The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 132 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#139916 - 01/28/08 08:47 AM Natural cold remedies?
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe

I forgot how nasty those germs are that lurk in every corner in kindergartens. First my grandchild got a terrible cold, and of course now I have it. Good thing you can’t catch anything over internet!

I don't think I've ever had such a mean bronchitis in my life. I'm taking antibiotics...but that doesn't appease the coughing.

I’m going to the doctor’s today, but before I pump myself up with further strong medication I was wondering if any of you have had success in home made remedies for colds?

#139917 - 01/28/08 09:41 AM Re: Natural cold remedies? [Re: Edelweiss]
Mountain Ash Offline

When I started in schools boy did I get all sorts of colds and viris .Must have some imunity .Mixing with so many children is a hazzard.
But in the past four years I have had shingles and mumps.Mumps when I was finished teaching..
MA

#139918 - 01/28/08 11:01 AM Re: Natural cold remedies? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Madalyn Offline

Hannelore~This isn't a home remedy but hubby and I use "airborne" Have you heard of it? It's a tablet like an alka-seltzer, fruity and loaded with herbs, vitamins. A teacher created it. If I feel a cold coming on I take it every 3 hours. If I get a cold and take it I seem to get over it much faster. There is one old standby that works for me, homemade chicken broth..it seems to loosen that old chest congestion. Feel better soon.

Blessings
Madalyn

#139919 - 01/28/08 08:03 PM Re: Natural cold remedies? [Re: Madalyn]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
We take a spoonful of the honey in place of cough syrup, and it helps ease the cough. Horehound candy is another good thing for coughs. Garlic is good for colds too. I smash/mince a small clove really good and swallow it with a full glass of water....down the hatch! Gulp! Then of course there is the Hot Toddy drink. It will make you sleep like a baby and forget all about your cold. Hope you feel better soon!

#139920 - 01/28/08 09:24 PM Re: Natural cold remedies? [Re: Cookie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Honey is good 4 a sore throat. Watkins, Menthol Camphor ointment is a good cough suppressant. You just rub it on the outside of you, above the chest area. You know, over the throat, lungs etc. If you don't have any in house, perhaps you can order it on the Internet? It's soothing and cooling and actually works, great. Good luck.

#139921 - 01/28/08 10:03 PM Re: Natural cold remedies? [Re: jabber]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Margaretta's...if you drink enough of them, you won't give a rip if you have a cold or not. Matter of fact, I doubt you could find your nose if your life depended on it.

Course I'm not speaking from experience...just guessing.

#139922 - 01/29/08 08:43 AM Re: Natural cold remedies? [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Thanks for all the tips! I actually learned a couple of new things.

Yes Mountain Ash, looks like I have to build up my immune system again. You poor thing, you had shingles?! That is the worst ever! And then mumps as an adult must be the pits. And here I am lamenting because of bronchitis.

Cookie, never heard that with the garlic. I have heard about onions in the same way. Must work, and I will try it today. At least my breath will keep every one a safe distance from me. Good grief.

Jabber, you are right about the honey. I think it’s as good as cough syrup. And I have menthol vapour rub.

Madalyn, I never hear of “airborne”. Maybe I can order it over the internet. I think it’s so good to choose medication that’s been recommended. There is so much out there, it just confused me.

And aaah , last but not least…dear JJ. Funny, but a Margaretta sounds like a good “before to bed” drink. And then another one while in bed. And another to still those coughing spells….I’ll probably be the first one to get a hiccupping bronchitis. Eeeeeha! What a way to go.

If you have all healed me within a couple of days, then virtual flowers are on their way.

#139923 - 01/29/08 01:20 PM Re: Natural cold remedies? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
When I get laryngitis, I drink hot tea with lemon and honey. It feels so grand going down the hatch. Also, remember to drink lots of water to keep the throat moist.

#139924 - 01/29/08 02:09 PM Re: Natural cold remedies?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Grandpappy made hot toddies; straight whiskey and sugar.
His colds cleared up real fast!

#139925 - 01/30/08 12:23 AM Re: Natural cold remedies? [Re: jabber]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Rest, lots of rest... and plenty of fluids (warm water with lemon). If you can stand to do a little oil pulling, that might help draw those germs out quicker.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved