The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 164 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#13966 - 02/05/05 05:39 AM Smoking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Has anyone here ever smoked, for years then tried to quit using the over the counter or prescribed drugs?

I'm having such a hard time with this but it's killing me. I can feel it sufficating the life out of me and it's all so unfair to my daughter too.

#13967 - 02/05/05 07:36 AM Re: Smoking
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Sugaree,

Congratulations for wanting to quit! That's your first most important step.
Announcing it to the BWS world was also an important step. We will will be here for you, e-mailing, PM'ing and posting prayers and support. Just stand back and watch.
How do I know? They're doing it for me. I'm almost there.
I haven't tried any drugs,I don't think it would work for me.

chickadee

#13968 - 02/05/05 08:10 AM Re: Smoking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh Chick, not that I'm glad you're a smoker too (wouldn't wish that on anyone now that I understand it) but I'm glad to know that someone understands.

Now that I've witnessed the wars against smoking and read about all of the dangers and the culprits that targeted us despite the health risks have been divulged, I feel mad! Not just at myself for not trying harder all of these years but at the system that solicits such unethical tactics, the deceit.

I recall long ago when the first wars against tobaco started. Videos of folk using ?traches? to inhale their cigarettes was enough to stop me for the rest of the day only.

The subject forced me to recall how and why I started this repulsive behavior in the first place. In short, I was one of those teenagers they discussed as targets.

I was young, 16, staring at this strategically placed billboard dispaying a beautiful woman with her male suitor. I was working in a resturant/bar and had lied about my age so I decided to get some cigs to make me seem age appropriate like the others that smoked there.

I purchased a pack out of the vending machine. On my 30-45min break, I smoked the entire pack not knowing that I was supposed to smoke one or maybe two. Surely enough, I passed out and it was obvious that I wasn't a smoker. Probably the laugh of the week, as a matter of fact.

Shortly after that, my boyfriend, which became my husband later, came home from the service with the habit. The birth of two new life-time smokers. The only and longest times I've ever quit since then are when I was pregnant, twice. That would only be a total of two years out of 20+. How sad. That number of smoking related deaths continue to rise. Geeze!

#13969 - 02/06/05 08:27 AM Re: Smoking
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Sug,
I'm another one! Been trying to quit since the beginning of January. I'm down to about a half a pack aday. Not good enough but it's a big change from my former 2 packs a day. I haven't been really trying to get down further because my husband is on the patch and I think it best if we do it separately. I don't smoke in the house anymore. He is doing great with the patch but I know it won't work for me because I've tried it before and as soon as I drop down to the next stage I always start smoking again. The gum works for me but you have to follow their directions. I've quit 3 times for 6 months each. Don't know why I go back.

Good luck to you in quitting. We are here for you if you need to talk about it. You can PM if you like. Me and Chick have been trying to help each other too!

#13970 - 02/05/05 09:09 PM Re: Smoking
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Congratulations to all of you for working on kicking this habit! My husband is a smoker and first you have to get yourself ready to quit. Sounds like you all are there, he isn't yet.

I'll keep you in my heart and prayers.

#13971 - 02/05/05 10:19 PM Re: Smoking
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Run, don't walk to Amazon and get the book: Alan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. You won't think that it works and he tells you to keep smoking while you're reading the book but when you finish it, you will be an ex smoker. Promise. That's how I quit (I did smoke some the week end my aunt passed away). You won't go through the horrible withdrawals because you'll simply realize that smoking is no longer an option for you. When we continue to have real strong cravings, it's that monster demanding to be fed and they are also an indication that you haven't made up your mind to really quit.

I wore the patch, which he says to not do but it helped me. You can't smoke a cigarette for two hours after you remove the patch (heart attack is possible) and take it off before you go to bed because you will have terrible dreams if you don't.

It worked for me and others so I'm hoping it will for all of you too.

#13972 - 02/06/05 12:08 AM Re: Smoking
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I've never heard of that book Dianne. I'm going to try it. Thanks!

#13973 - 02/11/05 10:13 PM Re: Smoking
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
Okay I confess, I'm another one! Stopped for all my child bearing years....started again during a time of great stress. Never smoke in my house or anyone else's. Never smoke w/ my kids around or in the car or all day at work. But every morning and every evening, puff puff. I just know I'm doing myself incredible harm.

#13974 - 02/12/05 06:01 AM Re: Smoking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Kath, at least you admitted it. Good for you. With all the hoopla about smoking these days, it is very hard to admit that 'something' has that much control over you but you just cant seem to help it. I think we call this 'addiction.'

Unfortunately, admitting it, at least in this case or from my experience, is not half the battle. We have to actively pursuit our health some sort of way. Getting to that point is quite a different tune though.

Did you see one of the latest commercials against smoking where a woman is walking with her hands balled up ready to protect herself as she walks home alone? Before she goes inside, she checks to make sure no one has followed her. Once inside, she locks the doors w/chains. After she checks the mail and a few other things, she sits down, turns the tv on then lights a cigarette.

The narrator chimes in, "She's done all the things should do to protect herself from strangers. Now she needs to protect herself from herself."

Now that was well written and so powerful. But, not powerful enough for me NOT to light the next cig up at my automated time of need.

Pray for me. I will pray for you. We all just need much prayer for this demonic addiction.

[Mad] [Eek!] [Razz]

#13975 - 02/13/05 08:37 AM Re: Smoking
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
If you understand that smoking doesn't do for you, what you think it does, it helps.

It has no power to relax you.

It won't help you when you write, work, whatever but actually robs your brain of oxygen, which stalls your thinking.

Get that book, girl!!!!!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved