The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#139125 - 01/22/08 01:21 AM The New Hair Thread!
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
We need one!
I, am changing my hair tomorrow. I have dark hair, dark brown and it's long. I've grown it beyond my shoulders and it's wavy so I use a hot iron and straighten it most of the time. I have silky hair but a lot of it. It is also asymmetrical so it is long, but sweeps into a long side.
SO~
I'm having my hairdresser come and put on all SORTS of light highlights! I'm doing this to help my gray hair, which I have started to have at 23 years old, grow out without having my roots done so often! I plan on letting these highlights sweep all over my head and give me a bit more around the face to light it up. I feel this way I can let some grow out happen and not worry!

Good times, huh?

So, if you change your hair, how will you change it? So many people want hair ideas and this is a way we cah do it!

Also, if you have changed your hair recently, will you share and describe it to others? It could be a good time!

Hair day,
dancer

"Question your privilege"

#139126 - 01/22/08 06:18 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: dancer9]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Dancer I finally got my hair cut before the holidays. It had been over two years since it had been cut. I usually wear it just over my collar or a bit longer. It feels great to be back to the normal length.

I also colored it again. I hadn't colored it since I had my cancer surgery in October 2006. I also have had gray in my hair since I was about 30. It happens early in our family. I've been blonde for over 20 years and wouldn't think of ever going back brown especially with it mostly all gray/white now. It is harder to take the color and keep it so it means coloring more often. But I don't mind.

I think it's great how you are going to get your hair done. Lucky you to have a lot of hair. My hairdresser told me I have lots of it but it is terribly fine.

I like the idea of a thread on hair since we all have questions or thoughts on ours. Thanks for starting it.
Sandpiper
www.tidedancer.com

#139127 - 01/22/08 07:34 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: Sandpiper]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Great timing for this post, because I have finally made a move that I've been threatening to do for a while! I'm going to color my hair -- which for the record, will be the first time EVER!!!

I'm mostly a Ms. Natural type -- don't like a lot of fuss -- but I bought the hair dye today and will be applying it by the end of the week. I'm thinking I'll just do the front and sides, which are the real silvery areas, and maybe apply it with a comb for a more highlighted look as opposed to more solid.

Oh yes -- bright honkin' purple.

Poet and essayist

#139128 - 01/22/08 11:53 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: meredithbead]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
MB, make sure you do the strand test first, especially since you've never colored before! And especially since you're only considering doing certain areas. You never know how dye of any color will look on your hair...it certainly doesn't always match up with the box! Sorry, I know...unsolicited advice but take it from a veteran! Oh the hair stories I could tell! I'll be calling my hairdresser today (my husband just asked me about it before leaving for work....that's usually a good sign that it's time because he never says anything about my hair!) I need some layering done and trim.

#139129 - 01/22/08 02:08 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: ladyjane]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I love changing the look of my hair. I don't play too much with the color, but keep it in the natural to golden blond area, since I have had some bad color experiences both at home and from a salon. But the cut! In the past 10 years I have had short spikey, very blond hair to long, curly redish blond hair. Right now it's more of a darker natural blond and in a layered arrow cut. I just got this new cut, so I will prbably keep it for a bit.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#139130 - 01/22/08 03:25 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: Anno]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Oh, this is fun! Thanks, dancer!!

My natural color is..well, I don´t really know anymore..grey. But is it salt and peppar or just grey..no idea. I have been coloring my hair for ages. I think it´s fun. Basically, my hair color is black..not blue black..but brown black. And when the spring and summer roll around, I usually like some "slingor in Swedish)..highlights, I guess. They can be deep red or blonde..Meredith..were you serious about "purple"? Interesting thought..hmm.

My hair is kinky curly and usually dry with not too much shine..I have thick strands..still..but I think they are thinning out alittle. I guess I still have quite alot of hair and it´s almost shoulder length. So, my hair is kind of "big". I like to vary what I do with my hair..right now I am into letting it grow.

Ok..advice or tips, Please!!!! For the dry, lack of luster part that is my hair. I don´t mind the curliness anymore. It only took me over 50yrs to accept it and even like it!

Don´t tell me to consider a lighter shade of black or brown color for my hair..have been there, done that, and DON`t like it on me. Not yet. I look too washed out. I still wear black eyeliner..despite what you say, Dancer. So maybe that´s why I need the hair to go with it? Or it´s my high blood pressure that is giving my face color???

O YES.. I have taken the blonde stuff away that you see on my poster picture..it´s all just brown black now. MUCH BETTER!!! I got inspired to do that by some film I saw..but that fad is gone now...

#139131 - 01/22/08 05:33 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: humlan]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I went blonder and had my hair cut in a long bob. I have a lot of gray and you can't color it red or it comes out pink. So, I have light red highlights with mostly blonde.

Let us know how the new "do" comes out dancer.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#139132 - 01/22/08 05:37 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: humlan]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Humlan,
I have curly hair too. I have a love-hate relationship with my curls. When I turned 50, I decided to quit fighting my curls. Right now, I can't decide whether to let my hair grow long or cut it short.

#139133 - 01/22/08 06:36 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: Cookie]
Mountain Ash Offline

I had dark brown hair and made the decision to stop colouring the grey away three years ago.I had a short cut and let it be.
A lovely girl calls every six weeks and she knows my head and hair.What I like about my hair changing is that I suit other colours.mauve and greys and for the first time black..with pearls or a chiffon scarf to soften the black.I wear a hat in this weather so one outside will see my hair.Roll on Spring.
MA

#139134 - 01/23/08 12:14 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: Mountain Ash]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

LadyJane, this is in a clear bottle, and it really looks blue -- and I NEVER wear blue, ok? -- so I kept asking the gal in Sally Beauty Supply if it really truly would be purple and not blue, otherwise I'd mix it with red. I even pointed to something in the store that was the purple I want, and she assured me that this was it. If it turns out blue, I'll go back and get a clear red to put over it.

This is a semi-permanent color that will last 4-5 weeks. The brand is called Color Jamz, and this shade is Not So Shy Violet.

As a light-olive-skinned brunette, there aren't many hair colors I can wear without looking sickly. Purple is good on me. I had a bright purple wig during chemo -- my only wig! -- and it looked great.

Poet and essayist

#139135 - 01/23/08 08:29 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: meredithbead]
humlan Offline

Purple wig during chemo..Meredith you are something else!!!

#139136 - 01/25/08 06:05 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: humlan]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Okay, I can tell I've freaked everyone out because no one else is posting HA! Here's a 1998 pic of me in the purple chemo wig

Poet and essayist

#139137 - 01/25/08 12:01 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: meredithbead]
ladyjane Offline

Oh Meredith, I LOVE it!!! You're so cool, girl! Good for you....keeping up that crazy sense of humor no matter what!

#139138 - 01/25/08 12:16 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: ladyjane]
ladyjane Offline

On Tuesday I'm giving in and going for a body perm again...the first one in 3 years. I'm a little scared actually but I've usually done well with it in past years. I'll have a trim and have it layered up a bit then also.

#139139 - 01/25/08 12:27 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: ladyjane]
Mountain Ash Offline

I had one perm in my life.. Had to have a collegue straighten it every morning to look a bit like myself..I looked like a politican/author here Edwina Currie.she who single handledly caused a crisis in egg production in UK.Salmonela admission..then admitted to a long standing affair with the then Prime Minister.She writes good book. But Id rather have looked like myself..
Perms and me dont mix

#139140 - 01/25/08 01:51 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: Mountain Ash]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I'm envious of you gals with thick, curly hair. I have fine, thin, straight hair. Every four months, I have a perm.
In between, I have it cut at least once. It's short. And I use "Thick 'n Fuller" hair products, after each shampoo: thickening gel, serum, lotion, mousse, and spray. I use a curling iron but cut way back on length of time I curl each curl. I keep it down to 20 seconds, now. The ends were splitting when I held the iron on longer. That seems to help. After a couple weeks, I need to use the iron because the straightness returns in spite of having a perm. That's why I say, "you gals with thick, curly hair are blessed."

Divine Ms. M, I love that purple wig. You're a trip my dear!!!!

#139141 - 01/25/08 03:20 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: jabber]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Meredeth, what a gutsy woman you are! Really! I wish I were more like that. Inside I sometimes feel like a rebel, but am not secure enough to be so different on the outside.

Maybe I have to wait till I’m 80. My grandmother used to say the advantage of being really old is you can do and say what you want;…it’s all forgiven. But you are doing it now! Wow.

#139142 - 01/26/08 11:53 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: Edelweiss]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Wow, meredith. Such creativity.

I think must flatten my hair stylist's creativtiy and frustrate her. She really wants to try some radical short assymetrical cuts on me, where 1 side of hair is 4 inches longer than other side.

I just can't maintain the look after 3 wks. ..my hair grows fast and being active outdoors on bike with helmet on, really complicates things abit. Unless I was wealthy enough to get cuts nearly every month.

So instead, she cut it the shortest ever I had it in my life 3 wks. ago. I nearly shocked myself. But it felt great..not use curling iron ...the hair can be severely swept to 1 side with feathered bangs coming forward towards face,or whatever.

#139143 - 01/27/08 12:23 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: orchid]
yonuh Offline

I have my hair short in back and longer on the sides, and layered. I blow dry the roots and scrunch it with gel - makes me look like I have thick, curly hair. For a change, I blow dry with a round brush for a smoother look, but it doesn't stay as long, even with gel. My hair is baby-fine with no body but some wave. I let my stylist play with cut and color because she knows my hair better than I do- and hers is baby-fine, too. I currently have it Neapolitan ice cream colors (Dark chocolate brown, blonde, and red streaks)!! I used to have streaks of blue, purple, pink, green, whatever - not all at once but one at a time. But the job I have now has a dress code that says hair has to be a 'natural' hair color. I guess one of the front line staff had lime green hair one day (tennis ball green), and the stodgy old board member who saw it freaked out!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#139144 - 01/27/08 12:33 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: yonuh]
dancer9 Offline

Okay, I just saw these answers so give me a bit of time here because I've much to say!
Oh ~ my hair came out perfectly but I had a great hairdresser doing it for me! She comes to my home since my neck injury. It is now dark brown with light brown highlights placed very carefully in the right places. One must think out high lights to get the best results. I might put in low lights next just to mix it up better. I started graying at the age of 21 so I'm used to gray hair here and there! The cut cannot be done yet because I'm going for more length. I need about 2 more inches and it's going to be 4 months any way I look at it because hair grows 1/2 inch a month whether you trim it or not! I have wavy hair that is fine and silky but a LOT of it.

Humlan, If I were you, I'd consider a dark brown color also with a bit of highlight in light brown, lighter brown or if you want to be fun, almost black low lights too. Low lights give hair a dimension that is fantastic if you naturally, like me, have black hair. If your hair is naturally really dark, have it dyed a lighter brown because dark hair ages faces and then have some high or low lights added for interest. I forgot what you said about your hair being curly or not... Can you straighten your hair with a blow dryer?

Meredith, Jazzy colors are great, they wash out but sometimes one must bleach before they add the color. Many kids will bleach out their hair and then add the pink or blue or purple so it will be true. If you do it yourself have a long talk at the beauty supply about how you are going to proceed. At Sally's those people are supposed to have hair licsenses to work there.

The most flattering and versatile cut, according to experts, is the bob where the hair is to your chin. This cut is said to be easiest to work with and flattering to everyone! You can change the way you look in your hair cut by placing highlights or low lights in your hair depending on what you are going for.
If you have high lights near your face it will "light up," your face and it is also good for not showing "wrinkles," (I don't really have them yet but,) it is known that if your fact is showing age, lighten your hair. If you are a natural brunette, lightening your hair should be to a color that works with your eyebrows and lashes! It is easy to go to red if you are a brunette. A bright red can only be achieved by having light hair or bleaching first.

When hair is bleached and it is brown, it will go from brown to red to brass and finally to white. You must be very careful applying it because it can burn your hair right off. I never have my hair bleached unless it's for highlights and then I never do it myself! Bleach is a blondes best friends but doing it yourself is always noticeable because non professional bleach is harsh.

Hair color bought in stores or supply stores has METAL. Metal makes the hair dryer and it builds up on the hair to make it coarser too! If you can make friends with a hairdresser and ask them to buy your color for you, things go better. They have access to good color without metal.

I'll go back and see if any one had any questions but if you do, I was a hair model for 15 years and my grandmother owned a salon in Santa Barbara, California where you can't make a mistake!

How did the new hair turn out for Meredith and Humlan?

Humlan, do you need the name of a good conditioner? What you use on your hair is very important.

dancer9

Edited by dancer9 (01/27/08 12:51 AM)

#139145 - 01/27/08 12:36 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: dancer9]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Meredith, Love the wig. It reminds me of the Halloween Mom had lost her hair due to chemo. We gave her a long purple wig and she roared. We have pictures of her wearing it, but only in the house.

#139146 - 01/27/08 07:11 AM Re: The New Hair Thread!
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

The sales person at Sally's said that my white hair was white enough so the color should come out full-strength in those areas. I don't really have any in-between grays -- just dark brown, fading brown, and silver white. She also said that if I like the look and want it to be more permanent (like 6 weeks instead of 4-5) this brand has a clear glazing product that works to do that.

My business taxes are due this coming Wednesday and I've been spending almost all day this past week in my bead room either inventorying or paperwork zzzzzzzz. Can't do the hair dye on white carpet! LOL At night when I have some free time, I'm not in the mood to sit around with wet stuff on my head. So when I'm done with taxes -- this will be my reward to myself

Yonuh, your hair sounds cool! Some school here was in the news because they expelled a kid with green hair. They made the same noise about "natural colors only." I almost barfed because this is Orange County $$$uburbia, the cosmetic plastic surgery capital of the known universe, and I'd bet any amount of that $$$ that some of the people on the school ruling board had more plastic parts than Robbie the Robot -- so I really don't get the hypocrisy about "natural color."

Dotsie, I'm glad your mother got a good laugh out of this! Laughter, especially during chemo, is a priceless commodity.

#139147 - 01/27/08 09:18 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: meredithbead]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Has anyone ever tried hair extensions? I love to wear my hair up, but with it only chin length, I can't do it. I pass by these things all the time, but haven't indulged yet.

Any experiences to share out there?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#139148 - 01/27/08 05:37 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: Anno]
dancer9 Offline

Anno, I am almost an expert on hair extensions. One of my closest friends is the best in the business in doing them.

Hair extensions from "Hair Loc," are the best. If you have them put on they can last two years or more! They can be washed, cut, combed, brushed, cut, and everything real hair can be. They are real hair.

They are applied with a tool and they take a small amount of hair, about the amount they use to apply a high light and put the hair together with your hair. After that, a little tiny device is "Locked," to put the hair together that is not able to be seen and that does not get in the way of anything. This little devise is a small wrapping sort of thingy that is little as it can be.

Hair can be put all around your head, in cerain spots, in while colors, under, over your hair or in your natural colour so that it can't be detected. You CANNOT tell someone is wearing hair extensions unless they are over applied or appear the next day with masses of hair all of the sudden! You shampoo it regularly like your own hair, you condition it like your own hair and your do whatever you do with your own hair!

It can cost a bit if you want a lot of hair. The price is for the hair and the labor. It takes some time to apply them correctly but for the length of time they last it is worth it.

This is how Britteny (sp,) Spears could cut off all her hair and have long hair the next day!

If you want more info, I can put you in touch with my friend, a "Hair Loc," representative who does it a lot!

It is a good answer for those who want long hair and cannot grow it or for those who don't have a lot of hair and want to have more.

I've never needed them, I've thick hair but my friend wears them all they time and her hair looks as real as mine!

I hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions! I'll provide a link for you shortly...

dancer9

#139149 - 01/27/08 05:55 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: meredithbead]
dancer9 Offline

Meredith, as a half Californian, I am shocked that ORANGE COUNTY, home of the plastic EVERYTHING, can penalize a person for wearing a different color of hair? What THEM??
Nah? Say it isn't so!
dancer9

#139150 - 01/27/08 07:22 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: meredithbead]
humlan Offline

God Meredith...YOU ARE GORGEOUS!! I just saw your foto and you are a stunner!!!! I mean. I just showed it to my 18yr old son who popped his head in the door, asking for food..and he thinks you ROCK!!!! And why don´t I try it????,he asked. I am a former hard rocker..well, I still am one..but I just don´t broadcast as much. Maybe except for the black color in my hair? Of course you can be "punk" with your color!!! WOW:

#139151 - 01/27/08 07:24 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: humlan]
dancer9 Offline

Meredith is actually beautiful in all jewelry too!
dancer

#139152 - 01/27/08 08:14 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: dancer9]
humlan Offline

Yes Dancer, I want some help with GOOD conditioner and some "leave in stuff" that calms my hair. I have used olive oil sometimes which works quite well..but it does kinda pull my hair down..and it feels dirty very fast. I don´t like that feeling at all. I have the kind of hair that is very BIG..but it will flatten out when I put a hat on or something for winter. My hair is thick too..thick/coarse strands I guess. I have always had that kind of hair so it´s not due to age. If anything, my hair is silkier..a bit..because of age.

Thanks for your help..you got a lot going on right now ( referring to another thread).

#139153 - 01/27/08 09:18 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: dancer9]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

thanks to LadyJane, Dancer9 and Humlan!
and Humlan, tell your son I said thanks to him too Humlan, maybe you should start with some streaks like Yonuh. Add just a few in whatever fun colors you like, and see how it suits you. Some of the products are VERY temporary, just a week or so, so if you try them there's no big commitment if you decide to go back to your current look.

Poet and essayist

#139154 - 01/27/08 11:55 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: humlan]
dancer9 Offline

Humlan, You TOO have a lot going on! The way a lot of people handle your hair type is to put a leave in conditioner into your hair and then put gel OVER that conditioner and then let it dry naturally and don't comb it! This way your curls are tame and nice. If you comb it you can make it bigger! You CAN comb it with the recipe if you comb it when the gel is DRY, totally dry! It conditions your hair because the gel locks in the conditioner! Oil will only attract dirt. The only time to use oil is if you are going to wash it out. You should wash your hair every 3rd day as to not add to it's dryness and allow your natural oil to come down through your hair. There are some great leave in conditioners from Aveda. It's leave in is the magic trick for many women here. If you can get it there, I don't know...

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=43351&catid=10726

This product is the best I know from my friends who have really curly hair. It is a good and healthy product and you don't need a lot.

Have you thought of straightening your hair or how curly is it, Humlan?
I can give you more ideas if you give me more details on how curly and how it is cut!

dancer loves this stuff!

#139155 - 01/28/08 12:38 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Hair, hair and more hair. If we have fine and straight, we want thick and curly. I konw I thought I did. I love the purple wig Meredith, I salute your bravery and hupsba!!!

Mine is straight and fine, medium brown with silver and blonde highlights. I am trying to decide what to do for color in April. I may either streak it platinum or go all the way blonde, hummm, what to do???

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#139156 - 01/28/08 06:21 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: chatty lady]
dancer9 Offline

without a doubt, Chatty, streak that fine Italian hair! You are much to fiesty to make it platium all the way around. Also, hair one color has no depth! Go for the gold! Your personality deserves highlights my dear friend with the crocheting magic hands! Creative people have creative hair!
You can streak it
light brown,
platium,(sp,)
or even white!
You could also go red.

I vote for the platium or white, you can pull it off!

dancer

#139157 - 01/28/08 11:33 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: dancer9]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
OMGosh...I just read through all of this and I had no idea that store-bought color had metal in it! Good grief...no wonder my hair has become so dry! And no amount of conditioning seems to help it.

HELP! What can I do, dancer? Well, besides the obvious, which is to make friends with a hairdresser or at least let them do the coloring from now on. But what about conditioning my hair, which is somewhat thick...(not as thick as it use to be) and showing a tad of gray...

#139158 - 01/28/08 11:44 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: jawjaw]
dancer9 Offline

Jaw Jaw,
The best conditioners cost come money. There are fast fixes that are in the drug store but to really have wonderful hair with the hair you have, it takes a bit of money spent.

There is an inbetween line, however that is used by many people and that has a leave in condtioner which I recommended for Humlan. It is by Aveda. If you look at that post you can find that conditioner and it's price is far, most definately. The aveda product line is natural and good.

An upper line winner in conditioner and shampoo is called Pureology and it is an excellent product. I use it myself and I have hair that is wavy and can be dry from highlights that are bleached.

http://www.drugstore.com/search/search_r...p;Ntt=pureology

Yes, to avoid the metal and grow it out is the idea but some of it will come out in the wash if you have someone color your hair from a salon. If you have simple color needs, go for a chain salon that is inexpensive and have them do your roots for awhile and let your somewhat damaged hair recover and grow out.

Spend on your shampoo and conditioner if you can because it is what protects your hair, the first defense and don't wash your hair every day! Wash it every other day or every three days if you can stand it. If you want your hair fresh, take some baby powder and sprinkle it on your hair while hanging it upside down and brush that through. It will take out dirt and oil for you and leave your hair smelling nicely.

dancer

#139159 - 01/28/08 11:48 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: dancer9]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Dancer, thank you. I saw the post on Aveeda and I use those products now. And I don't wash my hair except ONE A WEEK. It is still dry and now I'm thinking the culprit is the color. Your opinion?

PS--which of the Pureology products were your recommending? Sometimes you have to lead me by the hand. I don't mind spending money in this area, as long as I see results, you know? I would love to have my "old" hair back, the texture, the fullness, and have it not so dry and brittle!

#139160 - 01/28/08 11:51 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: jawjaw]
dancer9 Offline

Jaw Jaw,
Okay then, I will put my head under your hair and tell you exactly what I'd do!
I would buy the pureology conditioner and shampoo,(for colored hair, or the one for moisture. I would probably get it for colored hair to make the decision, I am being you, right?,) without question and use them about every other day or third day. I would look into the aveda conditioner if I needed MORE help and use that as a leave in, and I'd do that as fast as I could.
Then I would take my hair to a hairdresser to have my roots done, and I have to do mine every 4 weeks because I have gray! I would not care which hairdresser right now because I only want their colour! lol.
I would get my ends trimmed every 6 weeks no matter WHAT. I would not let anyone talk me out of it.

I would not trust the advise of every hairdresser, they have money in their minds and don't know a lot if they are not schooled further than beauty school...

I would feel really good doing this and think my hair was pretty darn good lookin'!
dancer!

I will look for the exact link to the exact products I would use.

links

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=94180&catid=11936

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=94179&catid=10329

and instead of aveda, since I spend on my hair, I'd get:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=165311&catid=73342

and to tell the honest to God truth, I'd have the Aveda too, (which I do.)

That's what I'd do in your hair.

With warm regards,
Dancer

Edited by dancer9 (01/29/08 12:06 AM)

#139161 - 01/28/08 11:59 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: dancer9]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh cool! The one for moisture and colored hair is probably the one I'm wanting. Great...and also the tip on getting it trimmed every six weeks. I think that is my schedule now, but I'd have to check...but if so, that would fall into what you're suggesting here.

Your help is so appreciated!

#139162 - 01/29/08 12:08 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: jawjaw]
dancer9 Offline

well, I personalized it a bit more and edited it again! After all, I took responsibility for it when I said I would take your hair on my head!
dancer, no problem

#139163 - 01/29/08 12:11 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: dancer9]
dancer9 Offline

Curl definers and hair paste, etc..
These are rockin' products. PlayClay, Bed Head Manipulator, and other pastes are so cool for you hair you would not believe it!
With these products you can tame your curls and make them stand out, and shine.
You can put them on thin hair and it will appear thick,
You can style your hair, it will stay, it will be soft, it can be combed, it can be restyled by just wetting it, and it looks great.

If anyone needs this sort of product or has not tried one, I'll put up a list.

dancer

#139164 - 01/29/08 12:11 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: dancer9]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

So to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, use the conditioners every other day or every third day until I start to see better results with my hair? Or should I continue that routine indefinitely?

#139165 - 01/29/08 12:15 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: jawjaw]
dancer9 Offline

You will be able to feel it, Jaw Jaw, on the first application how it is doing. If it is doing well, I'd use it every third day. If you buy the curl definer, you will be very happy with your results probably by the first time you use it.

Oh, those trims are CRUCIAL! Every 6 weeks. Hair grows a half inch every month, decide how much to trim by that gauge.
You spread the definer in your hands and then apply to your hair and it should make those frizzies die down and make you hair very soft.
This stuff is not for children, it's great, again, I use it. It is for serious conditioning and it really sticks, it smells nice and if you read the reviews, most like it except those with thin hair or not a lot of hair because it's so thick a conditioner.

The reason I would shampoo and condition every three days at least is to give my hair more conditioner sooner. If you waited to shampoo too long, the hair would not be conditioned again until you did shampoo, you see? Also, if you have the curl enhancer working for you, you will be doing your hair a favor!

dancer

Edited by dancer9 (01/29/08 12:20 AM)

#139166 - 01/29/08 12:28 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: dancer9]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I ran into the bathroom to see what I've been using here lately. It is Redken Extend. Is that a no-no?

#139167 - 01/29/08 12:28 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: jawjaw]
dancer9 Offline

Jaw Jaw,
You, personally, need, by the sound of your hair, a high quality, intensive product that is made for hair like yours. You see, we all have different hair like different bodies. Some bodies are tougher than others, some women are stronger than others.. Your hair, like mine, reacts to chemicals like it's been "hit," you see?

You, like I, need to mend out hair after it get's hit when another's hair might have felt a slight bump! Does this make sense?

Redkin is a good product for most. But if you have sensitive hair, you should treat it as you would sensitive anything.

Do you have sensitivities anywhere else on your body? Are you small boned? These things help us to understand our nail type our hair type, etc...

Pureology is not for everyone either. It is not for those whose hair is stronger than ours. Your hair may be curly but it is still sensitive or it would not react as it is to store bought color. Yes, it has metal, but some do better than you and I with metals.

You're special, you see?

Jaw Jaw, Have you tried a vinegar and water rinse yet? A couple cups of waterr to a little bit of vinegar before washing may help with the metal. Try it, and use white vinegar for light hair and red vinegar for dark hair. Try that asap.

dancer

Edited by dancer9 (01/29/08 12:36 AM)

#139168 - 01/29/08 12:37 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: dancer9]
dancer9 Offline

Jaw jaw,
I gave you a backwards recipe for the vinegar and corrected it, see my edit.
It's a little bit of VINEGAR!
d.

#139169 - 02/10/08 11:48 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: dancer9]
dancer9 Offline

Okay, it worked! Here is how we did it:
As I said, I have long dark hair and I wanted almost white high lights in it so that when my gray came in, it would blend with the highlights! It's working!

My hairdresser took pieces of my hair and bleached it out. She had to bleach it forever to take it to white because my natural color is black/brown! I was frightened of the bleach but I was a good sport.

After it was the right color, she took haircolor and did my roots. When my hair had processed, she took the tint and mixed shampoo with it and shampooed it into my hair. This made the white hair a light, light brown because the tint barely touched it. It worked and my hair was dark with very light brown pieces.

Now my hair has grown and some roots are out. She had placed the highlights where I am mostly gray so as my gray grew out, it just melded with the very light pieces in my hair! It is hardly noticeable! I used to have to color at least every four weeks. Now I have gained even a week and it does not look bad if I am late!

There you have it!

I'm about to go asymmetrical, soon, my trademark.

dancer

#139170 - 02/11/08 01:28 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: dancer9]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I've been a redhead all my life and I'm staying that way even though I see those shiny, white thingys coming through. My mom and one cousin went grey at 21.

I had curly hair most of my life, but now in the winter months without as much humidity it's just very wavy and I love it. I'll be looking for help with curly, frizzy stuff this summer.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved