The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#14255 - 02/04/06 01:29 AM liver damage
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
Hello,
I have written before about my 21 year old son.
He is incarcerated for another 4 to six months for drug related charges. He has been addicted to crack cocaine since he was 16.
He also abuses alcohol or any other drugs he can get his hands on.
While in jail they have been testing his blood on a regular basis. Thank God he passed the aids test and does not have HIV. He does however have Hep C and they are sending him for an ultra-sound and liver biopsy. Anyone familiar with this? I am really worried as liver damage is dangerous isn't it? Just wondered if others have dealt with this situation. Because he is over 18 and in jail they don't tell me anything and don't have to so I am in the dark. At least my son is telling me some things.
I am worried as I don't know what this means to his health, can he get treatment for this? Is it curable. I'm really scared for him and have been worried for years that he was damaging his health (also worried that he would overdose) I'd appreciate any comments.
thanks,
Katebc

#14256 - 02/04/06 01:46 AM Re: liver damage
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Kate, there are different degrees of Hep C. Do you know what level he has?

They will give him meds to try and put him into remission so it's probably a good thing he's in jail and doesn't have to pay for them. Sometimes the meds work and sometimes they don't but he will be very, very ill while he's on them.

My good friend has Hep C (the worse level) and has been non-responsive to the meds so she up for a new clinical trial to see if these will work. She had to go on full disability because she was too sick to work.

The liver and Hep C are all connected. Is there a cure? I don't know but I don't think so. It can just go into remission.

Sorry about this.

#14257 - 02/04/06 01:59 AM Re: liver damage
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
katebcca, I am so sorry to hear this about your son. Substance abuse is such a heart break. I recently lost my brother (he was 57) due to liver damage. He had been walking around with Hep C for years, which can lie dormant. By the time they dsicovered that his liver was in bad shape, it was too late. He started at age 16 with heroin and barbiturates. He had been on methadone for at least 35 years, which is also a drug and will damage the liver. Your son is still very young and his liver may not be that bad. A friend of mine is an alcoholic. He's 47 and has been drinking heavily, on and off, since the age of 16 and his liver seems to be be in good shape.
Keep bugging them at the prison and make sure they keep you informed. He is still your son.
I will pray for him and for you.
Peace and (((HUGS)))

#14258 - 02/04/06 05:50 AM Re: liver damage
ladybug Offline

Kate, I'm so sorry to hear of this added worry.

As Bluebird said, your son is young so hopefully his liver is not yet beyond repair. Actually him being in jail is a blessing because he's not able to use drugs and alcohol right now. He needs this drying out period.

You can probably find out about Hep C on-line.

I wish you and your son the very best. Please keep us informed.

(((( HUGS ))))

#14259 - 02/04/06 06:02 AM Re: liver damage
ladybug Offline

Just found a good question and answer website on hepatitis c.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatitis/c/faq.htm#1

#14260 - 02/06/06 10:39 PM Re: liver damage
katebcca Offline

Thanks everyone, my computer is in getting fixed so I am responding from work which is not a great idea but will check in periodically. I have asked me son to have the doctor send me a report as I need his permission. If he gives it, I will no more about what is going on, but it is up to him. He is usually fairly good about this.
Will update when I can.
Thanks for the prayers and Ladybug I will check out the link thanks.
Kate

#14261 - 02/06/06 11:02 PM Re: liver damage
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
KAte, you and your son are in my thoughts and prayers.

I doubt that he has liver damage yet because he is so young. I would bet there is something they can do to help him with the Hep. C. Otherwise, what good would it do to be diagnosed/

I'm praying someone speaks to his heart about a relationship with Christ while he is in jail. It may be perfect timing. I hope you don't mind my prayer.

#14262 - 02/08/06 03:47 AM Re: liver damage
katebcca Offline

Thank you Dotsie, all prayers are welcomed. Funny enough you should say that because as soon as my son wakes up in jail finally sober, he seeks out the pastor.
God is working on him, it just takes a little longer for some.
kate

#14263 - 02/08/06 03:53 AM Re: liver damage
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Oh Kate, that is wonderful! I wish my kids would look for God after their mistakes...I keep praying, like St. Monica did for her son, St. Augustine. He was a major bad boy, but his mom prayed and cried for years.
I will keep you and your son in my prayers.

#14264 - 02/11/06 04:18 AM Re: liver damage
XBWS Offline

Loc: Guilford, CT
Kate,

Our son ran into some trouble that landed in jail for a few months when he was 19. We got him to give us Power of Attorney. We had rights to everything and still do since he hasn't removed our rights. Thank goodness because he has still managed to get himself into trouble one way or another.

See if your son is willing you grant you this right. Then at least you will not have any problems getting a hold of his medical records and discussing his condition with his doctor on his behalf.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved