The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#143928 - 03/02/08 07:25 PM What are the pros and cons of being retired..??
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
I have read some of the threads on this subject..so what I am looking for is..how are you girls feeling right now about retirement? What are you doing? Or not doing? Because you don´t always have to be DOING something..this I believe strongly (for myself anyway)

What are the pros and cons of retirement..do you think..at this point in time?

Thank you for any answers that come...

I can´t retire now at 60 for economical reasons or so I think..but I am longing for it. I sometimes wonder if I should be careful what I wish for? AND I DO KNOW that I should be happy where I am in life and love it and myself and others..RIGHT NOW!!! But I am so tired at times after my day at work with the children..and I don´t have the energy for other things that I would also like to do..I was going to write that "i just flake out when I come home"..but after thinking about it alittle, I realize that what I do when I come home are things I want to do,too..hmm.. but I don´t have the time and energy for my grandchildren and adult children that I would sometimes like to have..and they are IMPORTANT to me!

#143929 - 03/02/08 07:58 PM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..?? [Re: humlan]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I post timidly because of how you signed off in another forum post... But, since you didn't suggest any limits, I'll contribute.

I am not retired, considering myself currently unemployed - going on six years, now. For the first three years, I was caring for grandchildren to help out my youngest daughter, who (with her family of five) had just relocated to Texas from NY state. Those three years flew by. Then my parents' healths started declining rapidly, along with emotional upsets it brought to our large family. Our mom has been my main objective (if you can call a person that) since one of my sisters moved back from CA to care for our dad.

Now about retirement - I don't see myself as retired, even though my DH pushes me to accept that as my state of being. I look forward to finding a job that I love so much I will never want to retire from it. If I were in a job position strictly for economical means right now, I think I would be thinking of ways to change to one that would give me a sustainable income while it fed my soul at the same time. If I enjoy my work, I welcome the "good" tired it brings.
AS yet, I haven't found that type of employment for myself... don't even know if it exists.
To never work again, as in retirement, seems deadly. I watch my mom and dad, who have traveled extensively with their ministry, and see them face the day in and day out with no responsibilities, per se, and see how sad they seem. I think the answer to their "retirement" would be having the means to do as they wish, regardless. But, when I think of myself that way, I can't find an appealing aspect to it. I guess I have had to work to have tangible and non-tangible things for so long, working for them is part of the pleasure. Maybe if I had been one with a bottomless purse, I might be thinking differently.
Free time - carving out blocks of free time is the answer for me, while working at something fulfilling and financially rewarding.
Is what I'm thinking a bunch of nothing?

#143930 - 03/02/08 08:13 PM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..?? [Re: gims]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Too Young to Retire: 101 Ways to Start the Rest of Your Life
Author: Marika Stone, Howard Stone

A book I have, but haven't read.

#143931 - 03/03/08 01:19 AM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..?? [Re: gims]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I'm in a different situation than most because I was able to quit working when I got married, due to my husband's income from his disabiltiy (military service connected). When I first stopped working, it was kind of weird. How to fill my days? That was 16 years ago. Now I have so many inerests and hobbies that there still isn't enough time in the day, most days, to do all I want to do! We do lots of volunteer work, have many friends who also have lots of free time that we are able to enjoy doing things with, and I often wonder how I would do it all if I had to go back to work! I don't spend any time feeling unfullfilled. I don't have time for that!!

#143932 - 03/03/08 05:01 AM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..?? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Reality is that for economical reasons, I do have to work until mandatory retirement age. It's not what I want. It freaks me out that just yesterday I found out a woman I know will be retiring at 55, early retirement. That's only 6 yrs. older than myself. She is sounding jaded and probably doesn't have drive right now to reinvent her career.

But I'm trying my very best to squeeze in personal time passions now...not wait until the real retirement comes. You never know how life might be by then..besides interest courses come and go.

ANd their accessibility varies tremendously on where one is living ..if there is even decent instructors around.

ANd I cannot wait until retirement to do travelling that requires decent physical fitness...I must do it now when I'm still quite healthy. I am reminded of this whenever we do rigorous hiking/snowshoeing/cycling stints.

Problem is lack of time....sigh.

#143933 - 03/03/08 10:14 AM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..? [Re: orchid]
Mountain Ash Offline

gims
I totally understand your definiton of unemployed v retired.
It took some time for me to accept my status.Partly due to stopping work earlier than I anticipated.
I believe laterly I felt defined by my job...then as it dawned on me all the benefits of having TIME for other pursuits.Even feeding a stray cat and the winning over of this poor creature.
Other more personal events showed me that home is a sacred place.
But having loved my job and contacts was a loss.I am on the cusp of finding another niche ..
Perhaps some are progammed to continue working and others for financial reason keep going.
I do believe a curtain comes down when people ask "what are you doing now?" to be retired seems to say...getting older to some.And women do this as often as men do.Its similar to that other era...when I was a stay at home Mother...I recognise a dismisal of all I do.But it does not offend.
For a time I activly sought another job...then as I say home events changed and I know I was using energy searching.Inded I was offered work as soon as I arrived at this decision.The law of supply and demand???
Today Monday...a new week starting and I am content..I have little plans to spend the week well.
We are all different...no one need agree with me...All I can say is that being 60 is for ME different from being fifty.
MA

#143934 - 03/03/08 10:26 AM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mountain Ash Offline

If I asked some of my neigbours this question they would have other answers.Most are farmers or secretary to their husband.Music reachers in their homes.Interior designers.
One important thing for me was trying to blend into those who were at home.Those older ladies who do coffee mornings and gossips.It was not for me.
One dear friend an English teacher lost her adult daughter to cancer shared this with me...I do what I want now... Life is precious.We decided together that when the coffee days were more like Calendar Girls..then we would be in the middle.
I found many of the age 80's women saw me as a young thing.. there to be hostes sweep the floor and bake.Pick them up etc.I took one lady to hospital and they kept her.So for two weeks I visited...washed and assisted.Whilst her sons went on holiday.I did this willingly but how soon people forget..When my own husband was ill she did not even inquire how he was.Likewise my own hospital stay.Selfish people grow older like the rest of us and this led me to believe I should protect myself.I had to learn this..
Not being at work means re creating a circle..one which is acceptable and kind.I have done this.
MA

#143935 - 03/03/08 02:17 PM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..? [Re: Mountain Ash]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I want to retire...NOW. If I could, I would. I have so many things sitting on the back burner that I'd love to have the time to explore. I would also volunteer....in hospice especially. What a wonderful thing to be able to do and give my all without thinking "paycheck." Oh, and I'd write, write, write!! All this just HAS to be a pro. Right now I want it so bad that I can't think of any "cons."

#143936 - 03/03/08 08:40 PM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..? [Re: ladyjane]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
At 59, I think I’m ready to retire. I’ve been working since I was 15 years old. Of course it was after school and summer jobs, but it was work. When my children were small I gave English lessons from home. I also taught art classes, and sold art at street markets. And then I started my real-estate business. Like most of you, I’ve always worked.
The past year, I find myself fantasizing retirement. Only my fantasy entails more money;…so I got to keep working. I would like at least ¼ of my present yearly income, for my yearly pension plan. I’m far from that goal.
One thing is for sure, I have so many things I would love to do when I’m retired. I would love to start a book club for Germans wanting to read English literature. Of course golf more. Go on some long sailing trips with Hubby. Travel Europe from top to bottom and East to West. I would like to work side by side in the garden with my husband. And needless to say paint and write in all my free time.

Humlan, you sound so,…so….human. Really it’s a delight to read your posts. “… "i just flake out when I come home"..but after thinking about it a little, I realize that what I do when I come home are things I want to.”
Haha…I could have written that.

#143937 - 03/03/08 09:31 PM Re: What are the pros and cons of being retired..? [Re: Edelweiss]
Mountain Ash Offline

I am joining a book club this month at our library.The librarian is very welcoming.
Also a pop in day on 15th
sari wearing
Polish papercutting
belly dance
international food tasting
dance
hand painting
chinese writing
drumming
salsa
so many interesting things to try.When I worked I had no chance to try days like this.

MA

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved