The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 97 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#143298 - 02/23/08 06:28 AM "Queen For A Day"
NYWoman Offline

Loc: California
I was strolling down Memory Lane and thought of this old TV program called "Queen for a Day." I remember watching the show and thinking it was so cool! The show was early "reality television."

Here's what I found on-line about the show:

Queen for a Day

Definition: Four women were selected from the audience. Their task: to convince everyone that they are the most pathetic. The audience judged their sob stories with the applause-o-meter, and awarded the "loser" with her wishes, plus a crown and roses.

Premiered: January 3, 1956

Catch phrase: "Would you like to be queen for a day?" DH and I definitely remember that phrase!

Hosts:Dick Curtis 1969-1970 Jack Bailey 1956-1964

"Jack Bailey hosted four contestants chosen from the studio audience that compete for prizes by telling their sad life stories - and people back then had it a LOT rougher than we do today! Heck, just going through a GOOD day in the Fifties would be like a major hardship today...

"The audience's sympathy applause decided the winner, who was then crowned, robed, tiara-ed, throned, and showered with gifts like refrigerators and washing machines.

"Jeanne Cagney (sister of James Cagney) hosted a fashion segment that ran between the many tales of woe. The show was broadcast form the glamorous Moulin Rouge restaurant on the corner of Hollywood and Vine in Hollywood.

"This very popular daytime entry started on radio in 1945, moved to TV in 1956 and finished its run on television in 1964 (with a brief revival in 1969). The show was so popular in its heyday, with so many people lined up outside the studio for tapings, that 'Queen For A Day' was expanded to 45 minutes to accommodate a fifth contestant."

Does anyone remember the show?

Now please pardon me while I go put on my cape and tiara and enjoy my beautiful bouquet of roses!

#143299 - 02/23/08 07:22 AM Re: "Queen For A Day" [Re: NYWoman]
Happy Birthday Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Why can't I remember this? Was this day time TV? That might explain it. I was probably outside climbing trees.
It does sound like the first realty show. What a hoot.

#143300 - 02/23/08 01:00 PM Re: "Queen For A Day" [Re: Edelweiss]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Oh I definitely remember this one. My Mom always had it on at home. As a child, I remember thinking it was sad and depressing because everyone seemed to feel sorry for the ladies and the eventual "queen" and then when she was crowned she cried and then everyone cried for her. But I definitely remember it well!!!

#143301 - 02/23/08 01:01 PM Re: "Queen For A Day" [Re: NYWoman]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I remember that show! I used to watch it with my grandmother. She loved it! That and Search For Tomorrow were here favorites.

#143302 - 02/23/08 04:06 PM Re: "Queen For A Day" [Re: Louisa]
NYWoman Offline

Loc: California
I was so glad to read that I'm not alone in remembering the show "Queen for a Day." What I definitely remember is the applause meter.

#143303 - 02/23/08 04:24 PM Re: "Queen For A Day" [Re: NYWoman]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I remember it as well...I think it made every housewife in America dream that it could happen for her some day.

#143304 - 02/23/08 06:35 PM Re: "Queen For A Day" [Re: jawjaw]
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Wow, I remember that one! You're right! The first "reality" show! lol
www.christianstoryteller.com

#143305 - 02/24/08 12:25 AM Re: "Queen For A Day" [Re: Sherri]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Oh yeah....shows before TV...isn't that scary? Gosh, we're really getting old!!!! Getting? Okay...I AM old...but, gosh haven't we seen a lot of changes. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

#143306 - 02/24/08 06:11 AM Re: "Queen For A Day" [Re: Dee]
AmyDoodle Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I remember! I remember! Man, I wanted that crown.

#143307 - 02/25/08 01:22 AM Re: "Queen For A Day" [Re: AmyDoodle]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I loved this show and wish they'd create an up to date version... don't know how well the 'queen' part would work.

#143308 - 02/25/08 07:51 AM Re: "Queen For A Day" [Re: gims]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Let me tell you something. From the main page, I thought the topic meant "be JJ for a day".

Nope. Did'nt get to watch it as I was away in school. Would you know what happened to those who were made Queen for A Day?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved