The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#14030 - 03/01/05 10:50 PM "Smashed"
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Twice in the past few days I've read about a new book written by a gal who drank her way through high school and college. Koren Zailckas is 24 and apparently she's lucky to have lived to tell her story. I'm happy to see her book making headlines.

Her past lifestyle is a similar one lived by many young gals. Drinking is the norm on college campuses. Heck, it's the norm for high school kids. I've sat through panel discussions listening to kids spill their guts about what goes on each and every weekend and it ain't pretty.

All this drinking and drugging disgusts me. Everything is so over the top. Kids don't just drink, they get drunk over and over again. Parents know and accept it. How can that be? Especially if they live at home?

I intend to read this book. I never stop talking to my kids. They're gonna love me for reading another one of these books that reveals teens actions. But you know what? I love being informed. I won't stick my head in the sand...and I will always continue to plant the seeds in my kid's brains.

I'll post about it after I read it.

#14031 - 03/02/05 12:34 AM Re: "Smashed"
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Dotsie: I applaud you for reading and keeping informed, and most of all, for talking to your kids. [Cool] They need that reminder and they need to know we, as parents, care.

[Frown] I just learned about a 22 year old guy that got so drunk... He was found in a jaccuzzi, passed out... He had a heart attack and is still unconscious since last friday night.

They still don't know if there will be any permanent damages [Eek!] .

#14032 - 03/02/05 04:20 AM Re: "Smashed"
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Dotsie, you keep reading those books and talking to your kids. Spread the word to other parents and maybe they'll talk to their kids as well.

These kids do it to act out and get attention. Well, I think parents should put their work down and pay a little more attention to their kids.

#14033 - 03/03/05 09:22 PM Re: "Smashed"
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Vicki, your book was a winner for parents to keep informed about teens! Thanks for doing your part to educate parents.

#14034 - 03/04/05 02:15 AM Re: "Smashed"
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
The Jane Pauley show is discussing grade school children and their cocaine use! Yikes! LLL

#14035 - 03/04/05 10:40 PM Re: "Smashed"
Dotsie Offline
Founder

NOo that's really over the top.

I haven't read this book yet, but I was thinking how great it would be if it was a required text for all college freshman. After reading they could sit and discuss it. It could be life changing. So often their behavior is governed by what everyone else is doing and what they think they need to do to fit in. If they could all realize they could love one another without the alcohol and be accepted for who they are, not thei fake selves...maybe the behavior would change.

Polyanna will sign off now.

#14036 - 03/18/05 01:00 PM Re: "Smashed"
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Vicki, my daughter will be at one of two choices of Florida state colleges this year. While I don't fear that she is 'the type' do try to fit in here at home where her STRONG stance on these issues prevail, I'm scared. I fear that she's spoiled to being popular here, in her home town. I would never flat out tell her this because she's made it clear that I offend her when I even think that she'd do the typical/normal teen things.

But, aren't those the targets? The ones that don't or haven't lived on the edge? I saw this Jane Pauly show and just thanked God. I wasn't thankiing Him because my daughter or son had never tried drugs. My daughter admitted that in her freshie year, some friends had some and she tried it. She explained the experience and decided from there that it wasn't for he. I thanked Him for that.

I especially thanked Him after this JP show. I recalled my country raised self being tossed into a city world where 'weed' was the 'in' thing. I tried it too and thought it would never ever go away. Once it did, I shared with anyone that would listen that it was not for everyone. LOL! What a trip. I like control toooo much for that.

However, this could have been much worse cause see, I'd let my 'freshie' daughter drive to school that day she admitted trying it. She casually spoke of her experience, along with another friend/unauthorized passenger, of that trial drug day. She said that after they'd finished, everyone in the car (also unauthorized by me) told her that she was driving too slow.

I wasn't critical of her/their experience since they are seniors now divulging the truth. I just listened as a parent that had thanked God that 'mine' had NEVER done that.

When she told me how many other passengers had been in the car, despite the ONE I'd authorized, my insides flipped at what could've happened, like so many other stories we hear about. Bless their little souls too. Many were just experimenting, like my own child. Many never got the opp to tell me that they understood 'why' not to do drugs.

Now that high school peer pressure is over, I really fear what's out there; GROWN UP PEER PRESSURE. While I'd like to believe that her experience, however mild it was, was a lesson, it may well be a curse since she didn't experience what really could have happened.

Just for the record, those very students that experimented with drugs that 'freshie' influential day, have gone on to have a baby, one jailed, and one dropped out because they continued. One was safe at home telling her story long side my daughter.

This epidemic is sooo sad! I recall trying to 'fit in' and understood where she was coming from in the 'circulation' of pressure.

What do we do when we've said, shown and prayed? I guess we just keep praying and thanking Him when we find out without a tragic story behind it.

Sugaree

#14037 - 03/18/05 06:27 PM Re: "Smashed"
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Amen to your last sentence! Beautifully stated.

#14038 - 03/18/05 10:34 PM Re: "Smashed"
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
My doctor suggested that part of the problem with American children and drinking is that from the moment they first go to school the just say no campaign begins. By the time high school rolls around, they've heard the talk for years and years and are desensitized to it. In addition, because we've made alcohol this big, big deal, they are determined to try it. He said European culture has much less of a problem because if the family tradition is to share a glass of wine or a beer or a brandy at the dinner table, even the youngest children are included. Thus alcohol is not glamorous or taboo or any of that, it is simply another beverage. What do you think?

#14039 - 03/18/05 11:23 PM Re: "Smashed"
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I am confused and don't know what to think. Recently a young man in his twenties drank himself to death at a fraternity party at our state university so the university leaders banned alcohol from the entire campus.
Students now say drinking has escalated. It seems the restriction has given alcohol a mystique it didn't previously have and even the under age students are using all kinds of schemes to get it. Once they have it in their posession, they have to drink it all before returning to campus so they are drinking more and often they are drinking it in cars.

Maybe it's like prohibition when they say there was more drinking than after it was repealed. Maybe it's an Amereican thing. We just want whatever anyone tells us we can't have.

smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved