The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#145139 - 03/21/08 02:58 PM Christmas Card Board
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
I hope this will come through since I am generally not successful at posting pictures. My sister, daughter and I made these to hold our Christmas Cards this year. I made this one to hold all the Boomer Cards I received.
If it does not post, perhaps you can click on the link and see it.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/sandpipertwin/1-21-2008-201.jpg

This picture has all the Boomer Cards on it.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/sandpipertwin/1-21-2008-199.jpg
www.tidedancer.com

#145140 - 03/21/08 03:54 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Sandpiper]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
That is darling! Now...how did you do it? I LOVE IT!

#145141 - 03/21/08 05:14 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: jawjaw]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Great idea. I have one sitting right here that I bought to put pictres on but haven't hung it yet. Not that I made it. I also bought one for my office that I display the grandkids pics on. When I get new pictures, it is easy to replace the older ones. Never thought of using one for cards.

#145142 - 03/21/08 06:59 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Louisa]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
How nice. I see mine. I see optimum's and I see Dotsie's.
Memory lane. There's Hannelore's and MSCoach's. and Danita's...and amydoodle's, dancer's...

#145143 - 03/21/08 07:31 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: gims]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
pretty idea...almost too pretty to cover up. Gims, so cute;...I just went down memory lane with you.

#145144 - 03/21/08 08:25 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Edelweiss]
Sandpiper Offline

Hey everyone, it's really easy to do the boards. We used foamcore boards from Joann's Crafts. Then covered them with batting, covered it with fabric, then hot glued the batting and fabric to the board. Then used decorative chair tacks for the positioning of the ribbon. Takes a bit of time but so very pretty.

I'll see if I can post a picture of my sisters and daughters for you. We really like them. I believe we made 4 of them for the holidays. Glad you liked them.

The cards were lovely on them - the best part of it all for me was all my boomer sister cards decorating it.
www.tidedancer.com

#145145 - 03/21/08 08:35 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Sandpiper]
Sandpiper Offline

The first picture is of my daughters board. The fabric is kind of like a 50's pattern of snow and such. Very pretty.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/sandpipertwin/1-21-2008-208.jpg

This picture is my sisters and it's got a black background. Really nice.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/sandpipertwin/1-21-2008-207.jpg

The last one is for my foyer where all the family christmas cards were put. It worked quite well there.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/sandpipertwin/1-21-2008-202.jpg

I hope you like them.
www.tidedancer.com

#145146 - 03/21/08 08:37 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Sandpiper]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I could just live the rest of my life around artsy/craftsy people like yourself...Chatty, Renee, The Divine Ms M and let Cookie cook for me...I know I'm leaving someone out, forgive me. But when I see a new project like this I get excited! Now can you buy all of the supplies at the craft stores?

By the way, these are beautiful!

#145147 - 03/21/08 09:41 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: jawjaw]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
nice job, Sandpiper!

Poet and essayist

#145148 - 03/21/08 09:52 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: meredithbead]
Sandpiper Offline

You can buy all the supplies at any craft store. I got mine at Joann's Crafts. Thanks for the kind words. Actually I fell in love with them and was very pleased with the outcome.
www.tidedancer.com

#145149 - 03/21/08 10:13 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Sandpiper]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I'm cutting and pasting the instructions and I just had a thought. Wouldn't these make great Christmas gifts? Just think, I could make one for the local VA home, Dancer, you could make one for the VA home where you volunteer (next Christmas) and Chatty, the animal shelters where you go, and ...and...listen to me. I'm on a roll. Somebody tell me to put a cork in it...

#145150 - 03/21/08 10:26 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
This is beautiful Sandpiper. I've been trying to figure out a way to display all my Christmas cards but didn't find anything I liked in the stores this past Christmas. Your card board is perfect! We hang our cards on the back door (which is in our living room), so if we hung this vertically, and custom designed it to fit the door's dimensions, it would work perfectly. Thanks for sharing this - and I especially like the timing - I wouldn't have had time to consider making this just before Christmas, but sharing it here now gives us lots of time to buy the materials and put it together at leisure.

(Maya Angelou)

#145151 - 03/21/08 10:35 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Eagle Heart]
Louisa Offline

I love the Christmas one. Just so pretty.

Does anyone remember years ago, making bed dolls? I use to make them in every color and they were so easy. but you can't get the materials anymore. I made them when I was a child. We bought these boxes of white or colored round things called filter disks made by Johnson & Johnson. They came in all colors. You folded them in quarters and it made the base to the dress. You used yarn with it. You had to pull yarn through the points of each one and tie it tight around the dolls waist. Theny you attached another disk to each one with yarn, making a bow. Then you folded eacn one almost like a canoli would go around the cream and fastened it with a bow. You attached each one to the other with another bow made from the yarn. We made little hats for them. They were so pretty. It would be fun to do with granddaughters if the stuff was still around.

#145152 - 03/21/08 11:17 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Louisa]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Louisa, I've never heard of these. I hope you can find a picture of one. I would love to see it.

#145153 - 03/22/08 12:16 AM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: jawjaw]
Louisa Offline

If I find a picture I will send it. I have a picture somewhere, but I don't know where.

#145154 - 03/22/08 02:00 AM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Louisa]
Sandpiper Offline

What I like about them also is that you can make them any size you want to as long as you find the foamcore boards. They are so light weight that it's not a problem hanging them.

You know I didn't think of doing any and giving them to organizations, cool idea JJ. Eagle see you can turn it to the long side and make it work the same way, all you have to do is configure your ribbon to work.

Oh, I must say that after I put the upholstry or chair pins in, I also glued them tight. Just a precaution.

I'm glad everyone likes the idea, we had a great time with them. Matter of fact, they are still hanging in our respective rooms. Need to get them down and put away so I can enjoy them for next Christmas.

Louisa I never heard of those dolls either but they sound pretty and lots of little girls would enjoy making them with their grandma's.
www.tidedancer.com

#145155 - 03/22/08 02:04 AM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Sandpiper]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Sandpiper,
I saw Martha Stewart do that one day on her show , but I like yours better . Hope that name is not a nasty word on here . I love what you did . That board is good for posting notes also in the Kitchen and etc . I love it . It has many uses .

Love it . Renee

#145156 - 03/22/08 02:06 AM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Sadie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Nope, Renee...I admire Martha Stewart and the empire she's built. Hey, I think we should give her the dues she earned. She is one smart cookie...

Sandpiper...mind my asking what kind of hangers you used to hang it? Just curious.

#145157 - 03/22/08 02:10 AM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: jawjaw]
Sadie Offline

I agree JJ. I think Martha Steward has a lot of good ideas and love her craft ideas or at least some of them . I have learned organization from her . Lot of cooking ideas too . Thanks JJ.

Renee

#145158 - 03/22/08 12:47 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Sandpiper]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Sandpiper, I absolutely adore these!! A technical question...do you hot glue the ribbons under the batting (on all sides to secure) or directly to the back of the foam? Also, what did you use to hang them? They're soooo cute and what great gifts they would make. One could even get carried away and make them seasonal!! I was especially excited to see the card I sent you....excited like a little kid! Love it...

#145159 - 03/22/08 01:38 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: ladyjane]
Louisa Offline

I think I'm the only one who remembers making those dolls. I wish the stuff to make them was still around. Guess I'll have to stick to making potholders with Katie. I still have my old metal loom.

I have three of the boards, but not home made. Yours are so pretty, Sandpiper. I think they are called French bulletin boards for some reason. I have one sitting here that I've been meaning to put up on the wall and put pictures on. I have one up already and one at work. I think the hand made ones that can be customized for the person would make great gifts.

#145160 - 03/22/08 03:29 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Louisa]
Sandpiper Offline

I checked the back of the card board and we used a wider ribbon for the hanger. We looped it and hot glued it to the foamcore JJ.

Ladyjane we put the ribons on last. They are wrapped around to the back and hot glued to the fabric. I guess we went in about a couple of inches with fabric on the back. You could glue the ends of the ribon to the foamcore if you'd like but I felt it would hold better on the fabric where there is more grip to it.

We planned out how we wanted the ribbon to go so we'd know how many spaces we'd have to hold our cards, then punched the tacks through at the intersections. Because they didn't stay tight, we pressed firmly and clued them either under the tack in front but mostly on the tip at the back. I hope that's not confusing. You could experiment with different kinds of tacks or such. We found ours at Joann's in the department where they had the curtain rods and such.

You know we thought of making some seasonal but haven't yet. That's a great idea. You could also cut the foamcore boards into shapes and do the same. As long as you have an exacto knife you can cut the board.

I deliberately took a picture with all the cards on it so you all could see how it looked fully dressed so to speak. glad you saw your cards.

Renee I didn't see the Martha Stewart one so I'm glad you like mine. I love her. She's done so much and continues to inspire and show us how to do things. I'm glad she's back on TV where she should be.

I wonder why they are called French bulletin boards, Louisa. I'm glad you like the ones my sister, daughter and I did. So you've been using them. Are they framed or anything? I've seen some that are but not sure if I want one. I've been thinking about it. I agree about customizing them to make personalized gifts.
www.tidedancer.com

#145161 - 03/22/08 05:52 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Sandpiper]
Louisa Offline

No, not framed. Pretty much like yours only not as pretty. I have one hat is on my wall right by the pc. It's only about 8 inches long and but it's about 30" wide. It's off white fabric with gold satin ribbon and large off white tacks covered with fabric. the other one is square, sort of small and pretty purple fabric with purple ribbons. The one at work is covered with photos. What I like is that as I get updated pictures of the grandkids, I just pull out the older ones and easily replace them with newer ones. I never thought of using them for cards. I love that idea.

#196206 - 12/19/09 04:34 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Louisa]
Eagle Heart Offline

Sandpiper, this is a very old post, but I resurrected it to say a big THANK YOU! Even hubby was tired of our old method and when he complained, I told him about your idea. He loved it, and we went out this week, bought the foamboard and he cut it to size. I wrapped it with the old red quilted material that used to be under my family's Christmas tree for as long as I can remember (which makes it very special). Then we went shopping for the ribbon and found a huge roll of what I wanted, and because it had been opened by someone and a piece was missing, they sold this enormous roll to us for $3.00! A good deal!!

So hubby and I worked together on it, and finished it this morning, and it's beautiful. I'll try to post a picture later to show you. We put all of our cards in it, and it's gorgeous! Hubby's delighted, I'm happy that we found a solution to work on together, and I love how it looks in our living room. Thank you again, Sandpiper for sharing this. I remembered this all year, and finally put it into action. Thought you'd like to know!!

(Maya Angelou)

#196209 - 12/19/09 06:32 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

This is the board empty:

This is the board with cards (Chatty, yours is over on the poinsetta table in front of the window):

And this is the new "Christmas Tree Corner" that hubby also built. When we decided to change Christmas, we wanted the Nativity to have more prominence, but the room is so tiny...this was hubby's solution. Perfect...Nativity is front & centre, the tree is still there complete with the favourite ornaments, and the gifts are under the table...tantalizing but not overpowering. We really like it!

Edited by Eagle Heart (12/19/09 06:35 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#196252 - 12/19/09 11:17 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Thats simply beautiful Eagle and I love the board idea for displaying the cards. I see the little mitten above the cards.

My own tree is about the same size and sits on my divider bar between the kitchen nand dining and living room, all together. The cards are also there this year all spead out.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#196378 - 12/22/09 08:52 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: chatty lady]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Good idea! Since I'm selling (trying) my home and de-cluttering, I've a similar (yet smaller) message board from Pottery Barn in which I'm displaying my cards.

#196422 - 12/23/09 01:41 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: ]
Dee Offline

Wow...what a remarkable idea these are...I see them but never knew how they are made. I'm going to try my hand at this and they would make great gifts...thanks for bringing this up and showing us all the cards and different fabric. I love the black background with holly...I recognize that fabric.

Merry Christmas!

#196756 - 12/30/09 01:44 AM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Dee]
Sandpiper Offline

Eagle Heart I'm so honored that you liked the idea so much you remembered it all year. It is such a fun project and totally fits the cards. Yours is beautiful. I never thought of turning it longwise but it works! I'm tickled that you and hubby worked on it together.

I love the Christmas corner. Never would have thought of that. You and hubby are very creative in the use of your space. Girl my hat is off to the both of you.

I'm hoping to post a picture of this years board. I love putting the BWS cards on it. Everyone who picks up the mail this year would say, "Here you go Mom, another boomer card." They all know how much I love you all. Best part of Christmas.
www.tidedancer.com

#196947 - 01/02/10 03:21 AM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Sandpiper]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I used a small tree to show off my Christmas cards this year. It looks so nice wuth all the cards crowded around the trees branches.

#201927 - 04/06/10 02:20 AM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: chatty lady]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
What! No one has had any time for any arts and crafts discussions for three months? Yikes, we must all be working too hard!

Does anybody do wreaths for their doors/walls for other seasons besides Christmas? I am looking for ideas for a front door wreath for Spring that will be large enough to see from the street -- and which won't get eaten by the birds.

Sadly, I've noted that birds have been using the ingredients of my current wreath for nesting materials...

What kind of craft suggestions does anyone have for a spring or summer wreath?

Thanks!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#201949 - 04/06/10 07:59 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Anne Holmes]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Speaking of wreaths, does anyone remember the old computer cards we used to have at work? Ever make a wreath out of one bunch of those? They had holes in them…remember? Anyway, we would make wreaths out of them by stapling them together in circles..then put a big bow in the center or some other kind of ornament. Then spray paint the whole thing. It was fun! Talk about using nothing to make something.

So Anne, what about looking around your home at something you collect and love….like possible making a grapevine wreath (easy enough), then putting a dog figurine in the center on a bow of some kind???

Maybe you have a pet you prefer…like for me, it would be boxers. You could hot glue bones around the wreath. If dogs aren’t you thing, maybe there is some other collectible in your home you would like to display on the door? Just a thought.

#201954 - 04/06/10 09:18 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: jawjaw]
Mountain Ash Offline

I make hydranga wreaths in late summer..using a base same as a Christmas wreath..Hang it in a porch or my summerhouse..as the colours fade it becomes a dried arrangment that can be sprayed for Christmas adding bows or sparkles ..whatever is at hand
many people here make Easter wreaths,,,greenery and spring flowers/.chicken from cake decorations..little eggs or the whole Easter bonnet type wreath..
and of course a "corn dolly" is made from the last sheeve of grain at harvest time ..its a work of art made expertly to ensure grain for next year (symbolicly) this may even be a Pagan custom I am told..

#201962 - 04/06/10 10:32 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Mountain Ash]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Love the Grapevine Wreath with the dog and bow idea JJ..very clever...can't picture the computer card wreath though...I have lived a sheltered life I guess (wink) smile

Mountain Ash, Hydrangeas are my favorite flower...do you grow them in your garden? if so..what colors do you have?

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#201994 - 04/07/10 04:17 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: AvalonBlondi]
Mountain Ash Offline

Dark pink I have three along a wall..they fade to a maroon when dried properly.
A climbing creamy yellow on a trellis..and a blue in a pot to keep it blue it is seperated from her sisters..in ericaous compost.
also cuttings from the dark pink amongst lillies..
I have gifted them often too..

do you garden Nancy?

#202020 - 04/08/10 12:27 AM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Mountain Ash]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
oooooooo..they all sound lovely...I especially love the Blue ones..but they are so difficult to keep that perfect shade of blue...they need alot of lime in the soil I think...yes? When do your hydrangeas bloom the fullest? Your garden sounds gorgeous...I'd love to see it.

I do love to garden Eunice...but our property has very little shade and so I have not had much luck growing hydrangea's..it's unseasonably warm here this past week and so many of my perennials are peeping out of the soil..my children always give me a gift certificate to a local nursery for Mother's Day so I can fill my pots and barrels with pretty annuals that last all summer and into the fall...all of that glorious color makes me so happy...

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#202061 - 04/08/10 04:58 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: AvalonBlondi]
Mountain Ash Offline

Pots are good...and can be refilled even for winter..I have several all cobalt blue..bought over the years .juts put pansies in two..but the others have sturdy shrubs...bay...crooked willow and rosemary /lavendar..
shade can be ok if you get the right plant..perriwinkle and thyme so so many..

#202067 - 04/08/10 05:33 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Just reading this post is getting me so excited for my garden. Lenten roses, Korean spice bush, blossoming cherry trees, tulips, and a couple others whose names I've forgotten are already in bloom. Don't youjust love this time of year with all the rebirth? It renews my spirit with regards to people starting all over again.

#202084 - 04/08/10 07:57 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Dotsie]
Sadie Offline

Hello All,
Haven't been on for a long time . Use to be Renee now Sadie . Okay I do wreaths and floral designs and now have taken a class in Corages making with silk flowers and real one and just love it . It is so easy to make a corage and wreaths . Very relaxing to make . Next week my class is in Wrist corsages . Can't wait . Have to take some pictures and post .

Well all is good have a lovely day

Now Sadie Of Maryland

#202098 - 04/09/10 08:59 AM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Sadie]
Mountain Ash Offline

Sadie
does going to a class keep your hobby at a high threshold?
I just do any wreaths etc on the spur of the moment..not disciplined at all.then I do a few..gift them to whoever pops by.

#202120 - 04/10/10 12:20 AM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Mountain Ash]
Sadie Offline

Mountain Ask,
Yes ,
it does keep my hobby at a high Threshold . It gives me my insight in learning abilitys and such . I didn't know how to do corasges and wanted to learn all I could and want to take a course in wreath making to prefect my skills much more . I do them with a foam green wreath and then glue the flowers in the foam . I go into Michael and check out with is being hung on the wall and copy it . I love the grape vine wreaths too . Making the corsages with real flowers was so easy as to silk I love them both .

Next I want to go on to cake decorating at Michaels . I want to learn all I can about anyting and love crafts . I find it very relaxing and therapedic .

Thanks for asking ,

Sadie

#202122 - 04/10/10 08:26 AM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Sadie]
Mountain Ash Offline

The vine stalks from clematis wound round a bowl or pail can make a base..and would be... free..must remember this when we prune our clematis.
sounds like you are just where you are meant to be..

#202130 - 04/10/10 10:53 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Mountain Ash]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

If you started now you could make your Christmas card board early, taking your time and maybe being able to make it more fancy; then when we have our yearly card exchange, it will be ready and waiting for all the beautiful cards you'll receive...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved