The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 185 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#145159 - 03/22/08 01:38 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: ladyjane]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I think I'm the only one who remembers making those dolls. I wish the stuff to make them was still around. Guess I'll have to stick to making potholders with Katie. I still have my old metal loom.

I have three of the boards, but not home made. Yours are so pretty, Sandpiper. I think they are called French bulletin boards for some reason. I have one sitting here that I've been meaning to put up on the wall and put pictures on. I have one up already and one at work. I think the hand made ones that can be customized for the person would make great gifts.

#145160 - 03/22/08 03:29 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Louisa]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
I checked the back of the card board and we used a wider ribbon for the hanger. We looped it and hot glued it to the foamcore JJ.

Ladyjane we put the ribons on last. They are wrapped around to the back and hot glued to the fabric. I guess we went in about a couple of inches with fabric on the back. You could glue the ends of the ribon to the foamcore if you'd like but I felt it would hold better on the fabric where there is more grip to it.

We planned out how we wanted the ribbon to go so we'd know how many spaces we'd have to hold our cards, then punched the tacks through at the intersections. Because they didn't stay tight, we pressed firmly and clued them either under the tack in front but mostly on the tip at the back. I hope that's not confusing. You could experiment with different kinds of tacks or such. We found ours at Joann's in the department where they had the curtain rods and such.

You know we thought of making some seasonal but haven't yet. That's a great idea. You could also cut the foamcore boards into shapes and do the same. As long as you have an exacto knife you can cut the board.

I deliberately took a picture with all the cards on it so you all could see how it looked fully dressed so to speak. glad you saw your cards.

Renee I didn't see the Martha Stewart one so I'm glad you like mine. I love her. She's done so much and continues to inspire and show us how to do things. I'm glad she's back on TV where she should be.

I wonder why they are called French bulletin boards, Louisa. I'm glad you like the ones my sister, daughter and I did. So you've been using them. Are they framed or anything? I've seen some that are but not sure if I want one. I've been thinking about it. I agree about customizing them to make personalized gifts.
www.tidedancer.com

#145161 - 03/22/08 05:52 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Sandpiper]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
No, not framed. Pretty much like yours only not as pretty. I have one hat is on my wall right by the pc. It's only about 8 inches long and but it's about 30" wide. It's off white fabric with gold satin ribbon and large off white tacks covered with fabric. the other one is square, sort of small and pretty purple fabric with purple ribbons. The one at work is covered with photos. What I like is that as I get updated pictures of the grandkids, I just pull out the older ones and easily replace them with newer ones. I never thought of using them for cards. I love that idea.

#196206 - 12/19/09 04:34 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Louisa]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Sandpiper, this is a very old post, but I resurrected it to say a big THANK YOU! Even hubby was tired of our old method and when he complained, I told him about your idea. He loved it, and we went out this week, bought the foamboard and he cut it to size. I wrapped it with the old red quilted material that used to be under my family's Christmas tree for as long as I can remember (which makes it very special). Then we went shopping for the ribbon and found a huge roll of what I wanted, and because it had been opened by someone and a piece was missing, they sold this enormous roll to us for $3.00! A good deal!!

So hubby and I worked together on it, and finished it this morning, and it's beautiful. I'll try to post a picture later to show you. We put all of our cards in it, and it's gorgeous! Hubby's delighted, I'm happy that we found a solution to work on together, and I love how it looks in our living room. Thank you again, Sandpiper for sharing this. I remembered this all year, and finally put it into action. Thought you'd like to know!!

(Maya Angelou)

#196209 - 12/19/09 06:32 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
This is the board empty:

This is the board with cards (Chatty, yours is over on the poinsetta table in front of the window):

And this is the new "Christmas Tree Corner" that hubby also built. When we decided to change Christmas, we wanted the Nativity to have more prominence, but the room is so tiny...this was hubby's solution. Perfect...Nativity is front & centre, the tree is still there complete with the favourite ornaments, and the gifts are under the table...tantalizing but not overpowering. We really like it!

Edited by Eagle Heart (12/19/09 06:35 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#196252 - 12/19/09 11:17 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Thats simply beautiful Eagle and I love the board idea for displaying the cards. I see the little mitten above the cards.

My own tree is about the same size and sits on my divider bar between the kitchen nand dining and living room, all together. The cards are also there this year all spead out.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#196378 - 12/22/09 08:52 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: chatty lady]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Good idea! Since I'm selling (trying) my home and de-cluttering, I've a similar (yet smaller) message board from Pottery Barn in which I'm displaying my cards.

#196422 - 12/23/09 01:41 PM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: ]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Wow...what a remarkable idea these are...I see them but never knew how they are made. I'm going to try my hand at this and they would make great gifts...thanks for bringing this up and showing us all the cards and different fabric. I love the black background with holly...I recognize that fabric.

Merry Christmas!

#196756 - 12/30/09 01:44 AM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Dee]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Eagle Heart I'm so honored that you liked the idea so much you remembered it all year. It is such a fun project and totally fits the cards. Yours is beautiful. I never thought of turning it longwise but it works! I'm tickled that you and hubby worked on it together.

I love the Christmas corner. Never would have thought of that. You and hubby are very creative in the use of your space. Girl my hat is off to the both of you.

I'm hoping to post a picture of this years board. I love putting the BWS cards on it. Everyone who picks up the mail this year would say, "Here you go Mom, another boomer card." They all know how much I love you all. Best part of Christmas.
www.tidedancer.com

#196947 - 01/02/10 03:21 AM Re: Christmas Card Board [Re: Sandpiper]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I used a small tree to show off my Christmas cards this year. It looks so nice wuth all the cards crowded around the trees branches.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved