The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 145 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#150798 - 06/21/08 12:34 AM Re: Daughter has moved 3000 miles away!! [Re: humlan]
AbbyK Offline

Loc: Beverly, MA
Thank you all so much for your kind words and encouragement. My therapist suggested emailing my daughter for a bit instead of speaking on the phone. I tend not to be my best at times speaking to her, but there are no hysterics, on my part, when I type to her. I will admit upfront, I have not been the most supportive parent to her. I resented her moving so far away, especially when I was hurt from the death of my mother. For about 75% of the time, I am fine with her choice, and we have wonderful conversations. But the other times, I tend to brood, get depressed - it's like it just comes over me. I'm done with menopause, but don't your hormones go haywire for awhile?
I've been wearing an elastic on my wrist and when my thoughts start to get me into trouble, I snap it, and I snap out of it. Primitive, I know, but it seems to be helping me.

#150799 - 07/10/08 03:43 PM Re: Daughter has moved 3000 miles away!! [Re: AbbyK]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Abby, Love the idea of wearing the band and snapping. I bet we could all use that reminder.

Just wondering if you're getting use to the idea that she's so far away.

Our son has been in Florida going to shcool. He just graduated and is home briefly before moving to NY. His major is filmmaking. I'm counting my blessings that it's NY and not LA. I can certainly understand how you feel. It's like we raise thema nd then we have to be totally cool and accepting of whatever they do. Not easy, even if they're on the right track.

#150800 - 07/10/08 11:51 PM Re: Daughter has moved 3000 miles away!! [Re: AbbyK]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Oh..I LOVE the idea of the elastic band! Gotta try that! I am also one of these people where thoughts and emotions run away with me..and I am not always so nice then..to myself or others. What a wonderful idea..to remind oneself by!!!!

Good luck,AbbyK..it ainĀ“t easy being a mom or a saint ..he he!!!

#150801 - 07/19/08 07:53 PM Re: Daughter has moved 3000 miles away!! [Re: humlan]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
The snapping band is a great idea. And yes our hormones can run wild for years after we are supposedly through with menopause. I believe that as we age and our bodies begin to wear out our minds and emotions are affected too. Why wouldn't they be? They are also losing nutrients etc. needed to keep them sharp for all those earlir years. We just need to do the best we can do, and ABOVE ALL remember, we were young once too, made our own mistakes and now we MUST allow our children to grow up and do the same, whether we like it or not!!!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#150802 - 07/28/08 09:32 PM Re: Daughter has moved 3000 miles away!! [Re: humlan]
mrsrock582 Offline

Wow...i'm a newbie and actually just google searched to find any comfort in the fact that my 19-yr old daughter is planning on moving to Southern CA in about a year. We live in Maine! She has a friend that she just visited there and loves it. Hates our winters and I can't blame her for that. I also can't argue with her since I moved 2500 miles away from my mom, to Texas, for 7 years! So it is coming back to bite me in the butt and I've already shed MANY tears even though it hasn't happened yet. I'm trying to be supportive and we talk a lot about it. My only wish to her was that she not go on a whim without preparation. I asked her to save her money and plan well so that it won't be so hard. Sigh....
This looks like a wonderful site so I think I will stick around as I am ALSO dealing with elderly parents who have been in and out of the hospital recently. What a roller-coaster of emotions!
Btw I recently turned 55.

#150803 - 07/28/08 11:44 PM Re: Daughter has moved 3000 miles away!! [Re: mrsrock582]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Welcome mrsrock582! How the heck did I miss your post? Please do not think us unkind..so many times we overlook post and then we'll see them, eventually. I'm so happy you've found us and that you want to stick around. We really are a great bunch of old broads. You are so right about the roller-coaster syndrome with caring for our parents. Up and down...down and up. It can be exhausting. Any time you need to unwind, just come on it and let your hair down.

I think Maine is so beautiful...

Again, WELCOME!

#150804 - 07/29/08 11:38 AM Re: Daughter has moved 3000 miles away!! [Re: jawjaw]
Mountain Ash Offline

Yes I missed this post too,

So hello from Scotland..and yes life changes are just that Change.Which is always unsettling.
Mountain ash

#150805 - 07/29/08 12:11 PM Re: Daughter has moved 3000 miles away!! [Re: Mountain Ash]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
mrsrock, welcome to the forums. You have lots of roller coasters in your life right now, and you must feel overwhelmed at times.

When I am feeling like too much in happening in life, I often come here to vent and listen to others. I hope you will find the same warmth here as I have.

Welcome! Ann

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#150806 - 07/29/08 01:13 PM Re: Daughter has moved 3000 miles away!! [Re: Anno]
mrsrock582 Offline

Thank you all...seems a good place to frequent and give and receive support. Thanks!

#150807 - 07/29/08 08:44 PM Re: Daughter has moved 3000 miles away!! [Re: mrsrock582]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Howdy mrsrock582, Glad to have you on board. Yes, by all means do stick around, the info is free, honest and usually helpful. Plus others can also learn much from what you are experiencing. We have, some of us, been there, done that!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved