The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#13966 - 02/05/05 05:39 AM Smoking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Has anyone here ever smoked, for years then tried to quit using the over the counter or prescribed drugs?

I'm having such a hard time with this but it's killing me. I can feel it sufficating the life out of me and it's all so unfair to my daughter too.

#13967 - 02/05/05 07:36 AM Re: Smoking
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Sugaree,

Congratulations for wanting to quit! That's your first most important step.
Announcing it to the BWS world was also an important step. We will will be here for you, e-mailing, PM'ing and posting prayers and support. Just stand back and watch.
How do I know? They're doing it for me. I'm almost there.
I haven't tried any drugs,I don't think it would work for me.

chickadee

#13968 - 02/05/05 08:10 AM Re: Smoking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh Chick, not that I'm glad you're a smoker too (wouldn't wish that on anyone now that I understand it) but I'm glad to know that someone understands.

Now that I've witnessed the wars against smoking and read about all of the dangers and the culprits that targeted us despite the health risks have been divulged, I feel mad! Not just at myself for not trying harder all of these years but at the system that solicits such unethical tactics, the deceit.

I recall long ago when the first wars against tobaco started. Videos of folk using ?traches? to inhale their cigarettes was enough to stop me for the rest of the day only.

The subject forced me to recall how and why I started this repulsive behavior in the first place. In short, I was one of those teenagers they discussed as targets.

I was young, 16, staring at this strategically placed billboard dispaying a beautiful woman with her male suitor. I was working in a resturant/bar and had lied about my age so I decided to get some cigs to make me seem age appropriate like the others that smoked there.

I purchased a pack out of the vending machine. On my 30-45min break, I smoked the entire pack not knowing that I was supposed to smoke one or maybe two. Surely enough, I passed out and it was obvious that I wasn't a smoker. Probably the laugh of the week, as a matter of fact.

Shortly after that, my boyfriend, which became my husband later, came home from the service with the habit. The birth of two new life-time smokers. The only and longest times I've ever quit since then are when I was pregnant, twice. That would only be a total of two years out of 20+. How sad. That number of smoking related deaths continue to rise. Geeze!

#13969 - 02/06/05 08:27 AM Re: Smoking
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Sug,
I'm another one! Been trying to quit since the beginning of January. I'm down to about a half a pack aday. Not good enough but it's a big change from my former 2 packs a day. I haven't been really trying to get down further because my husband is on the patch and I think it best if we do it separately. I don't smoke in the house anymore. He is doing great with the patch but I know it won't work for me because I've tried it before and as soon as I drop down to the next stage I always start smoking again. The gum works for me but you have to follow their directions. I've quit 3 times for 6 months each. Don't know why I go back.

Good luck to you in quitting. We are here for you if you need to talk about it. You can PM if you like. Me and Chick have been trying to help each other too!

#13970 - 02/05/05 09:09 PM Re: Smoking
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Congratulations to all of you for working on kicking this habit! My husband is a smoker and first you have to get yourself ready to quit. Sounds like you all are there, he isn't yet.

I'll keep you in my heart and prayers.

#13971 - 02/05/05 10:19 PM Re: Smoking
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Run, don't walk to Amazon and get the book: Alan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. You won't think that it works and he tells you to keep smoking while you're reading the book but when you finish it, you will be an ex smoker. Promise. That's how I quit (I did smoke some the week end my aunt passed away). You won't go through the horrible withdrawals because you'll simply realize that smoking is no longer an option for you. When we continue to have real strong cravings, it's that monster demanding to be fed and they are also an indication that you haven't made up your mind to really quit.

I wore the patch, which he says to not do but it helped me. You can't smoke a cigarette for two hours after you remove the patch (heart attack is possible) and take it off before you go to bed because you will have terrible dreams if you don't.

It worked for me and others so I'm hoping it will for all of you too.

#13972 - 02/06/05 12:08 AM Re: Smoking
TVC15 Offline

I've never heard of that book Dianne. I'm going to try it. Thanks!

#13973 - 02/11/05 10:13 PM Re: Smoking
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
Okay I confess, I'm another one! Stopped for all my child bearing years....started again during a time of great stress. Never smoke in my house or anyone else's. Never smoke w/ my kids around or in the car or all day at work. But every morning and every evening, puff puff. I just know I'm doing myself incredible harm.

#13974 - 02/12/05 06:01 AM Re: Smoking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Kath, at least you admitted it. Good for you. With all the hoopla about smoking these days, it is very hard to admit that 'something' has that much control over you but you just cant seem to help it. I think we call this 'addiction.'

Unfortunately, admitting it, at least in this case or from my experience, is not half the battle. We have to actively pursuit our health some sort of way. Getting to that point is quite a different tune though.

Did you see one of the latest commercials against smoking where a woman is walking with her hands balled up ready to protect herself as she walks home alone? Before she goes inside, she checks to make sure no one has followed her. Once inside, she locks the doors w/chains. After she checks the mail and a few other things, she sits down, turns the tv on then lights a cigarette.

The narrator chimes in, "She's done all the things should do to protect herself from strangers. Now she needs to protect herself from herself."

Now that was well written and so powerful. But, not powerful enough for me NOT to light the next cig up at my automated time of need.

Pray for me. I will pray for you. We all just need much prayer for this demonic addiction.

[Mad] [Eek!] [Razz]

#13975 - 02/13/05 08:37 AM Re: Smoking
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

If you understand that smoking doesn't do for you, what you think it does, it helps.

It has no power to relax you.

It won't help you when you write, work, whatever but actually robs your brain of oxygen, which stalls your thinking.

Get that book, girl!!!!!!

#13976 - 02/13/05 03:04 AM Re: Smoking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dag, I don't even smoke and I think I'm goign to get that book. Maybe it will help me with my sweet addiction. I rarely go a day without something sweet. I seem to be the only one in the BWS Diet who has this problem.

#13977 - 02/13/05 03:22 AM Re: Smoking
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Go to Wal-Mart and buy some NIPs they come in Caramel and Coffee flavor. They are sugar and carb free and sooooo good. No shame eating these and they will curb you're sweet tooth.... [Roll Eyes]

#13978 - 02/14/05 07:05 PM Re: Smoking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, we have a box in our cupboard. Thanks to you!

#13979 - 02/15/05 05:46 AM Re: Smoking
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I guess they come in different verions. The Nips I buy list sugar as the first ingredient, corn syrup as #2.

#13980 - 01/01/07 04:21 PM Re: Smoking [Re: meredithbead]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
I guess I am going to revive this subject because of the fact that I need to get cracking on this.

One of the other times in my life when I quit smoking, I kept in mind that when I was born, I wasn't born with a cigarette in my mouth. When I was a child, I didn't give cigarettes a second thought and I managed to be happy. I am going to try that focus again. The more I think about it, the more unnatural it is to smoke. Then it will turn into an unwanted object on my body. Does this make sense?

I will try to look closely at others while smoking and concentrate on how unnatural it really looks. I know this sound nutty, but it worked for me before.

It is not the quitting that I have difficulty with. It is the staying quit part that I have a hard time with. It can be 6 months down the road after I quit and something irritating would happen and it triggers a craving for me to smoke again. Then I go out and buy that pack of cigarette's and try to convince myself, just this one cigarette, that's all. Yeah right!

Alright, I am hoping to revive this subject and have other's join me.

Cheers,
Cathi

#13981 - 01/01/07 04:43 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Wisdom&Life]
TVC15 Offline

Cathi,
I have the same problem. I've quit so many times and can't seem to get past 6 months. What am I doing wrong? Well, okay, putting the cigarette in my mouth is what I'm doing wrong but why can I quit but then not stick to it?

#13982 - 01/01/07 05:26 PM Re: Smoking [Re: TVC15]
Wisdom&Life Offline

That's exactly my problem. It can be the tiniest upset, then I will run to get that cigarette. You know, perhaps if we keep that in mind the next time this would happen, then we may fight the resistance to go and get that cigarette.

I am really hoping that with all the anti-smoking growing rapidly it will be easier. In other words, it wouldn't be like it has been for years, where it seems that everyone and their sister smokes all of a sudden.

It's going to be difficult when I am at work though. Many people I work with smoke. They have a decent smoking area for us. This makes it easy if you are a smoker. But, I have been practicing, I know it sounds silly. A few times, during my break, I will read a little and not go outside to smoke. It's all a matter of changing other habits as well.

I once knew a man who gave up beer in order to give up smoking because the two went hand in hand.

But that is going to be the hard part, staying quit.

Maybe if we keep in mind the freedom we will have as non-smokers and stick to that thought, it might help. I don't know about you, but everytime I have any plans or anytime someone asks me to go somewhere, the first thing that comes to mind is, can I smoke there? I would like to stop doing that.

I am going to have to get the patches though, because I have had horrible withdrawals in the past and the patches help with that. I am not kidding, my lungs start to hurt really bad.

Cheers,
Cathi

#13983 - 01/01/07 05:34 PM Re: Smoking [Re: TVC15]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Girls, I can sympathize totally with both of you. I quit every year for so many years. Then one time I realized that I was like a robber man sitting on the highway just waiting for the unsuspecting person to walk by so I could jump out and rob him. Huh? Are you wondering what I'm saying? So am I. LOL....what I mean is that in the back of my mind, my THOUGHTS were one of a person just waiting on something "bad" "upsetting" "whatever" to happen so I would have the perfect excuse to start smoking again. And I always found that excuse. Afterall, life is full of experiences, good and bad. Daily. Who knows better than the Queen of Experiences here?

My Daddy told me that when I was ready (please say those four words outloud to yourself WHEN I WAS READY), I would quit. Period. I tried arguing with him. It always seemed to me that whenever he got ready to do something, he just did it. He sat down one day and said, I'm going to learn to play the piano. He did. This was at 76 years old. That's just one thing. He also taught himself how to draw and paint. So see? Believing it was easy wasn't an option, as far as I was concerned because to me, he had some sort of "gift" for accomplishing things.

He was right. One day I just KNEW. I KNEW I was going to quit. There was no fanfare, I told no one. I simply threw the entire pack out the window of the car (litter bug)....I immediately told God that I was ready. I vowed right then and there to never have a cigerette touch my lips again. It never has.

I've never smoked one since then. I've never even had the thought of looking for an excuse. The habit was gone. Yes, I did gain weight and at the same time, Daddy contacted a fatal disease and died two years later. Mom came down with breast cancer, but survived, and I had a near-fatal car wreck breaking everything on my left side.

So see? I had plenty of stressful events, all happening at the same time, to start again. I had excuses galore. But... I was ready. When you are READY, you will quit. The six months will come and go and you won't even notice it.

I wish you success. I'm here if you need me!

#13984 - 01/01/07 05:35 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Wisdom&Life Offline

TVC,

I just noticed you live in NC. That may explain alot right there. I live in tobacco country and they haven't banned the smoking as much as they have in other states. They are getting there, but not as bad as say, New Jersey and some other states.

It all comes down to temptation, depression, and yes the fact that we put that cigarette back in our mouths. This is the first time I am preparing myself ahead of time for this. Usually when you know the root of the problem, then the healing can begin.

Here is another problem. The tobacco companies have been adding more and more nicotene in order to keep people addicted. This is why they have lost many lawsuits. I think that is really evil on their part, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I am an advocate on taking responsibility for your own actions. I was always the first one to get upset when someone would sue the tobacco company for that reason. The fact that no-one pointed a gun to our head and made us smoke. We know the risks. But it is a different story when they deliberately keep you in a prison, metaphorically speaking.

Cheers,
Cathi

#13985 - 01/01/07 05:46 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Thanks your Majesty, this time I am ready. I have had a scare and it is not for social pressure or anything. BTW, what this doctor told me wasn't recent. But I was thinking about it recently, it just popped into my head. Now it started impacting me. It wasn't my dad's situation either or else I would've done what you did right there and then.

Believe it or not, in the past I had lost weight. Not immediately, but I would lose weight starting a month later. It's because I would get used to not having to have something in my hand or in my mouth. So there wasn't a need to munch on something to replace the cigarettes while I was inside the house in between smokes outside. I hope I am making sense.

Thanks for sharing that with us. But you are right, I have quit in the past due to someone pestering me about it or society thumbing their nose at you because you were a smoker.

BTW, when I met Dotsie, I didn't smoke during our time together nor did I tell her that I did. I really had fun while having lunch with her and I wasn't smoking the entire time. But in the back of my mind, I knew I could have one later. That was how I was able to refrain from times like this. What a game.

Cheers,
Cathi

#13986 - 01/02/07 01:01 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Cathi,

I only smoked for less than 6 months in college (back in 1815!) and even then I never smoked a pack a day...usually threw them away because they got stale.

And yet, it was very hard to quit...I did some revenge smoking for a few months when I would get mad at my fiance...I quit because of him...

Other than the patches and gum and anti-depressents that are used for smoking cessation...one technique that I have read about is to spend time visualizing yourself as a non-smoker...see yourself doing all your activities without a cigarette...see yourself taking deep breaths of fresh air in and feeling wonderful...see yourself healthy, getting a great report at the doctor...see yourself managing your stress in other more positive ways...

Obviously, I read this after I quit smoking...so I don't know how good it works...but it makes a lot of sense to me...focusing on what you want!

Good luck with the move!

#13987 - 01/02/07 01:08 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Jane_Carroll]
TVC15 Offline

For me, the best way is cold turkey, just stop. The patches create another problem for me when it's time to stop using them.
The gum worked for me once because I simply switched to regular gum and tricked myself into thinking it was the nicotine gum.
I'm going to try Jane's theory, and JJ's (when I'm ready)
I'm hoping I can get myself ready soon!
I did promise my Dad, but even he said that I should do it, when I'm ready.
Wise men, our fathers!

#13988 - 01/02/07 06:11 PM Re: Smoking [Re: TVC15]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Oh I am so glad to see this topic and I totally sympathize with all of us who want to quit. I am due to see the smoking cessation clinic on Thurs to discuss motivation and Zyban...this time I am going to hit it from all angles, celtics guided hypnotherapy cds,patches and a strange mouthwash that I bought before the hols. It works on the premiss that after you swish about 5mls of it around your mouth...instantly ...the taste makes it impossible to smoke. In some respects it should not have worked on me as I have no sense of taste(just memories)....but it sure did. It was thee most foul thing!!! I will post the name of it later if anyone wants to know. That Alan Carr does a book for women and I would recommend it highly...once I got to chapter three....my heart rate would soar and I would hide the book as I knew after that I was not gonna be smoking. I have tryed so many times and have had some success.....this time I have no choice,I have chronic asthma and pulminary airways disease.... that's why I am being given Zyban. So I too am on my last legs with the fags.....I hope this will be an ongoing thread. Keep up all who are doing and trying and well done all who have suceeded.

Popea
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#13989 - 01/02/07 07:17 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Poppie]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I did not want to post until I can be sure of end results. I think I can safely do that now. My youngest sister, who came to town for the holidays, has been smoking heavily since her husband passed away late summer of last year. I am not a smoker and suffered from asthma when I was younger so, I cannot be around smokers. So, my sister would smoke in the backgarden. As no one else smokes in my family, my sister was often alone outside smoking her heart and lungs away. Then, it started to rain in London all New Year's Eve. There was no other place where she could go to for a cigarette except the backgarden. It is Day 3 for her today. Her cigarettes have been in the fridge since New Year's Eve. Don't ask me why but it is. I'm afraid to ask her in case she focuses on it and lights up again. Nevertheless, I hope Day 4 would likewise be smoke-free. Failing that, I pray for rain.

#13990 - 01/03/07 01:02 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

You girls have my full support and trust me, I know how you feel...honestly! Let me give you a glimmer of hope or maybe I should just say it's something to look forward to?

After I had ceased smoking for a few months, something strange happened. When I was within a few feet of a smoker, I could smell it. It was ULGY. I am not lying. I was flabbergasted. I can remember standing there just amazed! I can also remember saying silently to myself, "I smelled like that?" I was devastated. I begin noticing it more and more. Going into stores when people would pass by, I could smell a smoker. Since I had gained weight, I wasn't wearing the same clothes as I did when I smoked, so I can remember going to my closet and pulling out a few "skinny" clothes...PU! More of that smokey smell...old cigerettes, and the like. So I learned something from this.

I learned that THIS is what I smelled like to NON-smokers. It was a wakeup call for me. It reinforced my resolution to never smoke again and I can honestly say I have YET to regret it.

I asked several of my NON-smoking friends why on earth they EVER let me smoke in their homes or their cars knowing the smell I would leave behind. They said, "because we wanted to see you, and have you here." How lovingly, but....

So...the reason I'm telling you this is NOT to say you stink. Please don't take it that way. I'm telling you this to let you know that you will not believe the difference in the atmosphere EVERY WHERE once you quit. It's great!

Praying for all of you!

#13991 - 01/03/07 03:31 PM Re: Smoking [Re: jawjaw]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

This is a little off topic but in AZ they are trying to pass a bill where you can only smoke in your car or your own home. They are making it more difficult so maybe that would make it easier to quit. It's such a strong addiction!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#13992 - 01/03/07 03:47 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Dianne]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
In Minnesota I expect to see a state-wide ban on smoking by this time next year. They are even thinking about making parks no smoking.

I originally quit smoking because of laws that would not allow smoking in schools - and I was working in schools. I quit for 10 years and then one day, started smoking again. This is my year to quit, again and permanently, I just have not picked the date yet.

I remember smelling other people too, JJ. It was amazing. Thanks for the reminder, it is one more piece of motivation.

Good luck Popea - it sounds like a good choice to quit sooner rather than later. Wishing you the best.

#13993 - 01/04/07 02:38 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Anno]
TVC15 Offline

That smell is definitely a good reason to quit. When I quit I noticed it too but when I wanted to start up again, it started to smell good to me. Weird, right?

#13994 - 01/04/07 02:45 PM Re: Smoking [Re: TVC15]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
The smell is comforting to a smoker and disgusting to a non-smoker. I don't think until you have quit for an extended period of time, that you begin to be repulsed by the smell.

Money is going to be my motivation. I am going to make a list of everything I can buy with the money I save. Then I am going to save it and actually purchase the stuff! Hmmmm. Now, just a date to quit.

#13995 - 01/04/07 02:51 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Anno]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Anno, GREAT POINT! How could I overlook the money part? Duh! The cost has gone up and up and I don't see any change for that. In Alabama, just about ALL restaurants are non-smoking and most working facilities. All Hospitals are and most of them have a designated place for smokers.

I remember right before I quit noticing that the smoking areas were smaller and smaller. I still remember the feeling I got when I would go to one of these designated places to smoke...I felt like a criminal. Isn't that awful that one should feel that way? I don't like that and would never, ever, make someone feel that way simply because they smoke! Good grief.

I remember adding up the cost and it was in the thousands that I would save each year by quitting. But in reality, it doesn't matter how much you save, what you smell like or anything else we say IF one is not ready to quit. AND...more importantly, people shouldn't forget that this IS an addiction! It's hard and people motivated to quit should be given all the support they need or request.

Amen.

#13996 - 01/04/07 09:33 PM Re: Smoking [Re: jawjaw]
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I was a heavy smoker but was able to stop overnight with each pregnacy. After my last child was born, I knew that if I returned to smoking, I would smoke till my dying day - I had already made up my mind that there would be no more babies.

DH continued to smoke for another 5 years. He had a terrible time - went to a hypnotist twice. Finally, one New Years Eve - he was working with the kids putting a model train scape together. His hand were busy and he went for hours without lighting up. That gave him the incentive to see if he could just stop 'cold turkey.' He did, but the process was not easy for him.

He is now one of those dreaded 'reformed' smokers. He cannot stand the smell of smoke. He asked me how I could stand smelling that smell on his clothes for as long as I did. After being around smokers now, he comes home and hangs his clothes in the garage - will not put them in his closet.

It is a nasty habit for sure. It's been nearly 30 years since I quit, but had a surprise during my yearly check up a few weeks ago. I'm seeing a new doctor - and was put through a ton of tests - one of which was for lung function.
Even though I'm in great shape, exercise 4/5 days a week for years - my lungs are not back 100% That was a shock.

If you can - quit. This is one habit that has absolutely NO redeeming qualities. It will kill you. I watched a friend die of lung cancer a few years ago. She never did quit. Of course, she was too far along when it was diagnosed. It's such a waste.

#13997 - 01/05/07 02:47 AM Re: Smoking [Re: browser57]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I am one of those reformed smokers. I quit when I was 26 after smoking for a decade. A lot. I actually could not stand that I smoked, but I could not stop until I stopped. Anyway, 20 years later, I was being prepped for cancer surgery: bilateral mastectomy. The anesthesiologist said, "Do you smoke?" I said I quit 20 years ago. He said, "Well, I've noticed some 'emphasematic changes." What? After 20 years of quitting I had precursors to empahsema (however you spell it.) One nasty habit with multiple consequences.

#13998 - 01/09/07 01:04 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dee Offline

What I'm about to convey is graphic in what happened so if you're the least bit queezy I would suggest skipping my post.
My smoking started when I was 24...I quit when I was pregnant with my 2nd child (didn't smoke with my first), started again the day my 2nd child was born, quit 12 years later, started again because a role I played (community theater) required I smoked and I started up again and was smoking for seven years when my step-mom called me from the hospital to say she'd been diagnosed with lung cancer...from smoking. I listened as she struggled to breathe and talk. Her life expectancy was about a year. The next day we received a call and it had been shortened to 3-6 months. The next morning I boarded a plane to be with her. She was in the hospital and was going to be sent home...to die. Her three daughters and two sons (I was a step-daughter) were shown how to administer morphine into a thing in her stomach. A hospice nurse checked on her daily but most of the time she sat her in bed at home waiting to die. My step-mom had been a bad step-mom and a day after I arrived she whispered to me how sorry she was for being such a bad step-mom. She asked my forgiveness. Each day she struggled more and more for breath but it was obvious the fluids in her lungs were winning. The day before she died I sat on her bed and watched her, never leaving her side. I washed her body with cool, wet cloths and cried silently as I watched her struggle for breath. I didn't know that night would be her last night on earth. The morning she died was horrible. She woke up once and smiled at me and said hi. I asked her if she wanted anything. She wanted a bite of doughnut and I placed a tiny piece in her mouth. She smiled at me and closed her eyes. After that she never really came back around. For several hours she continued losing the battle to breathe, fluids seeped through the pores of her skin and soaked her bed sheets, blood spots formed on the surface of her skin and I was struggling with the horrible sounds of her lungs screaming for air. Her mouth worked like a fish out of water and I prayed to God that she wasn't aware of anything. I'd never watched anyone die, much less someone I cared about. My Aunt had seen this before and I asked her how much worse it was going to get...she looked at me and said, "worse." I didn't know how it could get worse but it did. I prayed for God to end it. My sister and I sat on her bed and at some point we whispered for her to let go. Not five minutes later she did and I was shocked and numbed at what I'd witnessed. From the day I arrived (on a Sunday) it took her six days to die. She was only 55 years of age. Watching my step-mom die made me quit cold turkey. I told myself my children would never have to watch or listen to me dying like that. I have never picked up another cigarette and know I never will. I truly believe my step-mom saved my life. Three months later my dad died from his smoking (his heart exploded) and he'd been suffering with emphasema and another type of lung ailment. My half sister died at 49 from lung cancer. Anyone who has to watch someone die from that self imposed death sentence would never, ever pick up another cigarette...or one would hope.

#14000 - 01/09/07 01:48 AM Re: Smoking [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dee, I witnessed my mother's death to lung cancer. It was horrendous. She smoked for twenty-plus, almost thirty years. She quit in her 50s but she still died of lung cancer. I'm sorry you had to witness that, but I am grateful it made you quit your habit.

Anee, you are wise to quit too. I like your mention of how you felt when you lit up. I wish more people felt that way.

#14001 - 01/09/07 03:54 AM Re: Smoking
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Dotsie, were you surrounded by second hand smoke like I was? My dad smoked for many years, and died of complications/heart problems brought on by pulmonary fibrosis. Our family is actually part of a medical study at Duke University on pulmonary fibrosis, since so many members of my dad's family had/have the problem.

I hope I can avoid that, it's a horrible way to live your last months, gasping for breath.

#14002 - 01/09/07 04:04 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dee Offline

Dear Anne...I would never presume to know how anyone else will be at the hands of this terrible, terrible way to lose one's life...I am sorry to hear about your Mother and my prayers will be with you and your family.
Dotsie...you and I have something in common, as sad as that is...and I understand what you went through and sympathize with you. I remember how cool I thought I looked with that cancer stick stuck in my mouth...how foolish smokers are, especially in this day and age, to think they lead anywhere but to the grave or oxygen tank.

#14003 - 01/09/07 04:39 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Dee]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I was never a smoker. I tried a few times when I was a kid, but was afraid of lighting a match, so that sort of kept me away from it. My ex smoked from the age of 12. He was up to about 4 packs of Lucky Strikes a day. He had a bad accident with a skillsaw one day at work and for some reason, I think being in the hospital for a short time and not being able to, he quit smoking - cold turkey. Less than 2 years later, he died of lung cancer at the age of 53. In Dec., he had danced at our daughter's wedding. There was no evidence of illness. In March, he got sick with what seemed like a bad cold or flu. He became very hoarse and didn't seem to be getting better. My daughter told him to go to the doctor. He was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and scheduled for chemo and radiation. He made it to our sons birthday party at the end of April, began the chemo by the 1st of May. He couldn't understand why this was happening because he "had quit smoking." The damage had already been done, of course. He died in the middle of August. None of us expected it to be that fast. He died at home and was on Hospice care at the end. The kids were with him. I had been there earlier myself. I used to tell him that he was going to kill me with his second hand smoke. I still get angry when I think of how every time I bought him any kind of t-shirt, it had to have a pocket for those stupid cigarettes and all the times he would "be out of cigarettes" and I'd have to run to the store and get him some and how I was supposed to remember to throw an extra pack in my bag when we went out at night. (Even though he was the smoker, I was supposed to remember to bring them.) I should have "forgotten" once in a while.

I, too, would like to think people who watch this would never, ever smoke again. Working in a healthcare facility, it never ceases to amaze when I see people who see this stuff all the time smoke, but they do.

#14004 - 01/09/07 02:49 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Louisa]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Lung cancer is definitely becoming more and more rampant, and about the same age group. There is no guarantee that if one stops smoking now that they will not get lung cancer later. Many have ended up with lung cancer after several years of not smoking anymore. But, that doesn't mean it will happen to everybody that quits. Nor is it an excuse to keep smoking. There are many benefits to not smoking. I have high blood pressure and in the past few years, I have had a really hard time keeping it down. The last time I went for a physical, the reading was 185 over 150. The nurse told me that if I am not careful, I am going to end up having a stroke. Of course, I went and had a few follow ups after that to adjust some of my medication. But the risk is definitely there. I really need to be able to handle stress so much better than I do now. Of course, I would love to eliminate it, but it seems to follow me no matter what I do. Does anyone recommend any web-site or book for learning how to work on ones coping skills?

Cheers,
Cathi

#14005 - 01/10/07 12:00 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Dee Offline

Louisa...I hope you don't continue to feel guilty...we've all bought cigarettes who had a partner who smoked. I can remember when I was a kid buying cigarettes for my step-mom...I was only about 11 or so but she'd give me money and send me to the store. Of course today that could not happen. When a person wants to smoke they're going to find a way...I know...I've been there. You're hunan like the rest of us and even if you hadn't bought any cigarettes for your ex, he would have smoked anyway.

Optimum...I'm sorry I don't know any books or sites to guide you to concerning your situation. My sister swears by Yoga. I'm sure the ladies here will be able to guide you...I'm sorry. Good luck.

Hugs,

Dee

#14006 - 01/10/07 12:24 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Dee]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Dee, I don't really feel guilty about it but sometimes I think maybe I should have tried harder to make him quit. He tried a couple of times and quit for a while, but his disposition was terrible. Then when he did quit, he just quit all at once. I really enjoy going to smoke-free places now. I hate going somewhere and having my clothes smell of smoke. Now, the restaurants here are all smoke-free. It's great.

#14007 - 01/10/07 04:58 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Louisa]
Dee Offline

I know what you mean about being in smoke-free areas. I hate going into a store behind a smoker....I never realized how bad that stuff smelled until I quit...eeeegads, it's horrible. We go to a small-town cafe and believe it or not there's still a smoking section...but, there's not that many booths...when the smokers are in there I try to avoid the place despite how good the food is.

#14008 - 01/11/07 04:42 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Dee]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I'm so glad most indoor places in California have been smoke-free for at least 10 years. It's nice to come home and not have to immediately put my clothing in a plastic bag to keep it from reeking through the rest of the house.

Poet and essayist

#14010 - 01/13/07 10:16 PM Re: Smoking [Re: ]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

In AZ, it depends on which county you live in. It's strange at their airport. At one terminal, you can still smoke in the restaurant/bar but the rest of the airport is smoke free.

At the tribal casino here, it is all smoking except for a small non-smoking area for slots. I would think the smoke would still drift into that area.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#14011 - 01/13/07 10:23 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Dianne]
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
My daughter is going to try hypno-therapy to stop smoking I've met a really wonderful woman who does this - it should be interesting. She actually guarantees it for lifetime.

She is also going to work with me for weight-loss.

danita

Edited by Danita (01/13/07 10:24 PM)

My most recent story for my mom:
http://www.heritagemakers.com/projectBro...tSponsor=384221

#14012 - 01/20/07 02:31 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Danita]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXl0nTjcrzs

Hope this works for you. It's so funny.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#14013 - 01/20/07 05:57 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Dianne]
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
My daughter is trying to stop smoking. I may not survive.

smile

#14014 - 01/22/07 12:28 AM Re: Smoking [Re: smilinize]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Smile, get some of the nicotine gum for her. It worked wonders for a friend.

#14015 - 01/23/07 07:49 PM Re: Smoking
bonnierae Offline

Quote:

Has anyone here ever smoked, for years then tried to quit using the over the counter or prescribed drugs?

I'm having such a hard time with this but it's killing me. I can feel it sufficating the life out of me and it's all so unfair to my daughter too.

A good friend of ours stopped smoking relatively easy using the prescription drug Zyban. His wife continued to smoke while he was quitting and he was still able to resist snitching any of hers. She then went on Zyban and quit as well. Might be worth speaking to your Dr about

Good Luck and you can do it.

Bonnie

#14016 - 01/23/07 07:51 PM Smoked 4, 25 years...Re: Smoking
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Sugaree,
I started smoking out behind the barn when I was a kid. I tried to quit 14 times. Finally, in 1984, I succeeded. As you can see I've been off them--March 4th, it'll be 23 years. But it took hypnosis to do it!!! One session, and I threw the cigs away and never restarted. Good luck. Keep trying. Don't ever stop trying to quit!!!
Ciao for now,
B. Rose

Edited by bonnierose333 (01/23/07 08:24 PM)

#14017 - 01/24/07 02:04 AM Re: Smoking [Re: bonnierae]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Nothing helps like visuals...

#14018 - 01/24/07 02:45 AM Re: Smoking [Re: gims]
Anonymous
Unregistered

My state capital has proposed a no-smoking city ordinance, of which I agree. I simply just don't get it, for instance workers get more smoke breaks, while non-smokers pick up the slack. Also, non-smokers are getting lung cancer. My grandmother died a young sixty of lung complications, we could have enjoyed her another 20+ years, as she could her grandchildren and great grandchildren. Also, I can't help to worry about the lost time, but the money, does the cost of smoking outweigh the cost of a life? Please excuse my preachyness!

#14019 - 01/24/07 02:36 PM Yuck...Wow...Re: Smoking [Re: ]
jabber Offline

gimster,
Those are stomach-turning pictures you got there!!!
If they don't do the trick, nothing will.
Ciao for now,
B. Rose

#14020 - 01/28/07 08:37 PM Another way... [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Here's food for thought. A couple years ago, I had acupuncture to help curb some harsh lower limb pain. There were people at that doctor's office using acupuncture as a method to help them kick the smoking habit. Just thought I'd pass that on, in-case there are those who hadn't thought along those lines. Whatever works. Use it.
Prayers 'n blessings,
B. Rose

#14021 - 01/29/07 02:20 PM Re: Another way... [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Those pictures are absolutely awful. Thanks for sharing them. WOW! I haven't seen anything like that in years. Isn't it sad what we do to ourselves?

#14022 - 02/17/07 05:08 PM Re: Another way...
Sugaree Offline

Wow, Gimster, thanks for sharing those. I'm a victim of the addiction and it is really heart wrenching in addition to heart killing to see what my addiction is doing to me. Wow! Pray for me, please, as I attempt, yet again, to gain control of a chemical addiction that has its' deepest vices in my lungs, literally.

#14023 - 02/20/07 01:20 PM Re: Another way... [Re: Sugaree]
EvilTwin Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Smoking is a horrible, horrible addiction. I know. I've been smoking for around 35 years, having started at the age of 12 or 13. I've managed to quit three times (once for 8 months and twice for 3 months), and am in the process of trying to begin the process again. I just can't seem to get started this time. It's a love/hate relationship with me. I love to smoke/I hate to smoke. I think part of me is also scared that if I do quit, I'll end up with lung cancer shortly afterwards. I know that makes no sense, but that's part of my problem with it.

I've also learned how powerful of an addiction it really is. Nobody in their right mind other than an addict would continue to smoke after what I've been through. At the age of 28 and approximately two years later, I suffered spontaneous lung collapses (pneumothorax) of my left lung. The second time it happened, I required lung surgery where they cauterized all the holes in my lung and moved my lung over (pleurectomy and thoracotomy). Did I quit? No. Tell me that's not addiction.

Honestly, for the most part, I'm very happy with who I am and what I've become -- but my biggest frustration with myself is my seeming inability to conquer my health and fitness concerns. Perhaps "conquer" isn't the correct word, because I can't even begin -- which is what landed me at this forum to begin with -- I was looking for a coach or SOMETHING in my area to get me motivated to make real changes in my life in that department.

My mother was a heavy smoker and was diagnosed with emphysema approximately three years ago. She quit cold turkey. I really admire her and the changes she has made in her life, but at the same time -- it makes me feel worse that I can't seem to get going in the right direction. Ugh.

Perhaps we need a smokers anonymous group here -- where we can all choose a quit date and be accountable and available to each other. I don't know. I'm running out of ideas with this.

EvilTwin a/k/a Judy

http://www.alifescapesphoto.com

#14024 - 02/20/07 01:34 PM Re: Another way... [Re: EvilTwin]
EvilTwin Offline

I just found a poem I wrote in the fifth day of my second quit attempt. If it's okay, I would love to post it here. Perhaps it might help somebody. If this isn't a good place to post it, please point me to where would be a good spot.

Of course, I need to pull this out and read it every day. For some reason, once I wrote it -- I put it aside and didn't look at it after the first few days.

EvilTwin a/k/a Judy

#14025 - 02/22/07 06:34 PM Re: Another way... [Re: EvilTwin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

ET, please post it if you think it will help someone.

Have you asked yourself why you want to quit? Maybe that will help you on your journey. Do you want to quit to be healthier, because it's disgusting, it's expensive, etc. Perhaps if you make a list of all the reasons, it might motivate you to take the next step. I know there are other smolers here who may be intersted in supporting you. SOme women have done this accountability thing with each other in here already.

#14026 - 02/22/07 08:28 PM Re: Another way...
EvilTwin Offline

Dotsie: All those reasons and more. I could sure use an accountability thing with anybody who is interested. So far, I'm not doing very well with this. Here's my poem (which I am reading every day now). I hope it is helpful to somebody (including myself).

DEVOTION/ILLUSION

I devoted so many years of my life to you
and didn’t think I could live without you.
I would have done anything to be with you
or stopped doing anything to spend time with you.

I would have walked miles,
driven hours,
begged complete strangers just to have a moment with you.

I shared everything with you:
my moments of glory
my times of defeat,
laughter and tears,
success and failure.
There wasn’t anything I kept from you.

You were my greatest strength.
My driving force.
My first thought in the morning…
My last at night.
You sustained me.

Or so I thought.

In reality, you were choking the life out of me
Literally and figuratively.

You were a crutch… something to lean on
until my real strength emerged.

An excuse to be used
until the force of reality
could begin to crush the weakness.

An evil ruler
trying to keep me a prisoner
until your forces could extinguish my life.

You have won many battles…
but you are not as strong as you think.
Although you will continue to be a mighty warrior
deserving of my attention and respect…
I want you to know
that I intend to win the war.

Written by EvilTwin/Judy
July 8, 2003
Third Serious Quit Attempt

EvilTwin a/k/a Judy

#14027 - 03/09/07 01:23 PM Re: Another way... [Re: EvilTwin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

ET, I don't knkow how I've missed this every time I've logged on lately. This is a great poem. HOw long ago did you write it?

Any luck with cutting back?

#14028 - 03/12/07 09:38 PM Re: Another way...
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Hi Ladies...I posted in the thread before Christmas. It is National No Smoking Day here on the 14th...so on the 13th(tomorrow!!!) I will smoke my last fag! I know I have said this time and time...but I gotta do this as I am suffering badly enough as is. I can't completely undo the damage but I can halt the progression of P.A.D and keep my asthma under control.

If I have to stand on my head and resite humpty dumpty...then so be it!
Wish me luck ladies

Popea

I hope this thread keeps going
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#14029 - 03/12/07 09:42 PM Re: Another way... [Re: Poppie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh gosh, I sure hope you can quit. I know it will make you feel so much better physically and mentally. You'll be so glad you kicked the habit. Come on Popea. We're cheering for you.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved