The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#144086 - 03/05/08 03:11 PM What to see in NY if you only have 2-3 days?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Okay, we're going to be in New York City for 2-3 days before heading to Ireland this summer. I need suggestions for where to eat, where to stay, and what to do in such a short time period.

My husband's not into theatre, none of us like opera. I imagine we'd like to see the sites, eat at neat places, and stay where it's not too expensive. (Is that possible??)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Kathy

#144087 - 03/05/08 06:07 PM Re: What to see in NY if you only have 2-3 days? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Broadway shows are something diff from theatre and opera... I thoroughly enjoyed the one we went to. The effects were awesome!
Don't bother trying the cheesecake and hamburgers New Yorkers brag about - they were awful.
Central Park and people watching - now that was fun! We even bought into the carriage with a white horse ride around the park, then ate at Tavern On The Green in the evening - that was a classy restaurant, in those days.
We hit the subway to say we did... we don't have those in the Texas south.
Greenich Village and the surrounding area was my fav... even though there was a police involved incident just half a block away from us. It's probably more commercialized now. In the time frame we went, it was really quaint, somewhat scary, hard to get a taxi... but, unique... we walked mostly.
We drove through the worst part of Queens - didn't get out, but we looked.
We were so close to taking a helicopter ride over Niagra Falls, but didn't.
That has been over twenty years ago, and the best I can remember about our trip.

#144088 - 03/05/08 08:26 PM Re: What to see in NY if you only have 2-3 days? [Re: gims]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Manhattan. My hometown. Wish I was there to take you around, Kathy.

Divide your tour of the city into lower, mid-town and upper. A day for each section. West to east. It's a city you would not get lost in as the streets are on a grid. But on the first day, I'd suggest a cruise down the Hudson is a good one to do. It'll take you around the island of Manhattan and Ellis & Statue of Liberty. It's a guided tour which takes a good 3 hours. You can catch it from the harbour at 42nd Street (Hudson side).

As you'd already be in mid-town Manhattan, the cruise could be followed by a walking tour crossing from the westside to the eastside: Broadway, Time Square, Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden, the garment district, Rockefeller Center, and the UN amongst others. The famous shops are mostly in mid-town. Get a bite to eat at Grand Central food court. You'd be surprised at what they have to offer.

The upper west/east is where you find the museums. Start off by checking out F.A.O. Schwarz (just for the fun of it), Carnegie Hall, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museum of Modern Art, Guggenheim and lots of other museums. Very upscale boutique shopping on Madison Avenue, Bloomies on Lexington. Central Park starts from 59th South Central and you can catch a horse driven buggy from there.

Lower Manhattan for Greenwich Village, Soho, Chinatown, Canal Street (for good buys), Little Italy, Ground Zero, Wall Street, the Stock Exchange amongst a few places to walk through.

Have fun!

#144089 - 03/09/08 07:46 AM Re: What to see in NY if you only have 2-3 days? [Re: Lola]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Kathy, some of the best food is in little hole-in-the-wall cafes, where you can sit at a tiny sidewalk table and watch the people go by. These are everywhere -- just pick one with an interesting menu! Plenty of inexpensive food in Chinatown. Cannoli and pizza in Little Italy. Delis. All kinds of ethnic food. To Lola's visit-list, I'd add the Rose Planetarium. I also really liked the ferry to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.

Gims, hamburgers??? I'm a native of NYC, and hardly remember hamburgers at all. But I love the cheesecake! And always indulge in a big warm pretzel with mustard from a street cart vendor.

As far as food that you won't find in Cali -- check the deli menus -- spinach-stuffed fresh flounder is amazing!

Poet and essayist

#144090 - 03/09/08 03:27 PM Re: What to see in NY if you only have 2-3 days? [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Yep, we were told to get a hamburger. And we did. Maybe the suggestion was a sick joke. The hambuger was a bunch of overcooked handpressed meat on a bun with one leaf of lettuce, ketchup and nothing else to speak of... NOT a hamburger in my eyes. And it was small, and expensive! The cheesecake was too strong for me. I like a milder cheesecake... BUT, could probably learn to like NY style - as I loveeee cheesecake, esp. with cherry or blueberry topping.

lola, I forgot about the cruise on the river. I didn't care much for it. The lady that sat next to me wouldn't shut up. We didn't have a crusie guide. We were left to look on our own, without benefit of being told what we were seeing.

#144091 - 03/09/08 11:38 PM Re: What to see in NY if you only have 2-3 days? [Re: gims]
mscoach Offline

Loc: Hampton Bays, NY
Another native NY-er weighing in. If you are a foody I'd say determine what you'd like to spend on one really incredible meal and then check out the website www.timeout.com/ny where they do a better job of having real reviews than the Zagat which I know most people swear by. That goes for all aspects of things to do in the city.
Sites mean different things to different people but if you are not into crowds do the touristy things early in the morning.
The Empire State Building does a great tour via audio program. They give a lot of history of the neighborhoods you are viewing from above.
I agree that the chinatown/Little Italy area is a great stop but you may not find the best restaurants just by walking around and stopping in. Again I'd check out a guide and have some place in mind.
Staying inexpensively is not impossible but again that's relative and means different prices to different travelers. I have stayed in corporate apts for better rates than hotel rooms and there is always a kitchen in them so don't have to eat out at every meal unless you want to. I suggest a google search for that.
One of the most beautiful churches is The Cathedral of St. John the Divine. it's uptown on 113th I think and Amsterdam. Worth the trip and on Amsterdam Ave around 109th is an old world Polish bakery which is wonderful for an after tour coffee and pastry break.
St. Patrick's Cathedral is the grande dame of NYs churches but there are so many lovely historic religious buildings throughout the city.
Avoid all tourist traps such as can be found in Times Square when looking for a place to eat. Unless of course you know what you are in for and want the experience more than the food. They represent the chain feel not the feel of such a varied city.

Have a great time and let us know what you loved and didn't when you get back.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved