The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 192 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#143948 - 03/10/08 12:55 AM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..? [Re: Mountain Ash]
char222 Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
I'd like to add my thoughts -- I originally "retired" 6 years ago at age 55 when my wonderful husband took early retirement at age 61 and asked me to leave my job and be able to enjoy our lives together - you know, travel, walks along the beach, etc. Since this was my second marriage and the love of my life I eagerly said "yes". A year and a half later my husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and died in six weeks. I have never regretted my decision to "retire" to enjoy life with him. But what have I been doing for the last 4 years??? TOTALLY ENJOYING LIFE!! I decided not to return to the insurance industry because I really never liked it but needed it to raise my 3 kids alone. I had to try lots of things to see what really "fit" for me. Finally I decided to work as a life coach part time and enjoy traveling on life's journey part time. At present, I go to school three mornings a week in a fantastic program called OLLI (Osher Life Long Learning Institute) its all over the US and really inexpensive. I'm studing photography, memior writing, and exploring the area I live in from the ice age to present time. I also volunteer at my local theatre group. My children and grandkids live out of state and sometimes its lonely but I keep busy and we call each other daily. I think the real cons of retirement is wasting time -- its a gift to explore all the things you never thought you could do.....enjoy it!!

#143949 - 03/10/08 12:56 AM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..? [Re: Mountain Ash]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
This is a strange thought for me. I have never had to work but have always worked! I put my money in a trust fund that has been supporting me all of my life. I don't see a dime except to spend it and I don't think about retiring.

A choreographer who is good usually dies at work! A jazz or blues singer sings until they are ancient, if you've watched the career of people like BB King and the woman who sings with him.

I never give a thought to stopping working, really. I do get paid for what I do because that has to do with self esteem. I give a lot away because I can and that means I should. I give too much away at times, I am told.

But, I have time to read, travel and have hobbies so I don't know what I would do if I did retire...?

There's always that new dance step or that person who needs to learn to dance. There is always a show going up that needs a choreographer and people always want to hear jazz and blues!

I don't give it thought but it was interesting to read about those who do!

Dancer9

"Question your privilege"

#143950 - 03/10/08 03:39 AM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..? [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I tend to agree with hunlan..there is a hard reality that some of us cannot for economic reasons, retire early.

So for myself the way around this..is to do my cycling and bits of painting when I can during my little free time amongst huge hunks of time sucked up by work commutes and earning a living.

Most likely by retirement, I would like to work part-time (for 1-2 days) per week and then apply my energy to personal passions. I'm a more solitary person by nature ...and do derive some contrasting human interaction ..to challenge my thoughts and how I view the world.

I have noticed for my partner who is retired (but sort of getting out of it in starting up a biz..), he has used points of my schedule to determine his cycling time, local trips and his volunteer work when I am away. Part of the reason why he meets me halfway to cycle home during warmer seasons is...it adds on more mileage cycling for him..which is what he wants. But he does all his hard cycling when I'm not around...to slow him down.

#143951 - 03/10/08 11:20 AM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..? [Re: chatty lady]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Thanks Chatty. I nkow about Wal Mart. It doesn't apply to all meds. some of the ones I take are not generic and I won't switch to something different. I might check into it again though. You never know when they increase or change their list of meds they accept.

On the subject of retirement: My husband loves being retired. He has plenty to do. We go to Disney twice a year through our disney Vacation Club and we go on two or three weekend getaways a year. He also goes on sports trips with one of his friends once in a while when he can. I cannot retire yet, but look forward to it. I'm sure I will find things to do.

#143952 - 03/10/08 12:28 PM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..? [Re: chatty lady]
Mountain Ash Offline

Humlan
"recreating a circle."
A house is for sale next door.A couple much our age.Two children grown.We had many fine times when the children were young..we were stay at home Mothers for a long time.Then work and study made gaps.Mrs. retired last year and now Mr is retired and they wish to move near their family to baby sit etc.
Never a cross word a repected friendship but no longer in and out of homes.Childrens frienships shared was the main focus.
I was quite affected seeing the sign go up.Not for today but for the times...the energy of the past .
I then gave thought to the local popualation.Fewer people here now who have been as long as we have.New build is popular and these homes change hands often.
It a realisation that my feelings are of times changing bringing any change for me closer.All things will change..
So along with having more time...retirement is a changing mind set..Bonus time to go out together and the new pursuits.
Whatever happens for two families we share memories of good times..we even shared a cat!! a moody girl who has a split life.
But that for sale sign evoked a lump in my throat.
Mountain ash

#203655 - 05/19/10 07:35 PM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..? [Re: Mountain Ash]
jakkom Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Pros:
- Being able to set your own daily schedule. It’s a relief to avoid commute traffic, although that means errands are squeezed into the middle of the day. But there’s always tomorrow, LOL.
- Getting enough sleep. Not a small thing; many people are sleep-deprived.
- Traveling at your own pace, instead of thinking, “Gee, I only have a week and I want to see/do XX number of fun activities – can I fit everything in?”

Cons:
- Your friends/family are still working, so get-togethers are still on the weekends.
- You’re now on a budget. How you spend money matters a great deal, as inflation/price increases nibble away at your $$. In today’s economy, it’s unlikely you can just ‘go back to work part-time’ to earn additional money to ease a budget deficit. You need to have already planned for unexpected expenses and disability/death, not just trusting to luck, Providence, or government aid as your sole backstop.
- Start working on creating a new social circle. Time will inevitably scatter your friends and former co-workers, so you need to keep reaching out to invigorate your personal contacts.

Despite the inevitable ups and downs, my DH and I were fortunate to be able to take early retirement and can live very comfortably. We’ve done a lot of planning, so were able to take the recent market gyrations in stride. I’ve been retired for several years but DH just retired last December, so this is our time to travel together – nothing big, just some fun places we’ve wanted to re-visit – while our health still permits it.

We have a lot of hobbies, so retirement was not a big adjustment for us as it might be for some. In fact, we often don’t have time to do some things we thought we would! Most important is fitting in physical activity. We like to walk and hike, which can take up quite a few hours in a day! I can’t walk as far as DH, so half the time we’ll separate. I’ll take an easier, shorter walk while he goes to a state park and hikes 2-3 hours up and down hills. My family and I are super-foodies so gotta do something to keep the pounds from multiplying!

#203666 - 05/19/10 10:35 PM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..? [Re: jakkom]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Your description pretty much sums it up Jakkom. Been there am doing it all now...I also work for myself when I want to and as hard as I want to. I have cut back dramatically lately to enjoy life outdoors more.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#203685 - 05/20/10 03:16 PM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..? [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I reinvented myself after forced retirement. I began writing publicly, doing VA work, and learning new skills. While I'm having the time of my life, I've never worked harder. Yet...it seems like fun all the time.

I wake up every day with a grateful heart, instead of dreading going into the office. Life can AND IS sweet after retirement.

The only downside I can see to it all is discipline. Now where did I put that discipline of mine...hmmm...

#203700 - 05/20/10 06:44 PM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..? [Re: jawjaw]
Mountain Ash Offline

My week gets filled up with events and although several people told me this would happen when I no longer went out to work I agree that they were speaking the truth.
At presentI have plants to nurture and how I would like a full day in my greenhouse and patio...did some this morning...went to an appointment did some more after tea..love it.
I am hand feeding a robin and father blackbird..they keep me company as I tend the flowers..baby blackbird walks around..mum is on eggs..I have a smile on my face...even when no one is here..

#203701 - 05/20/10 06:47 PM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mountain Ash Offline

The father bird takes the soaked sultanas to his nest and feeds the family..then he eats.
Robin seeks me out for company as well as some crumbs and fruit.watches me with a cocked head..gregarious robin

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved