The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#148227 - 05/09/08 06:07 AM Check this out...
gims Offline

Loc: USA

#148228 - 05/09/08 07:04 AM Re: Check this out... [Re: gims]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Very interesting gims. Thanks for posting these links.
Maybe there is something to that, about a cancer gene.
On my side of the family no one has ever gotton cancer, and we know that about 4 generations back.
On my husbands side; three of his siblings have died of cancer and both parents as well.
Hopefully they can find the key to all this.

#148229 - 05/09/08 07:23 AM Re: Check this out... [Re: Edelweiss]
gims Offline

The big 'C' doesn't run in my family, either. But, my grandmother supposedly died of some intestinal cancer. One sister has had it and I've had nodes taken from my neck (benign). But 'C' scares the s*** out of me. It runs in my husband's family big time, which opens the door for my babies. I was so excited when I read this article... so very, very excited. Along with neurochemistry/pharma, neurobiology, neuropsych... well, anything neuro, when they discover something new, my ears perk up.

#148230 - 05/09/08 01:09 PM Re: Check this out... [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
My mom is from a family of nine children. Only one is still living. Of the eight that have died, five had cancer.

I am not afraid of cancer. I've seen so much of it. Many have died, but more recently, many are surviving. I think we're getting somewhere with treatments. I also believe preventative medicine is key. If we don't feel well, we should do something about it. Ignorance kills.

#148231 - 05/09/08 01:22 PM Re: Check this out...
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Interesting research: RBM3 genes? Thanks for the postings.

#148232 - 05/09/08 01:37 PM Re: Check this out... [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I agree, thanks for the info.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#148233 - 05/12/08 07:41 PM Re: Check this out... [Re: chatty lady]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Thanks for the info, gims. I am scared of the big "C"..I wish that could be as balanced about it as you are, Dotsie. But it scares me..And there are many here that have had cancer.. and from in between the lines sometimes..I think I can feel the battles and the pain..and the strength and the vulnerability..please remember as you read this that I have lost a daughter, many years ago now..from a long term illness..not cancer..but a liver illness.

I liked hearing about all the people on this thread and their relatives that do not have cancer..often you hear about those that do..naturally and of course. But it kinda scares me then..I am hopeless..I know!

Thanks again, gims!

#148234 - 05/17/08 10:45 PM Re: Check this out... [Re: humlan]
gims Offline

Glad to share... it's about time some good things start coming out of the many years of research and the money spent... it's mind boggling to imaging the $$$'s raised by Jerry Lewis and there's still no answer in that medical arena.

#148235 - 05/22/08 01:16 AM Re: Check this out... [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
The original research for anti-angiogenesis started in the 1960's with Dr. Judah Folkman, and it took over 20 years before positive results were documented. Hubbo & I saw Dr. Folkman at a lecture at UCI Medical School ~a year ago. Every success in research leads to more ideas -- and in the best case scenario, more successes. Sometimes research is done for decades, but answers remain elusive.

Back before any of this research, my mother felt that our family had "the cancer gene." Now we know that there are many genes and gene mutations. Considering our family history, my cancer is most probably genetic. Either way, cancer is cancer, one big scary sh--.

I hope I live long enough to see a cure, for all of us.

Poet and essayist

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved