The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 129 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#139125 - 01/22/08 01:21 AM The New Hair Thread!
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
We need one!
I, am changing my hair tomorrow. I have dark hair, dark brown and it's long. I've grown it beyond my shoulders and it's wavy so I use a hot iron and straighten it most of the time. I have silky hair but a lot of it. It is also asymmetrical so it is long, but sweeps into a long side.
SO~
I'm having my hairdresser come and put on all SORTS of light highlights! I'm doing this to help my gray hair, which I have started to have at 23 years old, grow out without having my roots done so often! I plan on letting these highlights sweep all over my head and give me a bit more around the face to light it up. I feel this way I can let some grow out happen and not worry!

Good times, huh?

So, if you change your hair, how will you change it? So many people want hair ideas and this is a way we cah do it!

Also, if you have changed your hair recently, will you share and describe it to others? It could be a good time!

Hair day,
dancer

"Question your privilege"

#139126 - 01/22/08 06:18 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: dancer9]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Dancer I finally got my hair cut before the holidays. It had been over two years since it had been cut. I usually wear it just over my collar or a bit longer. It feels great to be back to the normal length.

I also colored it again. I hadn't colored it since I had my cancer surgery in October 2006. I also have had gray in my hair since I was about 30. It happens early in our family. I've been blonde for over 20 years and wouldn't think of ever going back brown especially with it mostly all gray/white now. It is harder to take the color and keep it so it means coloring more often. But I don't mind.

I think it's great how you are going to get your hair done. Lucky you to have a lot of hair. My hairdresser told me I have lots of it but it is terribly fine.

I like the idea of a thread on hair since we all have questions or thoughts on ours. Thanks for starting it.
Sandpiper
www.tidedancer.com

#139127 - 01/22/08 07:34 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: Sandpiper]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Great timing for this post, because I have finally made a move that I've been threatening to do for a while! I'm going to color my hair -- which for the record, will be the first time EVER!!!

I'm mostly a Ms. Natural type -- don't like a lot of fuss -- but I bought the hair dye today and will be applying it by the end of the week. I'm thinking I'll just do the front and sides, which are the real silvery areas, and maybe apply it with a comb for a more highlighted look as opposed to more solid.

Oh yes -- bright honkin' purple.

Poet and essayist

#139128 - 01/22/08 11:53 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: meredithbead]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
MB, make sure you do the strand test first, especially since you've never colored before! And especially since you're only considering doing certain areas. You never know how dye of any color will look on your hair...it certainly doesn't always match up with the box! Sorry, I know...unsolicited advice but take it from a veteran! Oh the hair stories I could tell! I'll be calling my hairdresser today (my husband just asked me about it before leaving for work....that's usually a good sign that it's time because he never says anything about my hair!) I need some layering done and trim.

#139129 - 01/22/08 02:08 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: ladyjane]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I love changing the look of my hair. I don't play too much with the color, but keep it in the natural to golden blond area, since I have had some bad color experiences both at home and from a salon. But the cut! In the past 10 years I have had short spikey, very blond hair to long, curly redish blond hair. Right now it's more of a darker natural blond and in a layered arrow cut. I just got this new cut, so I will prbably keep it for a bit.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#139130 - 01/22/08 03:25 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: Anno]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Oh, this is fun! Thanks, dancer!!

My natural color is..well, I don´t really know anymore..grey. But is it salt and peppar or just grey..no idea. I have been coloring my hair for ages. I think it´s fun. Basically, my hair color is black..not blue black..but brown black. And when the spring and summer roll around, I usually like some "slingor in Swedish)..highlights, I guess. They can be deep red or blonde..Meredith..were you serious about "purple"? Interesting thought..hmm.

My hair is kinky curly and usually dry with not too much shine..I have thick strands..still..but I think they are thinning out alittle. I guess I still have quite alot of hair and it´s almost shoulder length. So, my hair is kind of "big". I like to vary what I do with my hair..right now I am into letting it grow.

Ok..advice or tips, Please!!!! For the dry, lack of luster part that is my hair. I don´t mind the curliness anymore. It only took me over 50yrs to accept it and even like it!

Don´t tell me to consider a lighter shade of black or brown color for my hair..have been there, done that, and DON`t like it on me. Not yet. I look too washed out. I still wear black eyeliner..despite what you say, Dancer. So maybe that´s why I need the hair to go with it? Or it´s my high blood pressure that is giving my face color???

O YES.. I have taken the blonde stuff away that you see on my poster picture..it´s all just brown black now. MUCH BETTER!!! I got inspired to do that by some film I saw..but that fad is gone now...

#139131 - 01/22/08 05:33 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: humlan]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I went blonder and had my hair cut in a long bob. I have a lot of gray and you can't color it red or it comes out pink. So, I have light red highlights with mostly blonde.

Let us know how the new "do" comes out dancer.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#139132 - 01/22/08 05:37 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: humlan]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Humlan,
I have curly hair too. I have a love-hate relationship with my curls. When I turned 50, I decided to quit fighting my curls. Right now, I can't decide whether to let my hair grow long or cut it short.

#139133 - 01/22/08 06:36 PM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: Cookie]
Mountain Ash Offline

I had dark brown hair and made the decision to stop colouring the grey away three years ago.I had a short cut and let it be.
A lovely girl calls every six weeks and she knows my head and hair.What I like about my hair changing is that I suit other colours.mauve and greys and for the first time black..with pearls or a chiffon scarf to soften the black.I wear a hat in this weather so one outside will see my hair.Roll on Spring.
MA

#139134 - 01/23/08 12:14 AM Re: The New Hair Thread! [Re: Mountain Ash]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
LadyJane, this is in a clear bottle, and it really looks blue -- and I NEVER wear blue, ok? -- so I kept asking the gal in Sally Beauty Supply if it really truly would be purple and not blue, otherwise I'd mix it with red. I even pointed to something in the store that was the purple I want, and she assured me that this was it. If it turns out blue, I'll go back and get a clear red to put over it.

This is a semi-permanent color that will last 4-5 weeks. The brand is called Color Jamz, and this shade is Not So Shy Violet.

As a light-olive-skinned brunette, there aren't many hair colors I can wear without looking sickly. Purple is good on me. I had a bright purple wig during chemo -- my only wig! -- and it looked great.

Poet and essayist

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved