Break [Re: chickadee]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Good grief, what a load to carry. I'm including you and your family in my prayers Vicki. Keep us posted. How on earth can you keep this all to yourself?! Hopefully your grandchild will bring some sunshine in your life, and you will be able to protect her from the stress going on.

#153280 - 07/13/08 05:18 PM Re: Daughter and SIL Can't Catch a Break [Re: Edelweiss]
Mountain Ash Offline

This is a sad time and I so hope things get better soon.
Take care of yourself so you can take care of the others.
Keep us posted.
Mountain ash

#153281 - 07/13/08 09:02 PM Re: Daughter and SIL Can't Catch a Break [Re: Mountain Ash]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Vicki, my prayers are with you and your family.

#153282 - 07/13/08 10:40 PM Re: Daughter and SIL Can't Catch a Break [Re: ]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Oh my gosh, sweetie...how sad you've held on to this alone for so long...and how strong you are for still sounding optimistic at such a time of stress. I'm sending hug angels, destress angels, singing angels and comfort angels your way...my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Bless your heart.

#153283 - 07/14/08 03:19 AM Re: Daughter and SIL Can't Catch a Break [Re: Dee]
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
Oh my, and I was going to vent. So sorry you are going through this.
I will add you to my very long prayer list :-)

Kate

#153284 - 07/14/08 10:43 AM Re: Daughter and SIL Can't Catch a Break [Re: katebcca]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Thank you, ladies, dear boomer sisters. It felt so good to get it all out.

Yes, I did call my mom, and it was so comforting to talk to her.

I truly appreciate the thoughts and prayers. My daughter and SIL need all they can get during this time.

Today is the big day. We hear from the neurology team and the head neurosurgeon about my SIL's prognosis.

In the next couple of days, I'm going to suggest to my daughter that I get a hotel room (my daughter doesn't have any spare room at her house) and I help out during the day with her and my granddaughter. Or she can come to my house and stay. Her choice. But, she'll probably choose her house, as she has pets to take care of at home.

My husband supports this decision and said that said that he would take care of my dog Jack and my bird Bailey while I was away. Which is really something, because my bird doesn't like him at all. :-)

I have to hold onto this quote from Voltaire. "Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe. It is not enough that a thing be possible for it to be believed."

I believe my SIL will be fine.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#153285 - 07/14/08 11:31 AM Re: Daughter and SIL Can't Catch a Break [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
So sorry to hear about all this, keeping you and your family in my prayers.

Maybe you daughter can get a neighbor or someone to take care of her pets, so she and your grandaughter can come stay with you, if that makes things a little easier on you?

Or the hotel room is a good option too.

Hope the neurologist has positive news today.

Lots of prayers headed your way.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved