The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#139135 - 01/23/08 08:29 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: meredithbead]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Purple wig during chemo..Meredith you are something else!!!

#139136 - 01/25/08 06:05 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: humlan]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Okay, I can tell I've freaked everyone out because no one else is posting HA! Here's a 1998 pic of me in the purple chemo wig

Poet and essayist

#139137 - 01/25/08 12:01 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: meredithbead]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Oh Meredith, I LOVE it!!! You're so cool, girl! Good for you....keeping up that crazy sense of humor no matter what!

#139138 - 01/25/08 12:16 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: ladyjane]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
On Tuesday I'm giving in and going for a body perm again...the first one in 3 years. I'm a little scared actually but I've usually done well with it in past years. I'll have a trim and have it layered up a bit then also.

#139139 - 01/25/08 12:27 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: ladyjane]
Mountain Ash Offline

I had one perm in my life.. Had to have a collegue straighten it every morning to look a bit like myself..I looked like a politican/author here Edwina Currie.she who single handledly caused a crisis in egg production in UK.Salmonela admission..then admitted to a long standing affair with the then Prime Minister.She writes good book. But Id rather have looked like myself..
Perms and me dont mix

#139140 - 01/25/08 01:51 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: Mountain Ash]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I'm envious of you gals with thick, curly hair. I have fine, thin, straight hair. Every four months, I have a perm.
In between, I have it cut at least once. It's short. And I use "Thick 'n Fuller" hair products, after each shampoo: thickening gel, serum, lotion, mousse, and spray. I use a curling iron but cut way back on length of time I curl each curl. I keep it down to 20 seconds, now. The ends were splitting when I held the iron on longer. That seems to help. After a couple weeks, I need to use the iron because the straightness returns in spite of having a perm. That's why I say, "you gals with thick, curly hair are blessed."

Divine Ms. M, I love that purple wig. You're a trip my dear!!!!

#139141 - 01/25/08 03:20 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: jabber]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Meredeth, what a gutsy woman you are! Really! I wish I were more like that. Inside I sometimes feel like a rebel, but am not secure enough to be so different on the outside.

Maybe I have to wait till I’m 80. My grandmother used to say the advantage of being really old is you can do and say what you want;…it’s all forgiven. But you are doing it now! Wow.

#139142 - 01/26/08 11:53 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: Edelweiss]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Wow, meredith. Such creativity.

I think must flatten my hair stylist's creativtiy and frustrate her. She really wants to try some radical short assymetrical cuts on me, where 1 side of hair is 4 inches longer than other side.

I just can't maintain the look after 3 wks. ..my hair grows fast and being active outdoors on bike with helmet on, really complicates things abit. Unless I was wealthy enough to get cuts nearly every month.

So instead, she cut it the shortest ever I had it in my life 3 wks. ago. I nearly shocked myself. But it felt great..not use curling iron ...the hair can be severely swept to 1 side with feathered bangs coming forward towards face,or whatever.

#139143 - 01/27/08 12:23 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: orchid]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I have my hair short in back and longer on the sides, and layered. I blow dry the roots and scrunch it with gel - makes me look like I have thick, curly hair. For a change, I blow dry with a round brush for a smoother look, but it doesn't stay as long, even with gel. My hair is baby-fine with no body but some wave. I let my stylist play with cut and color because she knows my hair better than I do- and hers is baby-fine, too. I currently have it Neapolitan ice cream colors (Dark chocolate brown, blonde, and red streaks)!! I used to have streaks of blue, purple, pink, green, whatever - not all at once but one at a time. But the job I have now has a dress code that says hair has to be a 'natural' hair color. I guess one of the front line staff had lime green hair one day (tennis ball green), and the stodgy old board member who saw it freaked out!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#139144 - 01/27/08 12:33 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: yonuh]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Okay, I just saw these answers so give me a bit of time here because I've much to say!
Oh ~ my hair came out perfectly but I had a great hairdresser doing it for me! She comes to my home since my neck injury. It is now dark brown with light brown highlights placed very carefully in the right places. One must think out high lights to get the best results. I might put in low lights next just to mix it up better. I started graying at the age of 21 so I'm used to gray hair here and there! The cut cannot be done yet because I'm going for more length. I need about 2 more inches and it's going to be 4 months any way I look at it because hair grows 1/2 inch a month whether you trim it or not! I have wavy hair that is fine and silky but a LOT of it.

Humlan, If I were you, I'd consider a dark brown color also with a bit of highlight in light brown, lighter brown or if you want to be fun, almost black low lights too. Low lights give hair a dimension that is fantastic if you naturally, like me, have black hair. If your hair is naturally really dark, have it dyed a lighter brown because dark hair ages faces and then have some high or low lights added for interest. I forgot what you said about your hair being curly or not... Can you straighten your hair with a blow dryer?

Meredith, Jazzy colors are great, they wash out but sometimes one must bleach before they add the color. Many kids will bleach out their hair and then add the pink or blue or purple so it will be true. If you do it yourself have a long talk at the beauty supply about how you are going to proceed. At Sally's those people are supposed to have hair licsenses to work there.

The most flattering and versatile cut, according to experts, is the bob where the hair is to your chin. This cut is said to be easiest to work with and flattering to everyone! You can change the way you look in your hair cut by placing highlights or low lights in your hair depending on what you are going for.
If you have high lights near your face it will "light up," your face and it is also good for not showing "wrinkles," (I don't really have them yet but,) it is known that if your fact is showing age, lighten your hair. If you are a natural brunette, lightening your hair should be to a color that works with your eyebrows and lashes! It is easy to go to red if you are a brunette. A bright red can only be achieved by having light hair or bleaching first.

When hair is bleached and it is brown, it will go from brown to red to brass and finally to white. You must be very careful applying it because it can burn your hair right off. I never have my hair bleached unless it's for highlights and then I never do it myself! Bleach is a blondes best friends but doing it yourself is always noticeable because non professional bleach is harsh.

Hair color bought in stores or supply stores has METAL. Metal makes the hair dryer and it builds up on the hair to make it coarser too! If you can make friends with a hairdresser and ask them to buy your color for you, things go better. They have access to good color without metal.

I'll go back and see if any one had any questions but if you do, I was a hair model for 15 years and my grandmother owned a salon in Santa Barbara, California where you can't make a mistake!

How did the new hair turn out for Meredith and Humlan?

Humlan, do you need the name of a good conditioner? What you use on your hair is very important.

dancer9

Edited by dancer9 (01/27/08 12:51 AM)

"Question your privilege"

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved