The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 125 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#145921 - 05/11/08 02:59 PM Re: Writing group is growing [Re: Louisa]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Hmm...well you could begin with finding out what everyone's expectations are for the group. And then maybe they could define their own goals for their writing, the long term ones. An exercise could be for everyone to brainstorm on outlines for steps to meet the goals.

I would think the first meeting would be more about "meet and greet" and getting to know what everyone expects to gain from the group. Their thoughts could spark the theme or agenda for the next meeting. Just a thought....

#145922 - 05/11/08 08:38 PM Re: Writing group is growing [Re: Louisa]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Louisa what we do in our writing group EVERY week, is as many peoiple read 4 pages of their writing for critique. We are kind but honest and it is imperative that people keep the rule of 'kindness' to who ever is reading. People become very negative when people are cruel and unthinking and drop out of the group. If you want to read, you must supply the group with a cpy of the pages of your work to read along with you and mark if they choose to. These are all handed back to the reader when the critiquing is done. Our members sigh their sheets as well. Some people ask for character information, or story info as per fiction and nonfiction differences, The converasations are endless sometimes. Good luck and just have fun.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#145923 - 05/11/08 09:58 PM Re: Writing group is growing [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I also think you should see what the expectations are first. This will give you an idea of wehre to go next.

Have you Googled starting a writing critique group? HEre's a link to an article that might help:

http://www.mylot.com/nr/viewframe.aspx?i...l&type=Blog

#145924 - 05/12/08 01:46 AM Re: Writing group is growing
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I posted and lost it. Must have forgotten to hit the button. Anyway, thanks for your ideas. I will try that google site, Dotsie. I hadn't thought of that. The group I was in for over three years, did the reading and critiqueing and it was a weekly meeting. But, it was more of a class than a group. It was rather unique. I don't want this one to be a class. (We don't have a teacher anyway) I would like it to help and encourage newer writers and give more experienced ones a chance to share their writing experiences with each other and with the new writers. We can all learn from each other.

#145925 - 05/15/08 11:58 PM Re: Writing group is growing [Re: Louisa]
Louisa Offline

First meeting is Saturday. I am so excited. There will be at least 4 of us at the first meeting. I have two others who are joining next month as they couldn't make it this time. I also have two who might show up. One is the woman who was starting that other group that I almost joined. Hers never got off the ground and she plans to come to mine when she can. The other is my good friend and mentor who ran the class/group I was in and missed so much. She wants to come to my group sometime when she can. Most are experienced writers.

I have a brief agenda, sign-in sheet for email addresses, etc., a list of questions to help determine what the group wants to do for future meetings and a list of writing prompts for those who want it.

Should be fun. I didn't expect this much of a response. There could be walk-ins who just show up too. I do have a poster at the library and it has been in several newspapers.

#145926 - 05/16/08 09:14 AM Re: Writing group is growing [Re: Louisa]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Louisa, how fun to see your dream come to fruition. Keep us posted on how the first meeting goes.

#145927 - 05/16/08 01:57 PM Re: Writing group is growing
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
It sounds like to me that you've covered your bases and are very organized. Way to go, and I'm like Dotsie in that I'll be anxious to hear how it goes. Break a leg!

#145928 - 05/16/08 09:15 PM Re: Writing group is growing [Re: jawjaw]
Louisa Offline

Thanks. I'm up to five now if they all show up. I'll let you know how it goes.

#145929 - 05/17/08 07:37 PM Re: Writing group is growing [Re: Louisa]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Louisa, way to go! Keep us informed of how the meeting went.
www.tidedancer.com

#145930 - 05/17/08 09:35 PM Re: Writing group is growing [Re: Sandpiper]
Louisa Offline

Did I say I expected 4 people besides myself? 11 showed up! 7 that didn't let me know they were coming. I'm better at PR than I knew. The room only holds 8 comfortably around the table. We had to pull chairs in from the library. I was overwhelmed at the size of the group since I had no idea there would be that many people. It's great, but it was scary. One person kept sort of taking over and that was hard and she was loud. She wouldn't let me close the door so I was afraid we would get kicked out any minute. But, it's a diverse group with a lot of talented writers in it and some who know about publishing. I only hope we didn't scare the new writers away. Some want to write memoirs, some do creative fiction and two write horror even. Three have experience writing for newspapers. One is putting historical information together about the Italian families who came to the town after the war. I have to look for another place to hold the summer meetings since the library is closed on Saturdays. The age group is mixed as well. One woman is an artist and writes children's books that she also illustrates. So we are off and running. We made so much noise, we will probably be run out of town. I thought about having the summer meetings here on the patio, but I could have as many as 14 people at the next meeting. Not so sure I want to do that. I figured on only 5-7 people which would have been okay. Some will not continue, I'm sure, but I have a few more who want to join. Word gets around now, there could be more. I have a few other options to look into. I never imagined this much of a response. Picture 12 women in one tiny room. 12 women writers in one tiny room. I'm waiting for feedback from them via email, which I asked for.I hope I don't regret asking.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved