The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 112 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#14487 - 08/09/03 07:50 AM Year anniversary
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
It will be a year on Monday since my grandma died. I didn't relaize how much it would affect me until this morning. We were really close and I miss her all the time,I don't know what it is about anniversaries that makes it so bad. The hard part is I really have no one to share it with. With my other grandma, the whole family greived together, it just doesn't happen that way with my father's side of the family. It's not like I can't share or get comfort from others, it's just not the same. It just makes it even sadder. So ot won't be a godd weekend for me.

#14488 - 08/08/03 09:41 PM Re: Year anniversary
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Sorry to hear you are grieving alone. What a bummer!

I'll be honest and share something with you that might make you feel better.

I truly thought the build-up to my mom's first anniversary was worse than the actual day. I don't know what I expected the day to be like...maybe reliving the whole funeral day, moment by moment, but I really didn't do that.

Just make sure you keep yourself occupied so you don't have much time to dwell on it.

Also, be sure to reflect on all the happy times you shared!

I'm praying for ya!

#14489 - 08/14/03 03:40 PM Re: Year anniversary
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
It has been several years now since I lost my dad and a decade since Michael and I lost his brother and I learned something important about dealing with grief. Do not commemorate the date of death....choose to celebrate the joy filled days...like birthdays and anniversaries and holidays that were special to our loved ones. I also learned that it seems to take a minimum of 2 years before you feel like you can breath again. About 2 years after dad died I woke up one morning to discover that the lead weight that had been dangling from my heart was gone. Now, as tough dates approach, I try to remember the way dad would celebrate an event, like St. Pat's day, and do something that he would have enjoyed. I also have a Dear Daddy journal, where I often share thoughts and events and updates about the kids. It isn't as good as the real thing....but it helps. God bless you with grace and mercy and his loving comfort....I know it feels awful now, but I promise, it does get better.

#14490 - 08/20/03 05:56 AM Re: Year anniversary
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Dotise and Kathryn thanks for thinking of me. I wanted to let you know that the build up to it was in deed worse than the actual day. I did go out to the cemetary and take some things from my garden. I laid down on a blanket and just sat there for a while. It actually felt really good.

The actual day was fairly uneventful, I was very busy at work and it wasn't until the evening that I got a chance to think about it. I gave my Dad a call, but he didn't return it.

Thanks so much to the both of you for your support. I really do appreciate it.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved