The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 139 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#149886 - 06/08/08 06:00 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: Edelweiss]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Although I don't cook (my partner does all the cooking) I have a couple of cookbooks that I use occasionally - one is vegetarian Cajun recipes and the other is a dessert cookbook that uses no sugar (honey, molasses, etc. is used instead). I also have my Mom's old English cookbook - I think it is Women's Institute. I recently acquired one we sold at the Humane Society as a fundraiser - it has fun recipes for people and for pets. It's gathering dust on the shelf along with all the others! LOL
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#149887 - 06/08/08 08:29 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: yonuh]
summersRain Offline

Loc: California
My first was Better Homes and Gardens. Now, when I want to feel saintly, I use my South Beach Diet cookbooks.

#149888 - 06/08/08 11:25 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: summersRain]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I have several, and have three favorites:
*Justin Wilson's Homegrown Louisiana
*Texas Home Cooking
*International Cookbook (Betty Crocker)

#149889 - 06/09/08 02:20 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: gims]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
My favorite is also Sundays at the Moosewood. But I have a James Beard book from years back which is my "bible" for all the basics. I also keep a Joy of Cooking around and about 30 ethnic cookbooks.

I tend to read them, too, and never really follow a recipe completely. I use them to get basic ideas, then sort of make it up depending on the ingredients I have on hand.

My first? I don't remember the names (I still have it, but I can't find anything right now) but one was a vegetarian soup cook book and the other a tantric bread book. Made the best bread! Those days are over, tho.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#149890 - 06/09/08 02:22 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: gims]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I have cookbooks running out the ying yang. I absolutely LOVE reading them. I have all of Taste of Home yearly recipe books for the past 10 or 15 years, Better Homes and Garden, Betty Crocker's, and on and on and on...

My favorite though is called Calling All Cooks and it was done by the BellSouth Operators a bazillion years ago.

I have another one, Mrs. Mary Bo Bo's Boarding House Cookbook which was done by ah...Mrs. Mary...but it is from the restaurant in the town of Lynchburg, Tennessee where the Jack Daniels distillery is located. Their food is out of this world.

I also have one, can't think of the name of it, but it has all of the secret recipes like the batter for KFC, Red Lobster's Cheese Biscuits, TGIFriday's stuff, and other well-known restaurants...it's a fun one.

I also have a cookbook project in the works. I'll reveal more as it takes wings.

#149891 - 06/09/08 04:30 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: jawjaw]
Mountain Ash Offline

There is a Womans organisation in Scotland "The Womans Rural Institute" similar to the English "Womans Institute" of Calendar girls fame.The cookbook from that is my favourite.
Older editions have the member and home county beside their recipe.Indeed there are several options for each item.
Starters soups and meals then baking.jams marmalade bottling freezing.Each county has an emblem and there are competitions locally then wider afield.
My copy of the WRI Cookbook is forty years old. and has recipes telling how to make an old hen fit for eating.Poor hen no doubt at the end of her laying days.All the recipes are foolproof.
Do women elsewhere meet like this..? once a month.When I was a young wife I had suppressed giggles at the start of the meeting..such serious attitudes (to my unformed brain)
I dont go to the meetings now but support it fully in other ways.
Mountain ash

#149892 - 06/09/08 04:32 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: Mountain Ash]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I have so many cookbooks; really need to go through them and give
some away. Hard to dust all of them LOL!
But I love that old Joy of Cooking!

#149893 - 06/09/08 05:52 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: diamond50]
QBall101 Offline

Speaking of cooking & recipe following, LOl everytime my MIL eats something I've cooked she asks for the recipe. After I give it to her she always says: " And What did you do to it?" I can't seem to reisit the urge to tweak recipes.

#149894 - 06/09/08 07:07 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: QBall101]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
JJ...you're working on a cookbook? Goodness, woman, when do you find the time?

Who has been to Savanah to Lady and Son's (aka Paula Deen) restaurant? larry and I went but could not get a seat...so popular....but, my ex-DIL gave me one of her cook books. Her food is delicious but goodness...loaded with real butter and true southern fat.
I have to say I LOVE cooking at christmas and go stupid in the baking department. Last year I baked so much that I had tons of left overs (cookies of all sorts, cakes, etc.). maybe this year I'll try making candies...or not.
I love the Christmas baking mags that come out around October.
I'm still looking for that melt-in-your-mouth coconut cake recipe Mamaw made when I was a child. Does anyone have a coconut cake recipe that is to die for?

#149895 - 06/09/08 07:20 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: Dee]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
JJ is it a funny cook book?
I have a cook book where my comments are a trip up memory lane. I wrote on the side who I experimented the recipe on, what occasion it was, and if it was blech or hmmm good. I got quite a few blah and yucky comments. Meanwhile I think I can read a recipe and tell if it will taste good or not.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved