The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 116 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#1487 - 02/14/05 07:12 PM Lent?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What are you doing for Lent? Every day I consider making a commitment to do something additional for my faith journey during Lent, but I've come up with nothing. Any ideas? I'm losing time.

#1488 - 02/15/05 10:48 AM Re: Lent?
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Hey Dot,

I usually give up something that might be getting in the way of my relationship with God. For example, one year I gave up shopping, because I had become focused on material things (amazing how these things sneek up on you). Another time it may be just giving up on a social life for the 40 days.

Here is a secular example that really didn't mean much to me at the time. But I am glad that it was something that would help me to understand what was needed during this time.

About 17 years ago when I worked in Germany for the Department of Defense, my boss had come into work one day and made this announcement. He had warned us that he would most likely be difficult to deal with during this following week. He told us that he wasn't going to smoke, drink beer, eat any butter, and I forgot what else. He was going to give all that up until 4:30PM on Friday, I remember this, and I just figured that maybe it was a medical thing and he would have to have some tests or something.

Anyway, by the time of the close of business on Friday, he lit up a cigarette, and I asked him why did he do this. His answer was, discipline. He said that he puts himself through all of this once in awhile in order to stay disciplined. I didn't really think anything of it at the time, but I respected him for that.

This is probably the best analogy I can think of when it comes to observing Lent. This I beleive could be applied to prayer and fasting as well. It certainly makes sense to me now.

I hope this helps Dot, or anyone else for that matter.

Bless your Heart,
Cathi

#1489 - 02/16/05 08:00 AM Re: Lent?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Cathi, I love it. I grew up giving up fun foods for Lent. I was raised Catholic.

Now I believe in innitiating good habits. Last year I tried writing a note a day to someone I thought might appreciate it. It lasted about two weeks. I guess I didn't take my commitment seriously.

#1490 - 02/16/05 08:23 AM Re: Lent?
angelsmuse Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Since I am dieting I am trying to use that to become closer to Jesus through prayer. I am taking one day a week to fast and offering that day up to God as a prayer for some group that desperately needs my prayer. I figure the least I can do is suffer and offer it up to God since he suffered and died for me. I am also trying to increase the amount of time I spend in prayer and even on the days when I don't fast I offer them up to God. This may not sound like much but it's what I'm doing.

Angel [Wink]

#1491 - 02/22/05 05:13 AM Re: Lent?
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
I've decided what to give up my shyness for Lent. [Big Grin]

#1492 - 02/22/05 05:22 AM Re: Lent?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Angelmuse every thing we do and offer to God is a big thing, nothing is unimportant. We do what we can do when we can do it and it all counts.

#1493 - 02/23/05 08:13 AM Re: Lent?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Angel the good thing about doing something during Lent is it can become a new habit. Perhaps this will happen for you.

Julie, are you really shy?

#1494 - 02/28/05 04:46 AM Re: Lent?
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
Inherently shy. An inherited disposition that I have to work against.Hard work unless I have a role to hide behind. It takes a long time to warm up with people. Walking into a room of strangers is a trial. And it doesn't get any easier with age.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved