The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 165 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#14520 - 02/27/04 09:39 PM Alzheimers
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
It seems to me that more and more people are being diagnosed with Alzheimers, or early stages of dementia. Is this because people are living longer?

Can you imagine the number of people with Alzeimers when all us baby boomers are older?

Hopefully they'll have a cure by then.

#14521 - 02/28/04 03:02 AM Re: Alzheimers
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Oh I think different kinds of dementia were always there...for instance, they probably called it something like hardening of the arties, or just said "oh he's touched." But, as with science, it has real names now...there are so many dementias, hundreds. Maybe some are new and I wouldn't even venture to guess the causes, but I bet some of them were always around.

You know the old saying..."be nice to your kids, they'll be picking out your nursing home."

#14522 - 02/28/04 05:07 AM Re: Alzheimers
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Here's some thoughts from a friend.

Ain't Old Age Fun

Reporters interviewing a 104 year-old woman: "And what do you think is the best thing about being 104?" the reporter asked. She simply replied, "No peer pressure."
The best thing about being senile is you can hide your own Easter eggs.
I've sure gotten old. I've had 2 By-pass surgeries. A hip replacement, new knees. Fought prostate cancer, and diabetes. I'm half blind, can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine, take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded, and subject to blackouts. Have bouts with dementia. Have poor circulation, hardly feel my hands and feet anymore. Can't remember if I'm 85 or 92. Have lost all my friends. But..... Thank God, I still have my Florida driver's license!
A 97 year old man goes into his doctor's office
and says, "Doc, I want my sex drive lowered."
"Sir", replied the doctor, "You're 97. Don't you
think your sex drive is all in your head?"
"You're damned right it is!" replied the old man.
"That's why I want it lowered!"
God, grant me the senility To forget the people
I never liked anyway, The good fortune To run into the ones I do, And the eyesight to tell the difference.
An elderly woman from Brooklyn decided to prepare her will and make her final requests. She told her rabbi she had two final requests. First, she wanted to be cremated, and second, she wanted her ashes scattered over Bloomingdale's. "Bloomingdale's!" the rabbi exclaimed. "Why Bloomingdale's?"
"Then I'll be sure my daughters visit me twice a week."

#14523 - 03/08/04 07:39 PM Re: Alzheimers
Dotsie Offline
Founder

PArdon my ignorance, but is there a test one takes if they think they are having early stages of Alzheimers?

#14524 - 03/09/04 08:03 AM Re: Alzheimers
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Okay, I 'resemble' that remark!
Just cause I flunked the 'oldtimers' test!! Doesn't mean a thing!!

They say I have 'milk amnesia'--can't remember s---.

Huh? Uh... What was the question again?

smile

#14525 - 03/10/04 03:14 PM Re: Alzheimers
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Dotsie,

There is not a test to see if you have alzheimers but tests can be done to rule it out.

There is testing going on for a DNA gene that would determine if you are pre-disposed to developing it.

My husband's family (Mom's side) each of her siblings died with Alzheimers along with her and now the next generation down has several members who have been "diagnosed".

My brother-in-law has spearheaded research for the family with various medical research groups and the family supposedly is quite rare (I can vouch for that!) and a study is being done on them alone and them with others.

DNA has been collected from the dead via hair from brushes, clthing, whiskers from shavers etc. And the next generation is collecting blood of themselves and their spouses. The spouses are the control group. (Normal ones?)

Anyway, we are a bit slow in getting all of our paperwork in and blood samples but it appears that the work is quite important to the study of Alzheimers and eventually treatment.

Will keep you posted. Admittedly, some of the clinical stuff is way over my head.

Lynn

#14526 - 03/10/04 06:07 PM Re: Alzheimers
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lynn, so your husband's family is helping with research and prevention? That's exciting to be involved on that level. If they are suspect, it's great that they're willing to be helpful. [Big Grin] Please keep us posted.

#14527 - 03/24/04 05:18 AM Re: Alzheimers
swimbo56 Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
I am currently going through the process of diagnosing "alzheimers" with both my parents. I have thought for a long time my mother was starting with alzheimers, but she seemed to be doing well with my dad taking care of her. I began to be worried one day when she called and thought I was her son and she said "they brought me here, but this isn't my home, I see my things, but I don't know where I am, this isn't my house". She couldn't say who "they" were and didn't know where she was, actually standing in her bedroom she was. I have since taken her to the neurologist, he RX Aricept-a medication that slows the progress of alzheimers and hopefully helps a bit with disorientation. He did a cat-scan and an eeg for diagnosis purposes. Since then my Dad has been the one we are all concerned with, at this time mom is 10x better than he. Boy are we in trouble. We, their doc and I, had thought he was having tiny strokes, TIA's. However, he was seen in the ER last monday where they did an MRI(he can't have cat-scan because he has a pacemaker)and discovered he wasn't having strokes and think he has alzheimers instead. Today he went to the neurologist. There he couldn't tell him his name, age, birthdate, today's date or finish his sentences. I had faxed him the paperwork filled out and a medical hx of my dad including the reason for todays visit. The doc called me while my dad was there, wanting clarification. He basically told me there was no reason to do more test because with the MRI results he was 99% sure my dad did indeed have alzheimers and that he needed assisted living help immediately. So, I am now trying to convince my parents that they need to move and then I get to get all the paperwork filled out and actually get them moved. Boy this getting old stinks, and on top of this they are an hr away when there is no traffic, Me in Baltimore, they are in DC. Say a few prayers for us all. Yes, my mom's sister had alzheimers. My Dad's father had "severe dementia" this was 1978, he didn't know anyone for the last 3 years, and spent most of them in bed. My Dad swore he didn't ever want to end up like that. He is one of 8 and an older sister probably had alzheimers and his brother was ill 6 years in and out of it after a stroke while getting a cardiac-cath done. Sad, so very sad. There are things to be said for dying while still healthy. Enough on that subject...

#14528 - 03/24/04 05:34 AM Re: Alzheimers
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Swimbo,
My daddy was diagnosed with Lewy-Body Dementia approximately 5 years ago; however, we now know he had it the year prior to this. The difference between LBD and Alz is that LBD patients hallucinate. They see people that aren't there, and they also see objects that are disfigured, for instance, a car going down the road with two engines on the top of the car...or statues floating in the air, or cars with no doors, people trying to break into their home, or, as you mentioned, their home NOT being there home. Please make sure that ALZ is the right diagnosties for your loved ones. LBD is new and only been around and correctly diagnosed in the last...oh say 10 years.

There are different meds for the different kinds of dementia. If I can help you with information in any way, please email me privately. One more thing, the other difference between LBD and AZ is that LBD patients have a life expectancy of 6-7 years, while AZ is up to 12 years. I will be glad to answer any questions you might have, or give moral support. Been there...still doing it.

Sendings prayers your way. JJ

#14529 - 03/25/04 10:54 AM Re: Alzheimers
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
swimbo, my heart and prayers go out to you.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved