The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 167 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#141583 - 02/09/08 06:38 PM Are we ever too old to care how we look?
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I don't think so. Throughout my life I have met women of all ages who present themselves lovely at various ages.

For example: When I was young, in my young 20s, I had a best friend whose grandmother was in the hospital and not expected to get out. We used to visit Beatrice once a week.
She was beautiful! She used to have her the greatest bed jackets on and her long gray hair would be lying all over the pillow. She wore a mim. of face make up and her lines were the kind that accent beauty. We would love to visit her in her room and help her comb her long gray hair. She had nice things from her home in her room and they were all very sweet like her favorite perfume and a room spray in the most beautiful decanter. She'd ask us to straighten this or straighten that and we loved doing it.

She was always amused by what we were wearing as we were her. She got a great kick out of the younger style of dress that one can only keep up when they are really young.

Have you ever known an older woman of beauty and style? It comes from inside and out. It is not what she looked like on the outside alone, it was the kindness and sheer joy she took in beauty, whether it was the written word in the classics by her bedside, or the lovely bed frock she put on that day instead of a hospital gown. I learned a lot from Beatrice. I learned that beauty never goes away, it changes, but it does not go away.

dancer

"Question your privilege"

#141584 - 02/09/08 10:15 PM Re: Are we ever too old to care how we look? [Re: dancer9]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
You ask: "Are we ever too old to care how we look?"
I think, 'no.'
But, our ideas constituting the 'care how we look' can change with age and/or life circumstances.

Being clean is caring about ourselves.
Being groomed is caring about ourselves.
Now, this is just my opinion, but fashion wear, hairstyles, nailpolish, bling, etc. is add-on, not necessarily necessary.
I know several older women of beauty and style. One of them wears no makeup, doesn't color her hair, wears no jewelry, and has a low budget wardrobe... but, she shines beautifully for everyone that knows her.

#141585 - 02/09/08 10:29 PM Re: Are we ever too old to care how we look? [Re: gims]
dancer9 Offline

I agree, Gimster, for some it's not needed, or something they put any value on after a certain age. Myself, if I do not have my finger nails done, I feel "dirty," and I can say the same for my 70 plus mother! Although my mother may not wear a full face of make up, she will still care that there is some color in her face and that her lips have a dash of light color! She was a "hippie," in her life, but still has those things that she holds dear regarding how she looks that she keeps for herself.
It is the same with clothing. She does not wear the jeans she wore when I was a child but she does care what color her "pajama," type cloting is and takes great care to get colors she feels are "her."
In fact, she told me last that she had to wear a blue top out because that was how "they know me," meaning she always wore SOMETHING blue and many in a city of over 1 million will notice if she is not wearing her blue.

It tells me she cares and it shows me style. I do not think my mother who is larely a thinking person is wrapped up in her "look," but she does care.

dancer

#141586 - 02/09/08 11:42 PM Re: Are we ever too old to care how we look? [Re: dancer9]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
We are never too old to care how we look. I finally got a haircut that was desperately needed for over 1 month. I saw shiny white thingys that needed to be covered, too, so I threw some color on after the cut.

I know I feel better when I think my clothes look good/when I feel good in the clothes I wear . Not sure what others think. I don't care for my work shirts(theirs) so I don't feel the best I can at work. I have to buy some new pants for work, but haven't felt well enough to go shopping. I'll get there.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#141587 - 02/09/08 11:46 PM Re: Are we ever too old to care how we look? [Re: Saundra]
Saundra Offline

Dancer, I'm looking for the post you did about skin care and can't find it. Can you help?

#141588 - 02/09/08 11:52 PM Re: Are we ever too old to care how we look? [Re: Saundra]
dancer9 Offline

Sure, I'll try to find it...
Dancer

#141589 - 02/10/08 12:01 AM Re: Are we ever too old to care how we look? [Re: Saundra]
dancer9 Offline

Saundra,
These two topics went to skin care after the discussion on the topic. If I can answer a question, just let me know!
Dancer

#141590 - 02/10/08 12:28 AM Re: Are we ever too old to care how we look? [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Dancer I love the new picture. Is that some sort of rose behind you? Outstanding! I have to agree with what has been said. My mon is 87 and wears little or no makep, never did but she will 'not' go a week without her trip to the beauty shop for a pedicure and to have her silver white hair styled. She says manicures hurt so puts clear polish on herself. Even since she retired last April she still goes, says "hey I'm not dead yet, am I?" You gotta love her...

Edited by chatty lady (02/10/08 12:29 AM)

#141591 - 02/10/08 12:31 AM Re: Are we ever too old to care how we look? [Re: chatty lady]
dancer9 Offline

Now she, Chatty, is a woman after my own heart!
Bless her!
Dancer

#141592 - 02/10/08 12:31 AM Re: Are we ever too old to care how we look? [Re: chatty lady]
Saundra Offline

D, I'm looking for the types of skin care, from most expensive to least expensive. Oh, just tell me the least expenive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved