Ladies, I learned about this study when soemone emailed me and asked if I'd be kind enough to post it in my forums. Of course I'm happy to help. See if you can be of any help. Well, maybe not you, but a male you know - HA.

Nationwide Prostate Cancer Study Being Conducted
Volunteers needed to participate in clinical research study.

Researchers are currently conducting a study to compare the effectiveness of two procedures in treating low-risk, localized prostate cancer.

One of the procedures being tested is cryotherapy (freeze therapy), a commonly used minimally invasive treatment for localized prostate cancer that already is approved for treatment by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). In the study, cryotherapy will be compared with an investigational procedure that uses high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU). This procedure is not approved by the FDA. This comparison will help researchers and the FDA understand if HIFU is as safe and effective as cryotherapy.

Previous studies of this form of HIFU treatment conducted among men with low-risk prostate cancer in Europe have shown negative biopsy rates ranging from 82 to 93 percent. Approximately 13,000 men have been treated to-date with HIFU worldwide.

A number of treatment options are available to men with low-risk prostate cancer, including prostatectomy, radiotherapy, and cryotherapy. Each comes with its own side effects that must be weighed carefully by men and their spouses and families when making treatment decisions.

In the last several years, minimally invasive treatment options, of which cryotherapy is one, have been examined more closely to determine what benefits they may offer over other standard therapies. The goal of minimally invasive options is to reduce the impact of the treatment on the patient, resulting in quicker recovery and fewer side effects, while maintaining the effectiveness of standard treatments.

To be eligible to participate in the study, volunteers must meet specific criteria, including having a diagnosis of localized prostate cancer and being a male, aged 60 or older. To learn more about the study, call toll-free at 1-888-707-3737 or visit www.PCaResearch.com.