The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 144 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#144139 - 03/06/08 03:57 PM Activities for a two-year-old
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I purchased a handmade puzzle from a crafter at the show last week that I cannot wait to teach Grace. But not sure if it is good for her age. I want to "hide" each piece and put a clue where to find the next one!

What other things can I do? I know nothing about a 2-year old!

#144140 - 03/06/08 08:13 PM Re: Activities for a two-year-old [Re: Di]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
My granddaughter is two. I think a two year old doesn't understand the concept of a clue.
Two year olds love to play hide and seek.
Love blocks, building towers and throwing them over.
Puppets, (a stocking puppet will do), coloring (make sure you get good quality crayons, that don't break easily, and color without having to push down too hard.)
Music, singing, and finger games. Remember "One little two little three little Indians?"
They laugh at silly faces, and play "boo" under a blanket. And they love seesaws and swings at the playground.
Their little lives are all about discovering. Your shoes are something new to them. Let the toddler play with plastic bowls and wooden spoons. Build a pile of pillows and jump into them.
By the end of the day you will both be exhausted. I know I am…I can hardly type this.

#144141 - 03/07/08 01:32 AM Re: Activities for a two-year-old [Re: Edelweiss]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
2-year olds want to do "real" things, like helping you cook or shop. (at least mine did) My kids loved standing on a step stool in the kitchen and help stir the muffins, or put the muffin cups in the tins, etc.

If you take them to the store, you can have them help you find the yellow box, or the prettiest orange, or have them help you weigh some produce. It amazes me when families leave their kids in the cart when they could be helping and learning - it keeps them occupied instead of whining in the cart.

Have fun!! Puzzles are great, but at that age they must be pretty simple and fast to hold their attention. You'll do great!

Kathy

#144142 - 03/07/08 01:49 AM Re: Activities for a two-year-old [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Di,
All the above suggestions are terrific and right on target. I have my 2 year old grandson at least one day and overnight a week and it takes a lot to keep him involved. I love it though.
You might want to check out this book that I read and gave a review for. "Grandloving- Making Memories with Your Grandchildren" by Sue Johnson & Julie Carlson. It's the award-winning 4th edition. It's great. Here's the review:

Grandloving" is a delightful, informative book packed full of activities to share with your grandchildren regardless of their age or if you live 'a world away'...or next door. The activities are arranged by themes and 'do together' projects or those that are 'sent to' the grandchild.
This book touches on how families can work together creating new relationships as the children become new parents and the parents move into their next role of being a grandparent.
More than an activity guide, Grandloving is a beautifully written book full of common sense suggestions that touch upon how everyone can work through everyday interaction, to how special events and holidays can be celebrated that brings families closer for the happiness of the child.
As a first time grandparent, I am thrilled with this book and look forward to sharing many good times and activities with our new grandchild. This is a must read for anyone involved with children and their happiness.
www.tidedancer.com

#144143 - 03/07/08 03:15 AM Re: Activities for a two-year-old [Re: Sandpiper]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
My grandbeauty started loving puzzles when she was very young. She's three now and works 60+ piece ones by herself. She loves to have me read books to her, and her Mom does as well. Her sissy, loves playdough and art things. Like finger paints. And she is two years old.

Both girls LOVE...absolutely LOVE to stand on their stools with me in the kitchen and help make things. I bought stools for both of them. They love to help me water plants and anything to do with water.

There are so many toys out there now to help them play AND learn at the same time. Take a stroll down the aisle at Wally World. You'll be amazed.

We also take turns telling stories. This helps them to use their imagination. And hide and seek...Lordy...we are forever playing that.

#144144 - 03/07/08 04:13 AM Re: Activities for a two-year-old [Re: jawjaw]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Thank you, Ladies. All wonderful things!

How 'bout "Hucka-bucka-Beanstalk"? Kinda like Hide 'n' Seek but with an item instead of a person.

The book sounds good, too. I do have a "games" type book that I found at a used bookstore, so I'll look at that, too.

We also have a chalkboard....might be fun.

DH says she will not need toys....he will keep her busy showing her bugs, sticks, dirt LOL! Compost, doggies, kitty etc. He's so excited he cannot stand it!

We have cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. We also want to have my DSD take a nice, long bath when she is here. We will pamper her, too. Once the mother is rested, maybe she will go back home refreshed! She does not get much help except from her husband, but he works all day. Her MIL is nearly 80 and her mom lives in another state. Soooo...we want to be the "different" grandparents!

I even told her I'd change a diaper! Not for the two-year old, but for the 3-month old.

They arrive on Monday after we get home from picking them up. Then, it's when we REALLY find out how it is!

#144145 - 03/07/08 09:16 AM Re: Activities for a two-year-old [Re: Di]
Mountain Ash Offline

Children like familar stories.Repeated again and again.If you stray from the story line they know.
They can be overloaded if we try to hard...better to be open to them processing the new surroundings.
Every child is unique and that what makes childcare so interesing.
MA

#144146 - 03/08/08 08:49 AM Re: Activities for a two-year-old [Re: Mountain Ash]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
JJ, just want to say how impressed I am that your three year old grandchild can do a 60 piece puzzle! They say children who can do puzzles learn how to concentrate, and therefore are really good in school. Makes sense to me.
I got to brag a little here too. Anaiya ( turned 2 in Feb.) is growing up bilingual. The Kindergarten teachers can't get over it. She is actually teaching them English. Of course her sentences are limited to three, sometimes four words, but she knows everything in English and German. She speaks automatically English to me and to everyone else she speaks German. Guess I'm a little proud of that, since her only English comes from me, except when her Mom comes; … once in a blue moon.
I'm off the podest now, and will someone take the blue ribbon pin out of my chest… ouch.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved