The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 114 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#144919 - 03/19/08 03:01 PM My Daughter Sofia
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Hi ladies,

My daughter Sofia needs your prayers. I have been gone for a month and didn't have internet access. I had to go to Blacksburg, VA to help my daughter out.

In a nutshell, the father of her baby, Zoey, and his mother had Zoey taken away from Sofia. They pulled a scam and coerced Sofia to be taken in a psych hospital. Encouraged Sofia not to tell me about it under the guise of "you wouldn't want your mom to worry". Therefore, isolating Sofia from her family even further. While she was in the hospital, this woman called child protective services and told them Sofia was neglecting her baby. And while she was in the hospital, they retained a lawyer in order to get full custody of Zoey.

We were very worried and felt that something wasn't right. When Zoey's other grandmother turned on Sofia after she was discharged from the hospital, Sofia called the step-grandmother and me. She was very frantic, and the step-grandmother called me and told me what was happening and told me I needed to get there right away and get Sofia a lawyer.

It's been a nightmare and thank God we were able to retain a very, very good lawyer. This other grandmother is not happy at all about this and I don't care. Because we were able to retain a lawyer and find out about the court date, Sofia was able to show up with representation. So now, Zoey's dad has to follow some guidelines as well as Sofia before the final hearing on May 27th. Oh yea, they only gave the court the address of the hospital Sofia was staying at, therefore, she never received a summons. Thank God for the step-grandmother who told us the court date. This woman, the boy's mother, is very devious, and was hoping Sofia wouldn't show up in court, and her son would've had full custody of Zoey and they would be on easy street.

Anyway, Sofia is at home with us because her resources are best here with us. She has to go to counceling for a couple of weeks and then the councelor will determine if Zoey is safe with us. The good news is this, the therapist and Dr know us and Sofia. They have assured us they didn't think Zoey would be in any harm around Sofia and us. In all honesty, I watch Sofia with Zoey during her supervised visits. She is really good with Zoey and I don't say that because I'm her mom. I am really proud of Sofia and those maternal instincts.

Anyway, I am continueing my FMLA for another 2 weeks while I try to help Sofia get her counceling, go to parenting classes, get a job, etc... These are court ordered and hopefully in a couple of weeks we can go and bring Zoey with us here in Chesapeake.

Please pray that our Father will lead, guide and direct us during this time.

I was very suspicious of this woman since August, but I couldn't say anything because I didn't want her to have her guard up. In the meantime, I made notes and now the lawyer has them. I couldn't say anything to Sofia because she wouldn't have believed me and she would've told this woman.

The good news is this, Sofia has come to her own realization that she messed up and wants real help. With that, her dad and I are more than happy to provide the help and guidance.

I have to say, we are fortunate to have found this lawyer. She is a boomer woman, and her passion is helping women who are victims of domestic violence. Mental abuse is a part of this and she knew immediately that Sofia was a victim of mental abuse. In the pre-trial, this lawyer even brought an advocate from the Women's Resource Center to come with Sofia to court for morale support.

I know this is a long read and I talked to Dotsie earlier and explained what was happening.

Thanks ladies and know that I love you all alot!

Love,
Cathi

#144920 - 03/19/08 06:12 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Cathi, thanks for the update. I think it's important for all of us to hold Sophia and everyone involved in prayer.

I'm glad you were able to run to help her and stay with her until most everything was taken care of. You are wise to get her the help she needs.

I'm so grateul she now sees them as the enemy and not you and your hubby. I believe something good will come from all of this. Sometimes, not always, but sometimes when young gals have babies, they recognize it's growing up time and will turn their lives around for the sake of the baby.

Stay close to Sophia now and let's pray the father doesn't coerce her in to going back. Is the hope that she'll get custody on May 27th?

How's your dad?

#144921 - 03/20/08 12:29 AM Re: My Daughter Sofia
Wisdom&Life Offline

I so appreciate the prayers, thank you very much! It is my Faith that has sustained me through this whole ordeal. I certainly don't have this kind of strength.

This whole situation reminds me of the Prodigal Son in the Bible. She had to come to her own conclusion and want the help herself. This is when her dad and I stepped in. This is different than bailing someone out and then they continue on their destructive path. I agree, this may have been what Sofia needed to have happened in order to grow up. Zoey is the bonus here and a pure joy. I feel so bad for her and what she has gone through as well. When we had her at Sofia's, on her supervised visit, we played classical soothing music and we just took our time with her and soothed her as much as possible. They smoke like chimneys in the house she is living in and it's very dangerous around an infant that young.

I worry about the dad coercing Sofia back as well and I warned her that he may do that. She understands this and this is another reason why I can't go back to work yet. She's too vulnerable to leave by herself. We did go job hunting today and I hope she finds a job soon. She is really focused in getting her daughter back and over here with us. We are helping Sofia for the full custody, however, VA is really strange about custody laws. The judge usually rules in favor of Joint Custody until the child goes to school. We will have to live with it if this is what the judge decides. It will still be better than what we have now, but I believe we should try to fight for full custody. I know the dad's mother wants full custody so Sofia would have to pay child support. When she turned on Sofia, that was the first thing that came out of her mouth, plus the threat of going to jail if she didn't pay. That's emotional abuse in my book. The dad is not ready to raise an infant by himself, and it's his mother behind this whole mess.

My dad is doing Okay and he is anxious to see his great-granddaughter. It's a shame too, here we don't know how much longer he'll be with us. He served this country for 30 years and it's up to a 19 year old thug whether my dad is able to see Zoey or not. I really pray this isn't the case too much longer and I hope what these people did will come back to bite them really hard.

Thanks Dotsie!

Love and Blessings,
Cathi

#144922 - 03/20/08 12:40 AM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Cathi,
I won't take away from your post by my own thoughts and feelings, but I will tell you this much---I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread to see how Sofia fares and the outcome of the judges decision. Please know that I am near and if you need to chat, you have my email. You and your hubby are doing all you can for now. The support and love you've showered Sofia during all of this will come back to you in some form...hopefully, in a baby's arms!

I'm praying for all concerned. Love to you and yours, JJ

#144923 - 03/20/08 01:52 AM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: jawjaw]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cathi, I spoke w/ someone today with a similar situation. Seems those in both cases (including your daughter) that these individuals have ulterior motives in their best interest, not of the child. I'm amazed at how blind our courts can be. My prayers are with you, Sofia, Zoey, and those who can help, too.

#144924 - 03/20/08 02:27 AM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: ]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Cathi, I will keep all of you in my prayers.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#144925 - 03/20/08 07:48 AM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: yonuh]
Happy Birthday Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Goodness, you have been through alot. What a loving Mom and family you are. Sofia is blessed to have you and will surly blossom with the love.
Praying that all goes well.
Hannelore

#144926 - 03/20/08 12:16 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Edelweiss]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Quote:

Seems those in both cases (including your daughter) that these individuals have ulterior motives in their best interest, not of the child. I'm amazed at how blind our courts can be.

It is disgusting really! The facade I have to witness, it's a good thing I was on to her since August and I made notes and saved text messages and emails. I showed them all to the lawyer and she recognized the scam before reviewing any of the notes.

Unfortunately, Sofia had this loyalty to this woman and I couldn't say anything to her. Even though her dad and I cautioned her in November and begged her to come back home to us. Just for that reason. But we couldn't let this woman know because she would've kept her guard up and I wouldn't have been able to extract more info and evidence. In other words, I was acting covertly with her. I am not saying much to her now, not yet. I will not do so until the judge pounds on that gravel with the final decision.

You ladies do not know how much your responses have meant to me. As well as the private messages I've been receiving. It means so much to me, I have tears of relief and joy!

I will say this, things are much better than they were 4 weeks ago. The progress is being made with baby steps. I just can't wait for the day I post here and tell you all that Zoey is home with us.

BTW, there is so much more, but I don't want to reveal too many details because this is a public forum. If anyone wants to know more, you are more than welcome to PM me. In fact, if you have any kind of a legal background, experience with this situation or mental health background. Perhaps you could give me more insight that might help.

Thanks so much.

I love you all alot!

Cheers,
Cathi

#144927 - 03/20/08 06:46 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

You were wise to keep your thoughts to yourself.

I'm grateful Sophia is under your roof and not theirs. How is she doing without being able to see her baby? I'm sure you're a tremendous help. Glad you extended you leave to be with her. The things we do for our children!

#144928 - 03/20/08 07:19 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia
Wisdom&Life Offline

Oh yes, I am glad to do it if this is what it takes to get her on the right path.

She misses Zoey, but she understands what she must do. I have repeated to her enough times that sitting around and playing victim isn't going to get her her daughter back.

Even so, and this is not the same but it helps, we are borrowing our neighbor's pomeranean(SP). Sofia loves animals and this is kind of a pet therapy for her. Plus, it gives her something to do and feel like she is nurturing at the same time. Like I said, it doesn't replace Zoey, but it helps.

As for us helping her, it's not a big deal honestly. We have always believed in doing that as long as the one being helped is making efforts. Plus, I don't think any of us here have gone through this life and hasn't made a mistake at least once. We all do, I certainly have. The real tragedy would be not learning from the mistake no matter how small or large.

I really feel bad for her, and really, if 18 wasn't the legal age, she wouldn't be in this situation. We would've been able to stop it before it even came close to starting. But, I have pointed out to her that she is fortunate to learn this early on in life. Some of us do not learn this type of lesson until our 30's or 40's.

I have thought about this for months now, but I would love to see some laws "amended". It would be nice if the law could be amended to where an 18 year old has to have at least a GED before they are considered an adult. Or until they turn 21. Then it wouldn't penalize the 18 years old who are mature enough to be considered adults. I don't know, but even a psychiatrist has explained to us that the brain doesn't develop to full maturity until you reach 25. 18 is not even close to maturity as far as the development of the brain is concerned. Just my thoughts. I really don't want to see another family go through this at all.

As far as under their roof. Here's the scenario. Sofia went out and got an apartment for her and Zoey through HUD. The dad never came one time to visit, he didn't contribute one iota. She tried to take care of a newborn herself and I really wanted to run there and stay with her. But I couldn't, I was playing tough love and it really broke my heart to do it. She actually did pretty good considering her situation. I have been told by others in that town who have come to know her. They said the allegations were nothing but a crock. Which is why the coercion to go to the hospital had to come into play. If Child Protective Services had been called while she was not in the hospital and at home. They wouldn't have found any evidence of neglect. BTW, our lawyer is investigating this. It bothered me and our lawyer as well, that CPS took this woman's word for the allegations and never saw for themselves. *Anyway the hospital stay can be explained in a PM if anyone needs to see the big picture here. There is more to this than I am willing to tell publicly. But it's being investigated and hopefully the tables will turn where they are suppose to be and justice will be served.

Thanks again ladies!

Love,
Cathi

#144929 - 03/20/08 07:30 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
id second that wise to keep thoughts to yourself and what a blessing you were on to her for so lonbg giving time to save information, thats a hugh blessing as courts are normalie onlie intrested in what they or what can be proved. In child court thats about all i can say on matter is its all about what can be proven. If your doughters made some unwise desisions then be prepared for that to come tumbling out in court, normalie it will all in name of discreditting the other parent, just be prepared and if she has done wrong maybee humilitie the way to go and not that sometimes kneew yerk of deniying whats gone on. As she as you say she, genuinlie learned from her mistakes.

i don't know about usa but their are certine mental health acts that protect the individuel fronm reciving (in an ideal world) unfaire descriminasion due to their mental illness itself. I know your brife probablie aware of this if it the same in usa as it seems to be heer. i Onlie know that bit second hand.

lola's a good bit of legal sencces, don't know if she read this but i sure she would if ya pm her. I know she with familie so bisie nd might have missed this post.

this the bleathering over for me good luck and good vless you and your familie in thse time. i be thinking of you all and whishing the best for you in thse times.

#144930 - 03/20/08 10:59 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Cathi, this is a difficult situation for all involved, and I think you are doing the best possible course of action. My prayers go out to you, Sophia and Zoey.

Poet and essayist

#144931 - 03/23/08 01:03 AM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I'm so glad you and daughter have expertise of the lawyer and advocate. it is so helpful to have such expertise, particularily for a complicated siuation.

May one day Sofia be healed in her heart, mind and be with her little daughter safely.

#144932 - 03/23/08 12:21 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Cathi, I hope you all are having a nice Easter back together as a family. Hoping Sophia and Zoey can celebrate the next holiday together.

Is there any contact at this point between her and the father?

#144933 - 03/24/08 12:27 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia
Wisdom&Life Offline

Thanks Orchid, right now she is depressed but we dare not say that for fear that she will be deemed unstable. That's how careful we have to be. It's hard for me to watch her and tell her she has to hang in there. Yesterday, the boy's mom sent pictures to her cell phone of the baby and she wrote, "Zoey says, Happy Easter Mommy!" This actually depressed her more because she hasn't seen her daughter in a week now and she said Zoey is growing up and she is missing it. I tried to tell her that one day we will be the ones sending them pictures. BTW, this woman's intentions were anything but nice. She did this to cover her a** and she knew it would get to Sofia. Plus, Sofia felt that the dad should be the one sending her the pictures.

Thanks Dotsie, we are hoping to be together this Easter with Zoey. This is the advantage of being Greek Orthodox, our Easter isn't until the end of April. Unfortunately, I have had to push Sofia to contact the father. The Guardian ad Litem had pointed out in a letter that the parents need to communicate with each other in regards of the child. He said the Grandparents need to stay out of it. Sofia is emotionally upset. She doesn't comprehend that the she needs to make the calls and ask how Zoey is doing. I told her when we have Zoey, then he is the one who will need to call. I told her it is imperative that she calls because I am sure the Grandmother is making notes. She wouldn't hesitate to tell her lawyer that Sofia hasn't checked up on Zoey. So she does brave it and calls him.

I sometimes feel like a drill sergeant and I hate it, but I am hoping one day she will look back and see that I was trying to help her and stay on top of things for her at this point. I've been in her emotional state before and it is difficult to focus. She has so much to do in so little time. She is trying to get her learners permit and the test is very difficult. I told her we will go to the DMV every day until she passes. She is trying to find a job too, any job at this point. Thursday, she starts a parenting class. This week she has 3 appointments with a Dr. and a therapist. These are the guidelines she has to follow in order to prove her stability. The good news is that now we got her representation and argued in court about it. The good news is that the father has to follow these guidelines as well. Even though she is struggling with the learner's permit test, she still is likely to get a license before he does because he lost his to reckless driving. Now he has to get a job too and take parenting classes and be on medication as well. So by us getting involved, they are not on the easy street as they had planned to be.

My job in all this right now is to make sure she does all these steps right now. I really believe she will start to feel better once she gets a part time job. Not something complicated or anything like that. She's applied at a tanning salon, which she loves and as a hostess in a restaurant. She has been a hostess before and she loved it. The complex stuff she can try to do when all this is over and done with. In fact, one of the best resources she can take advantage of is our local Vocational Rehab.

Thanks ladies and I hope you all had a Happy Easter!

Love and Cheers,
Cathi

#144934 - 03/24/08 02:18 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

You are so inspiring Cathi...when all is said and done and you have Zoey safely in the her Mommy's arms, you need to write Sofie's Story-- A Mom's Perspective ....

I will continue with my prayers for all concerned. Whenever you can and have the time, we so appreciate the updates. I'm sending warm thoughts and love your way.

#144935 - 03/24/08 06:38 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I wonder just how many people are wrongfully placed in mental institutions because someone lied about them. I pray everyday that the Lord would bring justice, as bright as the noonday sun, in a similar situation. [Yikes, the whole house is full of smoke. I forgot potatoes were cooking on the stove. I ruined a pan!] Back to the main subject: I hope the evildoers that pull this sort of garbage get caught up in their own web of deceit. May the tables truly be turned. And may justice truly be done in the above case and in my own circumstance.

Edited by jabber (03/24/08 06:40 PM)

#144936 - 03/24/08 06:54 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: jabber]
Happy Birthday Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
And the potatoes?

Cathi thinking alot of you. Stay strong. What am I saying? You are strong and doing everything just right.
Hannelore

#144937 - 03/24/08 07:00 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Cathi: I will definitely be praying for your family and this situation. So glad you were able to get some help for your daughter. Please know that I will have my prayer group at church praying for this situation. God has never lost a battle. God bless you and yours!!
NABBW & NAWW

#144938 - 03/25/08 01:12 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Songbird]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Cathi,
Blessings and prayers.

Songbird,
I like that phrase, God has never lost a battle.

Hannelore,
I salvaged the potatoes and fried them. The pan washed up without a problem, too. Got lucky, I guess. I have to be more careful. I get on this computer and thoughts focus in some sort of tunnel vision!

#144939 - 03/25/08 03:57 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: jabber]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Good idea your Majesty, I like the title. People have to be aware of this for sure and if this could help others, it would be worth the work. Mental Health is a big issue right now with the Virginia Legislation and there has to be something I can do for this issue. It has been an issue for me for a long time because unfortunately, Mental Abuse is a very difficult thing to prove. But at the same time, there has to be justice for those who have been victims of this abuse as well. I worry about the scars this is going to leave Sofia. Sure she brought this on herself, but she doesn’t have to pay for this the rest of her life either. We all make mistakes and you are aware of what she put us through. But like the father of the Prodigal Son in The Bible, I am ready to through a feast with the fatted calf. This happened when the Prodigal Son came to his own realization. Sofia is at that point too! Again, good idea about the book.

Jabber, I think the issue of people being wrongfully placed in Mental Institutions is something that has been going on for centuries. I have to believe our Heavenly Father will turn the tables on the evil doers. It already has because they never expected us to get involved. Things have not gone their way at all. But there is still a battle going on and like David, we have to trust that God is bigger than they are. God is bigger than these giants we face. I hope all will turn in your circumstances as well. Besides, I think there are good recipes out there for burnt potatoes.

Hannelore, it is always good to see you respond. I feel a kindred spirit here and perhaps soon I can post photographs with myself and Zoey having a day with Yiayia (Greek for grandma). She is a good baby, and when we do have visitation with her, we try to focus all our attention to her by soothing her and just singing to her and loving her up. We also play classical and soothing music and of course, no smoke. Thank you friend for coming here and giving me all this morale support.

Songbird, this means so much for me. I know the power of prayer is the best all around. God has stated that “all things are possible for those who love God.” He didn’t say some things were, but all! I know that helping my daughter raise an infant is going to produce many challenges, but these challenges are going to met with pure Joy because Zoey is a Joy and we all have a destinity and I have a feeling hers is going to be a rather special one.

May God Bless all of you! I know He has blessed me for being with a wonderful, intelligence, beautiful and diverse group of women.

A little update here: The therapist and the Dr. Sofia has been seeing are going to write a letter to Sofia’s lawyer and to Zoey’s Guardian ad Litem. First of all, they will state that Sofia is not a danger to herself, to anyone, and most important, Sofia is not a danger to Zoey. However; they want to see her interact with Zoey. This means we would have to bring Zoey back with us. We are hoping the letter is completed by tomorrow because they want Sofia to review it first during her appointment tomorrow. Then they will fax the letter to each lawyer. Hopefully, they will come to some agreement before we have to go to Blacksburg for the weekend. This weekend, is the weekend we have visitation with Zoey, but it can only be in Blacksburg until a therapist and Dr. has deemed Sofia safe with Zoey. Well, we followed through on that stipulation, let’s see if they will follow through on their part. Please pray we are able to bring Zoey back with us after this weekend.

I will let you all know. During the weekend, I will not have access to the internet, but will let you all know as soon as possible.

Another prayer request, please pray that our Father will give Sofia the strength to hang in there while this is going on.

Thanks so much ladies!

I love you all a lot!

Blessings to all of you!

Cathi

#144940 - 03/26/08 12:44 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Songbird Offline

Dear Cathi: You are a blessing to your family and God will bless you abundantly. I pray he gives you the desires of your heart regarding Sofia and Zoey. Regarding Sofia, remember God won't let us withstand more than we can handle, and he promises we can do all things through Him (Phil. 4:13).

Id like to share a Bible verse: Isaiah 49:25-
"But thus says the LORD:
“ Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away,
And the prey of the terrible be delivered;
For I will contend with him who contends with you,
And I will save your children."
(New King James Version)

Continue trusting in the Lord for deliverance, strength and guidance...

Edited by Songbird (03/26/08 12:47 PM)

#144941 - 03/26/08 01:22 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Songbird]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Thank you Songbird, this is what I needed to see this morning. I am down right now, and I just prayed before I went to bed. Lord it's totally in your Hands, and Your Will be done. Help us to withstand whatever the outcome may be. Then I wake up and see your message. Isaiah is my favorite book in the Bible.

God has used you as a vehicle to restore some hope for us.

I have such anxieties right now because our lawyer hasn't returned any of my calls nor have I received an email from her. I have to keep reminding myself that she's busy and has other clients to take care of. But timing is everything, and I am hoping to have some issues resolved by Friday.

I don't know if I said the right thing to Sofia the other day. But I had told her to remember that God will not allow anything to happen to us that we are not able to handle. She said, "Mom, I thought God wouldn't let anything happen to us that we can't handle. I can't handle this." I told her, "Evidently God thinks you can or He wouldn't allow it." I hope my response was correct. I don't want to make any promises to her that cannot be kept. She really needs to trust me, and more importantly, I don't want her to lose her Faith.

Thanks for this post Songbird. I'll keep everyone posted.

Love and Blessings,
Cathi

#144942 - 04/08/08 02:37 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Hi Ladies,

I wanted to give an update and I actually saved the last two responses in my email. So I will answer those comments first. I copied and pasted the quotes.

Quote:

Mustang Gal

Cathi, I'm praying for ya'll. Glad doc and therapist are in your favor. Will the guardian ad litem prepare a report and/or recommendation? I wonder (and I apologize if I offend) if the father's mother wants custody in an effort to make up for her inability as a parent? I ask b/c I've seen this occur - a kind of second chance, which most often leads to control issues.

Quote:

Dotsie

Mustang, I also feel like the mother is a control freak, trying to get her way come hell or high water. Sorry, but that's how she comes across. What a shame. It's not about her. It's about what's best for the baby.

As I post, I lift up prayers for all the goigns on in Blacksburg this weekend

Unfortunately, the Guardian ad Litem and their lawyer and our lawyer didn’t come to an agreement on time. So we went to Blacksburg the weekend of Mar 28-30 and had Zoey with us only for that weekend. She had grown so much and Sofia was pretty depressed because she is missing out on so much. We are back in Chesapeake until this Friday Apr 11. We will be able to take Zoey back with us as a result of the letter her Dr. and therapist wrote. They expressed in that letter that Sofia does not have mental problem, but is depressed because of what happened to her. In other words, documenting the fact that those people manipulated her. In that letter they also expressed the need for her to bond with Zoey and they want to evaluate Zoey as well. They are also certified in child psychiatry/psychology, including infants. The guardian will only allow a week and not two weeks.

As for the mother being a control freak. Mustang, you did not offend at all, in fact, I am so glad you all see this. I found out this past week that even the guardian sees this. I had already noticed that since August. All of a sudden, the dad, his mom, and sister turned on Sofia after it was discovered she was pregnant. Just by some of the actions and conversations, I could tell what this woman’s intentions were. But I couldn’t say anything because I didn’t want them to know I was on to them. If they had any clue that I was on to them, they would’ve gone out of their way to hide their actions and I had to act covertly. I couldn’t tell Sofia because she still had the hope this boy would come around and she kept getting angry at me and running to them when she would get angry at us.

Finally, when Sofia came home for Thanksgiving, her dad and I talked to her. We begged her to come back home and have the baby. We told her of our suspicions, and warned her that this woman is a bully and will do whatever it takes to take the baby away. Sofia only became more upset with us. Then when we went to Blacksburg when Zoey was born, we saw this woman trying to manipulate her. Once again, we begged her to come back with us with the baby. We told her this woman was mentally abusing her and we pointed some things out. It wasn’t that Sofia didn’t believe us, but somehow, she felt this loyalty. Plus, she had an apartment set up for her and Zoey. That’s the feeling I got anyway.

Now, this woman is trying to act all nice to us when we are there. She even told Sofia that she never intended to take Zoey away from her. She only wanted to help Sofia with her mental health. Okay, and I was born yesterday! I didn’t know she studied medicine!?! I just went along, because I don’t want to raise any red flags with this woman. But after we left the first time, I told Sofia not to fall for what she said. I told her if this was true, then this woman wouldn’t have gotten pissed off when Child Protective Services said it was okay for Sofia to have Zoey with her as long as Richard and/or I were with her. This woman was not a happy camper when Richard and I arrived in Blacksburg when all this started. I mean really, they had retained a lawyer, and they had a court date. They furnished the court with the hospital address Sofia was in, therefore; Sofia never received a summons. They were hoping to go to court in the beginning of March, without Sofia knowing it and her son would’ve had custody (really her, but she’s using her son). They thought they were on easy street and Sofia would’ve had to pay child support. What they didn’t count on is this, the boy’s stepmom (as a result, she can only see Zoey when Sofia and I are there because this woman has forbidden her to see Zoey) called us and told us what had happened. They didn’t count on Richard and myself to go there and retain a lawyer for Sofia. So not only did Sofia show up in court, but she had representation as well.

Her son, is the only reason she is able to have Zoey right now. She is the one communicating right now with me about Zoey. Her son doesn’t communicate with Sofia about their daughter. Sofia calls him to find out how Zoey is doing. The guardian had specifically stated for the grandmothers to stay out of it and that the parents need to communicate with each other about the child.

While there is progress being made. There are still some obstacles. We saw her lawyer on Monday before we came back home. She is going to make a case for Sofia on the fact that this woman manipulated her and Sofia should have full custody, in Chesapeake. She will try to make the argument that Sofia’s resources are so much better at home. But she is preparing us for a possible different outcome. The guardian is trying to fight for joint custody and that each parent has 3 days on, 3 days off. Sofia will have to live in Blacksburg. The reasoning is this, she chose to move there and have the baby there. It will not matter how many letters the Dr. or therapist writes explaining how she was vulnerable and immature at the time of her decision.

If Sofia has to stay in Blacksburg, I am going to try to relocate over there. In fact, I am working on that right now. Virginia Tech is there and they have jobs I may be qualified for, so I have to update my resume and apply for work there. I am just going to start sending applications and resumes to many different companies there and the surrounding areas. However, what I would really like to do is join the work at home program from the company I work for now. I am waiting to hear about that this coming week. This would be ideal, and we have until the end of May before the final hearing.

Richard and I talked about this and we are in agreement. We don’t like that arrangement, but we need to do what we have to do. Sofia is trying really hard to make improvements for herself. In hindsight, this may be what it took to get her to shape up. Our Father works in ways we wouldn’t ever think of.

Wow, long story again, and there is more, but I gave you the gist of it.

I love you all a lot!!!

Blessings,
Cathi

#144943 - 04/08/08 03:45 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Our Father works in ways that we would never think of..I am sure there is a meaning here..why Zoey has the parents that she does..so don´t despair if things take time..there are many threads to pull and put together here..and perhaps time is your greatest asset..and for Zoey,too.

Sending you all my love..and trying to push along some strength to you all...because it´s a nightmare that involves so many..and above all Zoey..Hugs..Hugs..and then some more hugs..

#144944 - 04/08/08 06:08 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: humlan]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Your strength is amazing. Also, the fact that you are willing to move for the sake ofyour daughter and granddaughter. How far will you be from your parents if you choose to move.

Is the hopeful outcome of hte next visit that you will bring Zoey home with you for a week?

#144945 - 04/08/08 06:26 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia
Dotsie Offline
Founder

While the site was down, I found this little inspirational piece for you.

I recalled you saying your weren't sure if what you said to Sophia about God not giving us more than we can handle was the right thing to say.

"Perhaps today your burden is greater than your capacity. Tell the Lord, for He will either lighten the load or, by His power, increase your capacity to bear the burden.
Nona Kelley

#144946 - 04/08/08 11:03 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Cathi, you are so incredibly supportive of Sophia and Zoey. I send blessings for the best.

Poet and essayist

#144947 - 04/09/08 01:34 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: meredithbead]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Quote:

Is the hopeful outcome of hte next visit that you will bring Zoey home with you for a week?

We are bringing her back this weekend. We are driving to Blacksburg on Friday evening and picking Zoey up at 10am on Saturday morning. Then we are going to go to Northern VA until Monday morning. My parent's, her great-grandparent's, haven't seen her yet and they are anxious to do so. With my dad's condition, they haven't been able to travel to Blacksburg. Blacksburg is about 5 hours away from Chesapeake and 4 hours away from Northern VA. So yes, I will not be much farther than my parent's home if I need to re-locate. Dotsie, I'm sure you remember my brother, he and his family are going to come to my parent's house on Sunday to see Zoey. They haven't seen her yet either. We cannot take Zoey outside the State of VA while we are waiting for the court date. Neither party can. So my brother has to come to VA to see her. Even though he lives an hour away from my parent's.

BTW, Blacksburg is where Virginia Tech is located. In fact, the apartment complex Sofia is living in is HUD housing and it use to be a dorm for Virginia Tech. I cringe when I see all those upcoming specials on the Virginia Tech shootings last year. This is the reason we are in this predicament to begin with. They are so paranoid in that town when it comes to any mental health issues. Sofia is not the only one who has to fight to get her baby back. There are others there as well.

Thanks Humlan, I think you are right. It's a long time to wait, but it is also good to take advantage of the time as well. So much has been accomplished since the beginning of March. In the long run, I have to believe that our Father is weaving together an outcome that will be of benefit to us all, especially Zoey. I will also say, this has forced Sofia to grow up and mature a bit.

Meredith, I am only trying to fulfill a promise I made when I found out I was pregnant 19 years ago. When the Dr told me I was pregnant, all I wanted to do was protect this child and take care of her the best I could. I remember that as if it was yesterday. Thanks for the blessings.

I love you all alot!

Blessings,
Cathi

#144948 - 04/09/08 07:57 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh boy. I bet there will bemore photos to come!

Once you have her for a week and then take her back to her dad, what happens?

How is Sophia doing with what she needed to accomplish? Is she moving right along?

#144949 - 04/09/08 10:45 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia
Wisdom&Life Offline

After that week, we go back the following weekend and have her that weekend in Blacksburg. That one is important because we are Greek Orthodox and the last weekend in Apr is our Easter. After that, we don't have a schedule. I am really hoping to go back to work on or about May 7th. It depends on what is happening and if the Dr. will release me to go back.

Yes, it is happening slowly but surely. She is continuing with her parenting class through the Chesapeake Community Services. She is continuing her therapy 2 times a week. She is working on her drivers license. Last night we did get her a car. It's not new, but it seems to be in good shape. It's a 2002 Saturn sedan. Very practical for a baby. As for a job, we are going to a temp agency either tomorrow or Friday and she will need to apply there. We chose a company with an office here and in Blacksburg, just in case she has to end up living in Blacksburg, and hopefully files can be transferred if necessary.

Cheers,
Cathi

Edited to correct dates. I had too many weeks, LOL!

Edited by Optimumsteps (04/10/08 12:37 AM)

#144950 - 04/11/08 04:40 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Well, we are on our way to Blacksburg to pick up Zoey. I just cannot wait to see her. Sofia is so excited to be with her daughter and I just hope she will be able to have her permanently soon!

We are going to Northern VA tomorrow so her great grandparents can finally see her on our side of the family. My mom is so excited and I really hope this will lift both my mom and dad's spirits. I am hoping my brother and his family can make it on Sunday to see Zoey as well. They live an hour away, but they live in MD. We cannot take her out of the state of VA until the final custody hearing.

Anyway, I love you all alot and those of you in Vegas!!! Have a great time!!!

Cheers,
Cathi

#144951 - 05/29/08 11:24 AM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Just a little update that I heard from Cathi. The trial was this week. I'm sure she'll be here soon to tell us how it went. She was optimistic going in due to some things the lawyer said.

#144952 - 05/30/08 03:57 AM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I wish your daughter lots of luck...to have her daughter as part of her life forever somehow..and to help baby in life.

#144953 - 06/06/08 06:09 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: orchid]
Songbird08 Offline

Hi Cathi, this is Song. How are you and your daughter lately? I've had her on our prayer list for a while and pray all is getting better.
http://inkspirationsbyrhodi.blogspot.com

#144954 - 06/06/08 09:29 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Songbird08]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

We're all anxious to hear from you Cathi, whenever you have the chance! Sending good thoughts your way, JJ

#144955 - 06/07/08 11:40 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: jawjaw]
Wisdom&Life Offline

I'm so sorry ladies. I don't know whether I am coming or going sometimes.

Well, I really do not feel comfortable devulging too much information publicly, but I will put it this way. Bad behavior was definitely rewarded. The bottom line was, she chose to live there and have the baby there and if she wants to have the baby 50% of the time, she will have to live there. Commonwealth is starting to sound more like communist wealth.

There is one bit of good news for her, we have another court date on Sep 5 in order to review the situation. This is based on their age and maturity level and how circumstances can change rapidly.

Bottom line is this, Sofia can only have her daughter 8 days out of the month as long as she remains here with us. However, the judge did award both of them joint and physical custody. In other words, he took away the primary custody from the j**k. He told Sofia he would've had her spend equal time with her daughter if she was living there.

I'll try to send more information by private message when I get a chance. On top of it all, I have been working overtime because when I came back to work there was a huge load of it waiting for me.

I love you all alot!

Cathi

#144956 - 06/07/08 11:51 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Cathi, I'm sorry that you and your daughter, as well as your grandaughter have to go through this! I'll be watching and hoping things go in your favor. There is nothing worse than emotional abuse when a woman is so young, although battering is equally evil.

My best wishes to you and your family, good, good luck!

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#144957 - 07/11/08 01:45 AM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: dancer9]
Songbird08 Offline

Cathi: How are you and yours doing? I pray you are well. Please know God cares, and so do we. I continue to pray and wait in the Lord. He's still working for His children and doing wonders for those who cry out to Him in faith. (Please see Jeremiah 33:3).

Blessings!

#144958 - 07/14/08 01:50 AM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Songbird08]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Thank you Songbird. As funny as it may seem. I see more of God working than ever before.

We are coping well and things are at least better than they had been before.

I really miss all of you very much. I am just trying to catch up with so many things, in particular with work. But, no complaints here, I'm just greatful to have a job and work for a great company.

I'll talk to you all soon! Zoey is getting bigger and she is so delightful. If I knew being a grandma would've been this much fun, I would've done that first!

The Lord is truly an Awesome Father!

I love you all alot!!!

Cathi

#144959 - 07/14/08 02:42 AM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
chickadee Offline

Hi Cathi, Song is gone to visit her Mom for awhile. How about some pics of Zoey when you have time. Like Song, I have you in my prayers.

#144960 - 07/14/08 07:53 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: chickadee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Cathi, so happy to get this update. Is she with you, or are you going back and forth? Also, how's your dad?

#144961 - 07/20/08 08:49 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia
Wisdom&Life Offline

We are going back and forth. Sofia only gets her 8 days out of the month and has to pay child support as well. This was a very disappointing outcome and I am never going to understand how nasty people seem to get ahead.

Having said this, I have to remain positive, that God knows what He is doing and sooner or later, these people will be exposed for what they are.

My dad has not been doing well lately, but I am hoping he will get some other kind of treatment. He and my mom had to return from Greece early because he was sick the entire time.

I posted a couple of pictures of Zoey in the Grandmother's section Zoey Swimming

Oh and I don't think I mentioned this, but there will be a review with the judge as to where Sofia and Zoey's dad are. Sofia's lawyer recommended this due to the age of both parents and how rapidly the maturity level changes.

I love you all Alot!

Cheers,
Cathi

#144962 - 07/31/08 07:07 PM Re: My Daughter Sofia [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Songbird08 Offline

What great news, Cathi. Glad things are better. God still works, though not always in our time. His time frame is not the same as ours! But He works. Zoey is beautiful as can be. God bless her abundantly, and may this ordeal have a very happy ending.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved