The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#149876 - 06/01/08 08:14 PM Favorite cookbook?
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
What is yours?

I got my favorite as "points gift" when I had a Tupperware party in 1977. It's a Better Homes and Gardens three-ring binder type. Red/white checked covers.

I use it for EVERYTHING from how to perk coffee to making Zucchini Cheese Casserole...and it SHOWS the years!

#149877 - 06/02/08 06:26 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: Di]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I have so many cookbooks it is hard to pick just one. But...I think Marcia Adams Cooking From Quilt Country has to be one of my favorites. There is lots of old fashion recipes in her cookbooks, which I like. I have made 2 picturesque cookbooks for myself over the last several years of all the recipes that I have made, and still make.

#149878 - 06/03/08 02:44 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: Cookie]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
I got my first cookbook when I got married. It was a Betty Crocker three ring binder also. Matter of fact, I still have it. It's funny, though, because some of the receipes have to be updated now. It's about 37 years old.

Through the years, I've used different books or made some from the favorite receipes handed down through the family. I helped my mother make cookbooks for the grandkids of some of her favorite recipes as well as the ones the grandkids liked of hers. That was a lot of fun and they still have them although mom is gone now.

Lately, though, my favorite cookbooks are those of Paula Deen. I really like hers. She has such a variety.
www.tidedancer.com

#149879 - 06/03/08 10:18 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: Sandpiper]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I have about 30 but the only one I look at is the original Moosewood, "Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant." Multi-ethnic vegetarian, which is how I eat.

Poet and essayist

#149880 - 06/03/08 10:37 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: meredithbead]
Q_ball Offline

Loc: Ozarks
OH Gosh, choosing a fav cookbook is like picking one child over the other for me. LOL However, When we first married my DH suggested (don't know why? LOL) that I accept the Annual Southern Living cookbook offer. From there we got one every year for 10 years, plus a master index. Granted a lot of their recipes are way too long and fussy for my liking, but over the years at Thanksgiving when I pull out the 1st one and theres the messy splatered page w/ Texas Peacn Pie, or the one w/ our fav dressing/stuffing...those would be my treasures. Even my sons comment with loving/jokes at the obvious years of using those recipes. The Pecan Pie Recipe was requested by my DIL as one she'd like on her Wedding Shower Recipe Cards. I've probably got near 100 cookbooks, some my MIL gave me, some are handwritten by my Mom used when I was a kid, DH buys me one occasionally, one my sons gave me when they were in K. & 2nd grades (complete with their little "To Mom - From" notes), the community fund raisers are always fun too. I love reading cookbooks! LOL

#149881 - 06/03/08 11:17 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: Q_ball]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Quote:

I love reading cookbooks! LOL

Oh, me too! As I peruse them, I am taking a mental inventory of what I have on hand to see if it's a "do-able" recipe. Then I mark it for later.

I love reading maps and dictionaries, too!!

Edited by Di (06/03/08 11:18 PM)

#149882 - 06/04/08 04:59 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: Di]
Q_ball Offline

Loc: Ozarks
Di, me too on maps and dictionaries, I even read the bi-lingual assembly instruction & compare them to the English version..in hopes I might learn something? When I see maps I look at fun routes off the interstates to get from point A to B, then research the towns that would be gone through. Seldom fo these trips happen but, it's fun to plan an escape even if it's only for an afternoon of considering it. I like my cookbooks that have personal stories or coments from the submitter with the recipes. Say, do you get the Kraft Food & Family magaizne? You can sign up for it online it's free & sent out 4 times a year I think. DH & I enjoy it and most recipes are reasonable & naturally using Kraft products. Speaking of DH, being paged! He so needs a hobby. LOL

#149883 - 06/08/08 12:48 AM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Betty Crocker, Julia Child is not exactly part of my history nor my natural palate.

However I love some French dishes which we have done…such as from this cute book: http://www.amazon.com/Pedaling-Through-Provence-Cookbook-Sarah/dp/0761102337

I seem to have cookbooks, but don’t use many recipes from them. I guess I like the idea of creative cooking when I pore over the recipes.

Have some good Asian and Asian fusion cookbooks. I like a cookbook with many creative recipes which may combine the author’s travels in a foodie way, history snippets of the feature cuisine

http://www.gunghaggisfatchoy.com/blog/RevChanLegacyProject/_archives/2005/8/9/1122948.html Cookbook I bought as a gift for several family members. It has meaning because my father worked in a Chinese-Canadian restaurant his whole life. And the Chinese restaurant phenomena has a historical thread in North America..since that’s where many of the Chinese men went to work after the national railroads were built. Recipes are more homey..in tune.

I have a cookbook by Ken Hom, http://www.kenhomcooks.com/mystory/index.html where he goes back to China and learns/samples regional cuisine. The book is out of print..and now, valuable to me. Hom’s dishes are more traditional, authentic Chinese. Ming Tsai originally from Ohio, who is more well-known to some American audiences, seem to use more creams, sugars..more French influences in some pan-Asian fusion dishes, I find abit more heavy and sometimes more complex to prepare. But I would recommend as quality stuff fusion: http://www.ming.com/

Martin Yan has improved in his self-presentation and diversified his recipes…excellent in traditional Chinese recipes from China also from Chinese communities worldwide. You have to understand that Chinese cooking in Hawaii, Carribbean, Peru, Singapore and Malayasia, each get influenced by their locales. http://www.yancancook.com/

This Australian-Chinese chick-chef, is cool also. http://www.kyliekwong.org/home.aspx

All of the above people, cook and speak with passion about a cuisine …that is on par with French cuisine.

As for my cooking techniques..most of it is from memory…from my mother. My steamed savoury egg custards, steamed chicken, etc…seaweed soups. I’ve never consulted a recipe book for these dishes that I learned from mother.

#149884 - 06/08/08 02:29 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: orchid]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Cook books are awesome and I have several. I love one called "Le Cordon Bleu At Home" and in the store the book looked user-friendly. Until I tried to make something...then I learned I had to go to page 'whatever' to make this ingredient...then to another page to make this or that and then another page with tons of ingredients to make this...all for one recipe. It's been sitting on a shelf with my other cook books that aren't user friendly. But, they can sure be pretty to look at.

#149885 - 06/08/08 05:38 PM Re: Favorite cookbook? [Re: Dee]
Happy Birthday Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Joy of Cooking has been my Cooking Bible over the years. I also found some of the best recipies on packages. And I used to love Cooking magazines...but alas;...Hubby has taken over that department.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved