The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#174050 - 02/08/09 11:16 PM Re: Move now or Later? [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I'm intrigued Edelweiss...why would you want to move to the U.S.? Germany has a great public supported health care system, much better than the U.S.

No, I would never move to the U.S. --just because of that alone. After hearing all the stories here and elsewhere (with a more mixed bag of U.S. women who are interested in health matters) about HMOs, etc.

#174055 - 02/08/09 11:53 PM Re: Move now or Later? [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

Originally Posted By: orchid
I know several single women who own 2-storied houses, including 2 sisters (before 1 sister got married). It's alot of work..for these women. 1 woman, a dear friend my age, owns and looks after 2 homes --a 3 bedroom that she inherited from her parents and her cottage about 100 kms. away. I don't know how she does this. Both homes have sizable backyards with flower gardens. She does alot of driving between the 2 homes. Yes, both homes are well-kept. Is there a man in life? No.

If you can believe this, she had a management job for 18 months where she had to rent a room, in a totally different city that was 150 kms. away from her 2 homes that she owned.It was a job worth this temporary living situation.

And she doesn't rent either home to anyone. No, she is childless.

As you can tell, I have carefully suggested once or twice, she has to sell a home... What is probably making it difficult is trying to figure out from a career perspective, the best region to live for optimal job market opportunities and work travel.

right now, she is looking for a job after her contract job ended. So ladies, if you think you would be exhausted looking after 1 house ...solo.

As an update, my good single friend (who is 51) who owns 2 single detached homes, is now wishing she sold her 3-4 bedroom house that she inherited. She is now finding the cost of repairs just not worth the investment...when she would like to sell it when the market gets better. So she is only having repairs done for critical stuff.

It is not a stretch for me to live in a condo, because my family lived in apartments for the lst 10 years of my life. Yea, it got much to have 5 children in a 1 bedrm. before moving to house.

Then I lived in apartment at university, etc.

I have not lived in a townhouse, house or duplex for the past 30 years. It has always been apartment, condo or sharing a house with other tenants (some of them were siblings).

If you have grown up in a big family with not alot of room, then believe me, living in a condo should not be a big deal/adjustment. Just hope your neighbours close by are ok.

Or you have thick concrete walls/have an end unit. smile

#174173 - 02/10/09 05:02 AM Re: Move now or Later? [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Quote:
I'm intrigued Edelweiss...why would you want to move to the U.S.? Germany has a great public supported health care system, much better than the U.S.

Orchid, good question. If I moved back to the US. I could keep my medical insurance, but would have to return to Germany every 6 months in order to do so. That would be rather expensive, so of course the alternative is opening a private insurance in the US. To tell you the truth, I really don't think I would want to do that. So I will probably remain in Germany for that very reason. So much for dreams.

I just got a call from my brother, and he is thinking of retiring in Germany to live close by me. Wow, that would be so wonderful. I'll be checking into some real-estate that might interest him.

I also thought of getting an apartment in Muenich. It's a very metropolitan city, and I'm sure I would meet many other Americans there if I wanted to. I just need to keep connected to Americans. It's simply where my roots are, and those roots are still very much a part of me.

#174201 - 02/10/09 02:51 PM Re: Move now or Later? [Re: Edelweiss3]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
While shoveling the drive with my daughter, then the side of the house and front, I was thinking how nice it would be to downsize.

orchid, I'm guessing this isn't a good time to seel a home in Canada either? Who does you freind have to help her maintain these properties?

EW, wow, your brother wants to move there to be with you. What a compliment. I think I recall that he was single, right? SO he's going to pick up and move when he retires?

#174301 - 02/11/09 11:50 AM Re: Move now or Later? [Re: Dotsie]
Edelweiss3 Offline

lol. Dotsie...I can understand the need to downsize while shoveling.

My brother would move after he retires. He's 56, so that will be in a while. His grilfriend would come with him. We've all gone on vacations together, and I really like her. Although I am a little surprised that she would be willing to give up her home country. It must be true love. :-)

#174479 - 02/13/09 05:49 AM Re: Move now or Later? [Re: Dotsie]
orchid Offline

Originally Posted By: Dotsie
orchid, I'm guessing this isn't a good time to seel a home in Canada either? Who does you freind have to help her maintain these properties?

EW, wow, your brother wants to move there to be with you. What a compliment. I think I recall that he was single, right? SO he's going to pick up and move when he retires?

NO, it's not great to sell a home now, but not as bad as the U.S. The Canadian banks didn't quite have such widespread problem re: mortgage and credit crisis in U.S. The Canadian banks actually rate high in terms of their solvency amongst the major industrialized countries at this time.

My friend tries to do most of it herself. However I believe she pays perhaps a teenager to mow her lawn, etc. I know for certain, she has not hired a housekeeper nor landscaper to help deal with all that work. This much I know.

Edited by orchid (02/13/09 05:50 AM)

#174711 - 02/15/09 04:04 PM Better: intergenerational places close to services [Re: Edelweiss]
orchid Offline

Really I think its healthier to downscale and move to neighbourhood that's not rowdy, close to services and amongst people of a broad range of age groups.

I was reminded of this when a much younger woman friend who is 30 who's mother is only 58 and winters with her father in Florida (he's in his 60's), is bored because most of the women in their neighbourhood are in their 60's and 70's and not as active. She has taught herself swimming and bikes leisurely around, about 20-30 miles each trip.

Now that I've turned 50...and also not far from 58..I can't even conceive of the idea of being in a community with people of only a certain age bracket. In fact I feel, I just wouldn't fit in very well, given my activities, etc. I know that there are certain groups of women my age, that I just don't hang out much with because our lives are so different.

#175388 - 02/22/09 12:57 AM Re: Better: intergenerational places close to services [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I actually relate to and get along best with people much younger than me. I hate that attitude some people in my age bracket get, its close to the end in their minds so and moan and groan accordingly. I bike, love to dance, enjoy a good joke and laughter and sure maybe I am on the downside of life but hopefully I won't go tomorrow...In the meantime give me the fun people around me.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#178070 - 03/24/09 11:16 PM Re: Move now or Later? [Re: chatty lady]
fernal Offline

Loc: CA
Assisted living and retirement communities are hot here in CA-so much so that you need to be on a waiting list to get in. At 56 I am already keeping my eye out for areas and amenities that I would like to be in and in a couple of years -put my name on a list.
I might even buy one now- rent it out and then have it ready for when I want to downsize from my home.

#178100 - 03/25/09 07:37 AM Re: Move now or Later? [Re: fernal]
Edelweiss3 Offline

That's interesting fernal. I thought the retirement communities are only in Florida. Would you have any links to these places? Buying ahead of time and renting sounds like great planning.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved