The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#152730 - 07/05/08 07:54 PM Boomerangs
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
As you all know, all three of our kids are back in the nest for about a month. So far, so good. I'm trying to mind my own business and it seems to be working. I'm also setting up different family dinners in local restaurants. We're heading out for one tonight. All five of us, if you can imagine that on a Stuarday night. Of course, it is Ross and my night out, but the kids will certainly be going out after dinner. What a hoot. Dinner with family is enough for us, but it's just the beginning of the night for them. There are many less distractions when eating out so hopefully we'll all get to sit and talk like civil adults.

What else do you do with your grown children other than dinnes out?

#152731 - 07/05/08 11:19 PM Re: Boomerangs
Q_ball Offline

Loc: Ozarks
Listen & never let them see you shocked, guide very gently, expose your own bad judgement at their age, Praise them, Listen (did I say that already?), listen to them talk to each other while they figure you to be totally absorbed in something else (an insiteful manuver), cook with them, ask for their help doing something you've put off..it really makes them feel part of the homestead again & mature that the folks need them for a change. As a former Boomerrang Mom, 'do not loose control of your household', it is a home not the Holiday Inn. You are the parent - even though they are adults, you're not their concearige. LOVE, Enjoy and treasure the time. It passes too fast and in hind site, even with all the adjustments on everyone's part, You miss it. Wwhen our son stayed with us, he offered to do the cooking one night a week. LOL Don't think he expected me to accept But I did. And he seemed to enjoy it & find his way into the kitchen often helping me when it wasn't his night. He said his cook-night was for me to completely stay out of the kitchen..once he relearned where everything was. We even pulled out silly games like Ker-Plunk and Jenga and Laughed at ourselves being childish, & did a puzzle in the den.

#152732 - 07/06/08 07:37 AM Re: Boomerangs [Re: Q_ball]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
The current rave is the Wii. My son has got one, I have one and my daughter has as well. The children, SIL and future DIL are very competitive with it. It's really hilarious to see them at play and listen to their commentaries. Before this contraption, we played scrabble and monopoly. The latter dominated by my son's quirks because he forgets sometimes that it's just play money. Quite funny really because my son is a frustrated comedian and ad libs his way as he piles up on real estate investments.

#152733 - 07/06/08 07:11 PM Re: Boomerangs [Re: Lola]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Great advice... I will make this short Lola and just agree with what Q Ball said above. I had to laugh at the title of the thread, 'Boomerang' and the one above it was 'Wheelchair', boy talk about a variety in threads...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#152734 - 07/06/08 07:12 PM Re: Boomerangs [Re: Lola]
Q_ball Offline

Loc: Ozarks
Lola, You're so very right about seeing our grown 'children' at play. It is some of the most wonderful entertainment. I've been thinking of getting a Wii..everyone raves about it. The boys and I used to be Video Game junkies in winter once all the critters were fed.

How goes it Dotsie? You seem like the type mom/parents that would enjoy whatever it is you do with your kids.

#152735 - 07/10/08 10:45 AM Re: Boomerangs [Re: Q_ball]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
qball, so much great advice in one post.THANKS!

Your comment about listening without them knowing has served me well through the years. I always got a kick out of driving a car load of kids and acting like I was removed while driving. I learned some interesting tidbits while doing so. There's alays one kid who blabs all without thinking.

We cook together. In fact, last night Ross and I cooked for our son's anniversary dinner. This is the son who cooks about 4-5 nights a week. He ended up finishing up cooking the meal with us when he got home. I love company in the kitchen, It makes it so much more fun.

My daughter is a puzzle do-er. In fact, we have one almost completed on our kitchen counter right now. I'm her helper, but she is much more patient than I.

Your son sounds delightful!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved