The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 131 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#140585 - 02/05/08 06:05 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Princess Lenora]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Gimster, I respect your decision although I probably can't understand. But if you don't want to explain, that's fine too. I'm just glad I got to see the young you!

#140586 - 02/05/08 06:26 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I know I don't have to look at the picture, but when I do, I see so much missing. That "me" seems not to be me anymore, in a hurtful way. I know I've been down lately, and I really don't mean to bring it to the threads. I don't know where to take it, though... I have no where else to turn. I'm just thankful that you all are so gracious in letting me speak without cutting me off. I honestly don't expect replies, but the ones I get are so wonderful... who couldn't want that?
Here is a step towards "getting over it" (thank you HL, PL and MB---so very, very much!):

#140587 - 02/05/08 07:03 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Gimster, I don't presume to know the pain you've been through or what you have lost, nor would I minimize it.

All I can say is -- we've all gone through whatever we've gone through ... and if we're here to tell the story, at least that means we survived.

No, we can't change the past or make up for wasted years. And I'll speak for myself here -- I "lost" my share of years too, and the best I can do is to make the most of NOW and not waste the future.

I don't know who said it but "Today is the first day of the rest of your life."

Please don't apologize for being down or being heard or being you. You deserve to be loved.

Poet and essayist

#140588 - 02/05/08 09:04 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: meredithbead]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Gimster, I don’t know what I have done for you to thank me. But I do know that feeling of being lifted up and helped here in the forum. It took a long time for me to open up and show my vulnerability. As you said, just speaking without getting cut off is so wonderful.

You know when I see my old pictures; I ask myself how much of that person is me now? I may look different, but I know my inner soul is the same. My goals may be different, but the search for peace and happiness is the same. Am I wiser 40 years later? No, just more cautious and not so naive.

I think there is something very peaceful in knowing what paths my life has taken, instead of wondering and sometimes worrying what paths life will lead me on. I think it's more relaxing to be in the now than then.

When you see your picture, remember the strength you had then, recognize it as a foundation, and use it as a friend and a gift to hold on to. I agree with Meredith: “we're here to tell the story, at least that means we survived.”

You are so very precious for many of us here.

#140589 - 02/05/08 12:36 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Edelweiss]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Ditto, Hannelore. If I look back, sometimes even a day, it's not good. When I find myself daydreaming about an unpleasant experience in my past it can pull me down and discourage. I then remind myself to "come back"...today is all I really have...you know what "they" say....the past is gone forever, today is here, tomorrow is a mystery....and yet I have some control over today and can have goals for tomorrow. And yet...yes, gims, many of us can see sadness in our old photos because we remember. But we are here now. If something still devastates us that much in this day, it's time to get hold of it and put it in its place whether it's through therapy or sheer will...just depends on the person.

#140590 - 02/05/08 09:18 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: ladyjane]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
I agree with you Ladyjane . Some of the girls I went to high school did not have a good time and had some bad memories of high school and I went to an all girls school too. The boys school was across the campus . I think as we get over we mature more in our thinking the older we get or look at life a little different then we did many years ago.

Good thoughts ! So when are we going to post our baby pictures and anymore prom pictures .

Renee

#140591 - 02/05/08 10:07 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Sadie]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I absolutely LOVE the pictures!!! LOVE the memories and hearing about everyone's experiences. Louisa...wow...what a beauty you are. I bet you were homecoming queen or something like that.
My dress was pink as well...a-line and empire waist. Little sleeves that curved upward and tiny polka dots all over the gown...Mamaw bought it for me. I felt like a princess...it made a 'swishing' sound when I walked.
I went with a guy I had a crush on...he'd already graduated HS but took me out of feeling sorry for me...I didn't have a boyfriend. I do remember our picture ended up in the year book but before I could buy the year book dad moved us away from the town and I never saw the yearbook and never saw our photo together. I wish I could get a copy of it but it's probably not possible anymore. Yep, dad moved me away from my school six weeks before graduating...sucked big time...but, I'll always remember going to the prom with Mike and our slow dances.

#140592 - 02/05/08 11:03 PM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Dee]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Thank you Dee. No I wasn't homecoming queen or queen of the prom or anything like that. You know, maybe you could get a copy of that yearbook or picture. You could join classmates.com and possibly find someone you knew who has the book and could scan it in and email it to you.

#140593 - 02/06/08 12:11 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: Louisa]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Dee, could it have been the town my cousins lived in? Glencoe? (Remember we discussed it?) If so, I bet I can get a picture for you. Let me know!

#140594 - 02/06/08 12:27 AM Re: Describe the gown you wore to your senior prom [Re: jawjaw]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I'm soooo irritated....I know I have those pics but over the years, so much has happened and I've moved so many times....in between marriages, etc. In my Junior year I wore yellow, in my senior year I had my gown made....lavender with pink flowers and I still have it. I will continue to search....this is nuts. My Junior year guy was my sweet boyfriend from a city highschool....the senior year guy was my husband-to-be.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved