The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#140545 - 02/01/08 10:29 PM Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Do you remember the dress/gown you wore to your senior prom? What was the style? Color? Did you wear a tiara? anyone want to post prom pictures?

Mine was truly a one-of-a-kind. I had been a junior bridesmaid in my aun't wedding a fe years before that. My grandmother saved the dress. It still fit me in high school. We had it altered slightly so it didn't look like a bridesmaids dress. It was long, pink, lacey on the top and satin on the bottom. It was one of those that just went way out because I had a hoop on under it. I work long white gloves, a white bunny fur, my hair up in big curls and a tiara. Didn't it make you feel special?

#140546 - 02/01/08 11:55 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Louisa]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
i looked for a picture but couldn't find one However, the dress is still in my closet and fit until 5 years ago. (Going up to look at it...)

(Brought it down to the computer! )

Full-length, thin chiffon-like material in pale aqua over an opaque aqua slip. Pattern that could be called (VERY) abstract flowers or leaves in darker turquoise, lime-citron splotches, and fewer splotches in mid-light green. It looks like a painted watercolor and is very pretty and bright.

Empire waistband in satin turquoise. Matching big satin turquoise bow that pins on in back with a full-length narrow train that matches the rest of the dress. Sleeveless and scoop-necked.

My boyfriend was only an inch taller than me, so I probably wore low heels.

Poet and essayist

#140547 - 02/02/08 12:00 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: meredithbead]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I just remembered: full-length citron-lime gloves.
My hair was long and pinned up in back, with bangs. I had a braided crown hair piece that sat on top with the aid of bobby pins.

I'm sure I still have the hair piece way back in some closet somewhere!

Poet and essayist

#140548 - 02/02/08 12:36 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: meredithbead]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Oh, girls I do remember my Prom dress it was Pink and what they called in the "60's" A Line with a satin train on it and I still have it in the closet here in the house . I don't think I can get into it though , but do have a picture to post . Oh, I did have white gloves and a white.
handbag and still have the evening bag also.

I had my hair in a french twist I think we called then . Oh, girls your dresses sound so pretty .

I remember mom only paid $30.00 for my dress in the 60's . Oh, what nice memories .

Renee

#140549 - 02/02/08 01:12 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Sadie]
Louisa Offline

Meredith, my date was actually shorter than me and I'm short. I was supposed to go to the prom with my high school sweetheart (first husband) but we had broken up. So I asked a boy who had graduated the year before. He was so excited that he even put lifts in his shoes, but I wore heels so I was taller.

I can't believe your girs still have your gowns. I wish I had mine. Not that it would fit.

#140550 - 02/02/08 03:26 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Louisa]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
What prom? What boyfriend? I love vintage clothing and would love to see the gowns and accessorries. Can you believe clothing we wore is vintage and retro? I think I have my love beads and buffalo sandals from the 60s or a mini skirt and peasant blouse. These days I'd really enjoy having an occasion to dress up. No heels, of course, my feet have "matured."

Edited by Princess Lenora (02/02/08 03:28 AM)

#140551 - 02/02/08 04:06 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Princess Lenora]
Sadie Offline

Okay, Princess and Lousia , guess I will have to send you a picture of me in my pink prom dress and the long white gloves that my mother took of me on my way to the Senior Prom . I had to ask the fellow across the street from me .to go to the prom with me .

Don't know how to post it on the site .

Renee

#140552 - 02/02/08 06:47 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Sadie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I never went to the prom. just one of the people who decorated the gym...helped make cherry blossoms tied to trees, did murals..

Like no kidding, some gals did wear kimonos for the prom...this is in Ontario.

I actually did not get this 'prom-like' feeliing until I attended a wedding this past summer in a black strapless dress with triple fine satin ribbon row finishes around bodice and on skirt hem. Yes...at age 48 yr. Gee....guess it's never too late.

I'm not whether to feel pathetic or thrilled. Seems like I do lots of stuff late in life....

#140553 - 02/02/08 08:55 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Renee, if you email me your picture, I can post it on the site for you. I wore a pink dress too! Wouldn't it be funny if we wore the same kind. I'm going to dig up a picture of me and post it.
Meredith your dress sounds just like you, colorful and bright.

#140554 - 02/02/08 12:38 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Edelweiss]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I am so determined to find the photos of my 2 proms and post them....stay tuned....

#140555 - 02/02/08 02:11 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: ladyjane]
Louisa Offline

Okay, I'll dig up one of mine too. Orchid, your post made me think of something I hadn't thought of when I posted this. I work in a 180-bed nursing/rehab facility. Twice, we have had an event for the residents that has been one of the most enjoyable for them. A Prom Night. When we do this, we decorate our big activity room, hire a 3 piece jazz band with a singer, have little pastries and punch and some of the staff (like me) who are not usually at events go to it. A local tuxedo store donates the use of tuxedos for the men and family members bing in and donate gowns for the women. They get dressed up, do their hair and make-up. To see them enjoying it is heart-warming. Who knows the memories it conjurs up? The ones who can, dance. We even vote on a King and Queen and her court. If I could post a picture I would, but I can't post any pictures that a resident is in and I think they must be in all I have. So, Orchid, it never is too late.

#140556 - 02/02/08 02:37 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Louisa]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Louisa,
I just went to your luvs2write.com link. I've been told I look like Susan Lucci; I don't see it myself. Not because of that, but I'm a big fan of hers. And I love Disney! I've never seen so much creativity as the Disney people develop.
It truly amazes me! My senior prom gown was white and strapless and the top had sequins. It had a full skirt, with a lacy overlay and a puffy petticoat. I think the length was mid-calf.
That was fun!!!

#140557 - 02/02/08 03:42 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: jabber]
Edelweiss Offline

I found my pictures!!! Yahoo!!! I couldn't decide which one to post...so you can see four of them when you click on the link. Before you do that, I want to tell you a little background story.

My prom night 1967...
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l104/Hannelore_01/?action=view&current=9886a5e6.pbw

My date was a good friend, Tony. He jumped in to take me out because my “real “ boyfriend was not accepted by my parents. That is actually a long sad story, in which I still wonder sometimes if they had accepted my big love at that time, how my life would have been.

I have learned though, from my parents mistake, (which meanwhile my mother has admitted, and I have forgiven her). And that is, I made a point of accepting every girl friend, fiancé and or wife of my sons with an open heart. That kind of heartbreak I would never ever do to my own children.

But I’m getting off the subject...

Tony, didn’t have a date either. So we spent the night dancing away. It was still a fun time. Lots of laughter and being with friends. I’m so grateful to Tony for having made it possible for me.

Hopefully I'm not the only one posting pictures here! Can't wait to see yours!

#140558 - 02/02/08 03:53 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: jabber]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I remember mine for sure. I dated a guy named Bo and he was so cute, in my opinion. AnyHOO, I had my hair done that day and it was in one of those behive things. I got home and hated it. I washed it out and did my own hair.

My dress was a white something or other, with a lace overlay, an empire waist and one turquoise band around the midrif. I loved that dress. It was simple. Wish I still had it. No...I wish I thought I could fit into it.

I'm like LJ, I'm going to find the pic and post it, if I can.

#140559 - 02/02/08 04:02 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Louisa]
Louisa Offline

since I started this, I will be the first to post a photo. I have one standing up, but it's not clear. I'll try that one too.

#140560 - 02/02/08 04:04 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Louisa]
Louisa Offline

With my Gypsy Rose Lee Gloves I didn't know how to make it smaller. Check out the tv in the background.

#140561 - 02/02/08 04:08 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Louisa]
Louisa Offline

Hannelore beat me to it. How sweet those pictures are, Hannelore! This is fun. Did we have the same bunny fur?
Jabber, try my blog if you like Susan Lucci and Disney. There is a disney slide show of my recent Nov. trip and she's on it.

#140562 - 02/02/08 04:20 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Louisa]
Mountain Ash Offline

We did not have proms. Nearest was watching the Fonz.I truly believe this must have been a magical time for everyone.Mothers having fun and Fathers seeing such beautiful daughters.
Keep posting everyone I am enjoying this post.
MA

#140563 - 02/02/08 04:31 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Mountain Ash]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh girls! How lovely you are! OMGosh...you are downright beautiful! I must find mine now...not because I am beautiful...what a hoot, no way! But it is fun, fun, fun to see the photos. By the way, get Tony's number...what a hunk!

#140564 - 02/02/08 04:58 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: jawjaw]
ladyjane Offline

Oh you guys!!!!! Hannelore and Louisa, how that took me back (even though they were your pics!!) Both so sweet and beautiful....what a time of life it was and such beautiful pictures...oh gosh, I'll get mine when I can locate them in this disrupted time of life!

#140565 - 02/02/08 06:06 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: ladyjane]
Princess Lenora Offline

You girls are so cute. JJ, did you say you are not beautiful? What? I've seen your professional photo, and you are a movie star. There was an Estee Lauder ad in the early seventies of a model with an empire waist dress with a broad turquoise band. I kept a picture of that dress because I loved it so.

#140566 - 02/02/08 06:24 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Princess Lenora]
Edelweiss Offline

What a riout Louisa, I think we had the same bunny fur! Now your dress is just beautiful, and you look so petite and pretty; like a southern bell.
I know you all looked beautiful. Everyone looked beautiful on their prom night. How slender we were then, and I could eat all I wanted to and not gain a pound. I actually ate thick peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before going to bed, almost every night. Those were the days my friends!

#140567 - 02/02/08 09:09 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Edelweiss]
Sadie Offline

Thank you Hannelore for offering to post my picture that was so very sweet of you and I love your picture of yours too. I already scanned my picture and sent it off to Lousia to post on here for me . When she gets home tonight . Can't wait for you all to see skinny me . LOL This is so much fun !
My picture of me going to the class of 1966 Senior Prom ....

Renee

Edited by Renee (02/02/08 09:13 PM)

#140568 - 02/02/08 09:25 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Sadie]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Because of circumstances, I didn't go to my prom. I could post my senior picture, tho... or, my yearbook coronation picture, or my pageant picture (yuk!). Everyone should post a baby picture and a senior picture. This is fun...

#140569 - 02/02/08 09:28 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: gims]
Edelweiss Offline

Oh yes Gimster, and anyone else who doesn't have prom pictures, we would just love to see you in the prime of your life! More! more! more!

#140570 - 02/03/08 02:40 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Sadie]
Louisa Offline

Here is Renee's Prom Picture. Isn't she lovely? Also had the long white gloves.

Sure Gimster. Post your yearbook one or whatever you like if you don't have a prom one. Baby pics would be fun too when we run out of our glamour shots

#140571 - 02/03/08 02:47 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Louisa]
gims Offline

OK here is my senior pic... the most accessible... http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/mssr7/?action=view&current=monaA2.jpg

If I had gone to prom, I hope I would have looked as good as the rest of you beauties!

#140572 - 02/03/08 03:24 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: gims]
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh gosh, my prom was on April Fools at a castle in Zeist, Holland -- I rented a tux along w/ some other gals as a prank!

#140573 - 02/03/08 03:24 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: gims]
Princess Lenora Offline

OMG Gimster. What a beauty! Your picture stayed so sharp after all these years. I mean, during the last couple of years. Renee, you look like you are in the gown segment of the Miss America Pageant! The feeling that I get looking at these pictures of you all is like I knew you already. (I was thinking about using a baby picture for my "avatar" here, but I don't know how to get it on here.)

Edited by Princess Lenora (02/03/08 03:27 AM)

#140574 - 02/03/08 06:42 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Princess Lenora]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I love all these pictures! So many memories Louisa, that dress was bigger than you were And everyone looked so ...young!

Speaking of which... I found my baby pictures. All 40,000 of them. Did I mention that I was the first-born?

Poet and essayist

#140575 - 02/03/08 12:32 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: meredithbead]
ladyjane Offline

Oh you beautiful girls! What memories it evokes for me and I'm sure everyone else! What a fun thread and I also like the idea of sharing baby and little girl pics. I still haven't had success in locating my prom pics (but I know I have them) so more to come!!

#140576 - 02/03/08 09:04 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: ladyjane]
jabber Offline

Your pictures are beautiful! You're beautiful! Cool subject!

#140577 - 02/03/08 09:42 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: meredithbead]
Sadie Offline

Thanks Lousia for posting my picture here . Thank you princess for the kind words . This was the dress my mother at the time paid only $30.00 for. I have it in my closet now and maybe I will take a look at it again. A bet faded I guess , but still in good shape . I love all these picture and by all means post your yearbook pictures if you can't find you prom pictures . This is so much fun.
Maybe baby pictures next time . I have lots baby pictures too.

Nice trip down memory lane .

#140578 - 02/03/08 11:17 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Sadie]
Louisa Offline

This is fun. I like seeing the pictures. Meredith, the dress was always about a foot ahead of me when I walked. There is an art to walking in a dress with a hoop under. I hope those don't come back in style

#140579 - 02/04/08 01:16 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Louisa]
Sadie Offline

You know I was thinking ! Pink must have been the in color in the 60's . We all or most of us had pink that year. Meredith don't you have a picture of you in your prom dress ? It sounds so pretty . Love to see it . Please post the picture . Hope more of you post pictures .

#140580 - 02/04/08 01:20 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Sadie]
Louisa Offline

If you don't have a picture, tell us about your date

#140581 - 02/04/08 01:30 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Louisa]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

When I broke up with my boyfriend -- we had been together for a year and 1/2 -- I destroyed all the pictures of him. That includes the prom photo. Now of course I wish I had it. I could've always edited him out with photoshop!

But I was 18 and wanting to remove all traces of him, y'know?

Poet and essayist

#140582 - 02/04/08 05:28 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: meredithbead]
Edelweiss Offline

Renee you look lovely. And I think you're right ...pink seems to have been the colour. What do they wear now? A little black dress?
Gimster you were a beauty. But just want to let you know that your link isn't working anymore.

#140583 - 02/04/08 11:06 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Edelweiss]
gims Offline

HL, TY... I took it down... didn't feel comfortable with it up.

#140584 - 02/05/08 02:34 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: gims]
Princess Lenora Offline

What date?
What did I miss of Gims?

#140585 - 02/05/08 06:05 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Princess Lenora]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Gimster, I respect your decision although I probably can't understand. But if you don't want to explain, that's fine too. I'm just glad I got to see the young you!

#140586 - 02/05/08 06:26 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

I know I don't have to look at the picture, but when I do, I see so much missing. That "me" seems not to be me anymore, in a hurtful way. I know I've been down lately, and I really don't mean to bring it to the threads. I don't know where to take it, though... I have no where else to turn. I'm just thankful that you all are so gracious in letting me speak without cutting me off. I honestly don't expect replies, but the ones I get are so wonderful... who couldn't want that?
Here is a step towards "getting over it" (thank you HL, PL and MB---so very, very much!):

#140587 - 02/05/08 07:03 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Gimster, I don't presume to know the pain you've been through or what you have lost, nor would I minimize it.

All I can say is -- we've all gone through whatever we've gone through ... and if we're here to tell the story, at least that means we survived.

No, we can't change the past or make up for wasted years. And I'll speak for myself here -- I "lost" my share of years too, and the best I can do is to make the most of NOW and not waste the future.

I don't know who said it but "Today is the first day of the rest of your life."

Please don't apologize for being down or being heard or being you. You deserve to be loved.

Poet and essayist

#140588 - 02/05/08 09:04 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: meredithbead]
Edelweiss Offline

Gimster, I don’t know what I have done for you to thank me. But I do know that feeling of being lifted up and helped here in the forum. It took a long time for me to open up and show my vulnerability. As you said, just speaking without getting cut off is so wonderful.

You know when I see my old pictures; I ask myself how much of that person is me now? I may look different, but I know my inner soul is the same. My goals may be different, but the search for peace and happiness is the same. Am I wiser 40 years later? No, just more cautious and not so naive.

I think there is something very peaceful in knowing what paths my life has taken, instead of wondering and sometimes worrying what paths life will lead me on. I think it's more relaxing to be in the now than then.

When you see your picture, remember the strength you had then, recognize it as a foundation, and use it as a friend and a gift to hold on to. I agree with Meredith: “we're here to tell the story, at least that means we survived.”

You are so very precious for many of us here.

#140589 - 02/05/08 12:36 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Edelweiss]
ladyjane Offline

Ditto, Hannelore. If I look back, sometimes even a day, it's not good. When I find myself daydreaming about an unpleasant experience in my past it can pull me down and discourage. I then remind myself to "come back"...today is all I really have...you know what "they" say....the past is gone forever, today is here, tomorrow is a mystery....and yet I have some control over today and can have goals for tomorrow. And yet...yes, gims, many of us can see sadness in our old photos because we remember. But we are here now. If something still devastates us that much in this day, it's time to get hold of it and put it in its place whether it's through therapy or sheer will...just depends on the person.

#140590 - 02/05/08 09:18 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: ladyjane]
Sadie Offline

I agree with you Ladyjane . Some of the girls I went to high school did not have a good time and had some bad memories of high school and I went to an all girls school too. The boys school was across the campus . I think as we get over we mature more in our thinking the older we get or look at life a little different then we did many years ago.

Good thoughts ! So when are we going to post our baby pictures and anymore prom pictures .

Renee

#140591 - 02/05/08 10:07 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Sadie]
Dee Offline

I absolutely LOVE the pictures!!! LOVE the memories and hearing about everyone's experiences. Louisa...wow...what a beauty you are. I bet you were homecoming queen or something like that.
My dress was pink as well...a-line and empire waist. Little sleeves that curved upward and tiny polka dots all over the gown...Mamaw bought it for me. I felt like a princess...it made a 'swishing' sound when I walked.
I went with a guy I had a crush on...he'd already graduated HS but took me out of feeling sorry for me...I didn't have a boyfriend. I do remember our picture ended up in the year book but before I could buy the year book dad moved us away from the town and I never saw the yearbook and never saw our photo together. I wish I could get a copy of it but it's probably not possible anymore. Yep, dad moved me away from my school six weeks before graduating...sucked big time...but, I'll always remember going to the prom with Mike and our slow dances.

#140592 - 02/05/08 11:03 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Dee]
Louisa Offline

Thank you Dee. No I wasn't homecoming queen or queen of the prom or anything like that. You know, maybe you could get a copy of that yearbook or picture. You could join classmates.com and possibly find someone you knew who has the book and could scan it in and email it to you.

#140593 - 02/06/08 12:11 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Louisa]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Dee, could it have been the town my cousins lived in? Glencoe? (Remember we discussed it?) If so, I bet I can get a picture for you. Let me know!

#140594 - 02/06/08 12:27 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: jawjaw]
ladyjane Offline

I'm soooo irritated....I know I have those pics but over the years, so much has happened and I've moved so many times....in between marriages, etc. In my Junior year I wore yellow, in my senior year I had my gown made....lavender with pink flowers and I still have it. I will continue to search....this is nuts. My Junior year guy was my sweet boyfriend from a city highschool....the senior year guy was my husband-to-be.

#140595 - 02/06/08 01:00 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: ladyjane]
Sadie Offline

Lousia in right . I belong to classmates.com and love it you can go on free and I have found a lot of friend from my class or they have found me . Oh, LadyJane your gown for the Senior Prom sounds so lovely . Can you maybe hang the dress on the back of a closet and take a digital picture of and post it so we can see it . Just a suggestion .

Lovely

#140596 - 02/06/08 10:55 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Sadie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Strapless red silk with a slit up the back, 3 inch spiked strap heels. Hair was to the middle of my back, very blonde and had a red clasp at the back to hold the hair away from my face. Gave it to my girlfriend for her daughter to wear to a dance many years later, it was still like new...

Edited by chatty lady (02/06/08 10:57 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#140597 - 02/06/08 11:58 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Chatty, that dress sounds stunning. Bet you knocked them dead!

Poet and essayist

#140598 - 02/07/08 11:57 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: meredithbead]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh to be rich instead of beautiful OR wait that might be better to be beautiful instead of rich??? Oh he//, who cares, I'm neither, so there!
Meredith that was when I was seventeen and had no problem knocking them dead, gads how times have changed...!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#140599 - 02/09/08 05:50 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH!!!! HANNELORE...what an angel you look in your prom dress...you're so adorable!!!! I LOVE seeing your prom pictures...OH, more more more more more!!!! Hannelore...precious...just precious!!!

#140600 - 02/09/08 06:59 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Dee]
Edelweiss Offline

It is more shocking if you see the "after" pictures "first". hahah. Dee, your posts make me really laugh out LOUD!
You sweet thang you!

#140601 - 02/13/08 05:00 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Edelweiss]
Dee Offline

JJ...No, it wasn't Glencoe. It was in Durant, Oklahoma...the high school there. But, thanks for offering...anyone live near Durant Oklahoma? Nah, I didn't think so.

#140602 - 02/13/08 01:11 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Dee]
ladyjane Offline

Renee, now I can't even find the dress. I know it's packed away somewhere. I feel soooo unorganized. I guess it wasn't meant to be to find my prom pics either

#140603 - 02/14/08 03:52 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: ladyjane]
Dee Offline

LadyJane...darn...wish you could fine your dress...keep digging!!!

#165166 - 11/10/08 03:15 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Dee]
ladyjane Offline

I'm bringing this back up again because LO and BEHOLD, I DID find my prom pics! We had so much fun on this thread....remember when we also shared wedding and baby pics? I saved so many of your baby, wedding and prom photos. It was during last winter and was great entertainment, don't you think? Anyway, here I am. In the yellow was when I was 17 and a junior. Next is an awful pic (no smile)I was 18 and a senior. I edited out the guy because he became my husband of 30 years and I don't feel like looking at him at the moment, young OR old...sorry. The gown was handmade and really lavender with small pink rosebuds (lousy old photo).

#165174 - 11/10/08 03:37 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: ladyjane]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Gracious, you looked adorable. I love that little shy smile in the first shot.

The decor is so reminiscent of that era. We used the same streamers and pop-open decorations.

Who made the lavender gown?

Some of the gals in my sewing class made their prom gowns. One girl even made a suit for her boyfriend. They dated forever, so I guess he was worth all that effort.

#165178 - 11/10/08 03:58 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Dotsie]
ladyjane Offline

My sister-in-law made the lavender gown. I still have it tucked away and maybe I should take a photo of it. It would show the detail so much better. Sorry, though...can't model it now!!

#165185 - 11/10/08 04:56 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: ladyjane]
jabber Offline

I just went back through the thread to make sure I hadn't
posted and sure enough, I posted on this subject once
already. Therefore I deleted what I just typed.
Sorry, ladies. The one thing that wasn't included was:
My date's name was Dale and he had thick, curly red hair.
He was six foot tall. I saw him a few years back and he's married and three redheaded babies. Oh, well!

Edited by jabber (11/10/08 05:06 PM)

#165254 - 11/11/08 01:35 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: ladyjane]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Lady Jane, I love those pics! Back when I broke up with my high school boyfriend, I trashed most of those images as I had enough of him. I wish I had them now, I could just edit him into oblivion!

When we're young we just think, "Oh, I know what I look like..."

Poet and essayist

#165273 - 11/11/08 03:05 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: ladyjane]
Ellemm Offline

I didn't go to prom, but am thrilled that so many of you did. I had no boyfriend and you know, it wasn't acceptable to go alone. I certainly felt wistful back then, but understood that it there are no do-overs; high school is such a unique experience, isn't it? (Often that's a good thing). I did get to make dresses for my daughters for their proms and that was fun. I'm also glad to know that a lot of younger people today go in groups and don't worry so much about pairing up, so if you don't have a date it's no big deal. How nice that they can get dressed up and enjoy the evening.

#165281 - 11/11/08 03:45 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Ellemm]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
I admire anyone who sews. And sewing a prom dress is high league, in my opinion. Can you post those pictures, Ellemm?

#165285 - 11/11/08 04:23 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Edelweiss2]
Ellemm Offline

Hmmm, thanks, but that would take some serious digging. Don't hold your breath! I'll see what I come across.

#165321 - 11/11/08 10:15 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Ellemm]
gims Offline

Here I am...

As you might guess, not really... I didn't get to go to prom... this is a pic of our baby's SR prom... haven't fashions changed? and can you believe the dork that took her could coordinate his tie, but not her corsage? Something tells me he didn't know she was going to wear that shade of lipstick!

#165328 - 11/11/08 10:45 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: gims]
orchid Offline

Wow, gims.

I never went to our high school prom. I never got asked out.

So the "prom" dress thing or the "feeling" of wearing one, didn't occur until I attended my partner's son's wedding. I don't know if this link works for people, but I'm here, in a black strapless dress with tiny rows of pink ribbon trim. With a draped pink chiffony shawl around shoulders.
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=23707&page=2&highlight=black+dress
This photo was taken 2 years ago.

Edited by orchid (11/11/08 10:46 PM)

#165350 - 11/12/08 03:41 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Orchid, you look lovely in that picture. Did you sew the dress?

Poet and essayist

#165354 - 11/12/08 05:08 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

You do look extremely nice, orchid.

#165359 - 11/12/08 06:29 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: gims]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Oh gosh gims, "Putting on the Ritz" came to mind. Your daughter is stunning, and that dress is an eye catcher.

Orchid you look so pretty. You're so petite, I could carry you in my back pocket. smile

#165420 - 11/13/08 03:04 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Edelweiss2]
orchid Offline

I bought the dress on discount....it was $50.00CAN, brand-new. In all honesty, if I made it, I might have had problems, making that strapless dress fit so that it would stay up!

For inexplicable reasons, when I bought the dress I felt like a teenager when leaving the store. It must have been the "prom" feeling. smile

Every woman should experience the 'prom' or 'princess' feeling once for 1 day in her lifetime --it could be when she was 5 yrs. old or 85 yrs. old.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved