The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#13847 - 05/19/04 05:30 AM Re: tamoxifin?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:
The doctor shared 3 new drugs that were possibilities. We shall see.

I would say, be careful of "new drugs." The newer drugs are very heavily marketed to doctors during the first seven years while the patent is in effect and there is no price competition.

Sometimes new drugs simply don't live up to the hype. Also, the more serious long term side effects may not show up until after several years of use in the general population.

With older drugs, usually the long term side effects have been documented so you can research them online then weigh the risks against the benefits and make an intelligent decision.

Keeping you and your sister in prayer.
smile

#13849 - 05/19/04 11:13 PM Re: tamoxifin?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks for all the insight for my sister. Lots to consider.

Speaker, you're right about the drug reps. My husband is an eye doctor and he has reps dropping off every kind of new drop you can imagine. All anyone knows is what they've been told by reps, who have been told by the drug companies, who are trying to make the big bucks. That's why we need to do our own research.

I've found that we can educate ourselves better than some doctors if we are willing to research.

My youngest sister was famous for this when my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer. She was on every kind of site you could imagine corresponding with people who knew more than she did. At one point she recommended a drug to Mom's doctor for Mom. He reviewed it and thought it wasn't the best drug to try, but thanked her and said he bookmarked the site she recommended because it was one of the best he'd been on and he didn't know about it.

As we've said in here before...we are our best advocates!

#13850 - 05/20/04 02:56 AM Re: tamoxifin?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I know women whose cancer was found on their mammogram, and women who detected it themself. I found my lump via BSE 1 month after a mammogram which said I was totally fine. If I hadn't done BSE I probably would've been dead by now, as I wasn't due for a mammogram for another 2 years.

I say play it safe and do both.

#13851 - 06/04/04 08:30 PM Re: tamoxifin?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Meredith, I have sat through most of my sister's appointments for her cancer and everything you said about the tamoxifen was right on!

Do you mind sharing why you continue to take a prescription drug? Her dctors are talking about 5 years.

#13852 - 06/06/04 03:53 AM Re: tamoxifin?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Dots,
I tripped over this site but on Thursday I saw a promo at Hopkins on Tamoxifen and another drug. They were having an educational seminar for the public but I did nto note when. It was in the Sydney Kimmel Cancer Foundation Center. If that helps and you are interested.

I was shocked to hear about your sister. I ahve been in and out of the forums because life has drug me away. I am so sorry and will put her on my prayer list. What hospital is she working with?

Lynn

#13853 - 06/08/04 07:40 AM Re: tamoxifin?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lynn, thanks for the info. It looks like they are going to choose a drug other than tamoxifen.

She is doing very well. Her doctors are at St. Joe's. By the grace of God this was caught in the very earliest stage. The radiologist tolld her things were fine and to come back in a year. Her gyn didn't cathc it. Her GP saw a change in her mammogram and called her to tell her he thought she should have a biopsy. Sure enough!

She had her lunpectomy and begins chemo next week. The silver lining in this cloud is that she doesn't have to do chemo! 33 radiation treatments and 5 years on a drug.

I am so proud of the way she's managing this. She's a trooper and such a blessing...as always. I love my big sis. Makes me tear up just writing about her! [Wink]

Thanks for your concern. I appreciate it. [Wink]

[ June 07, 2004, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#13854 - 06/22/04 11:47 AM Re: tamoxifin?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Dotsie, to reiterate: I took Tamoxifen for 5 years (the recommended duration) because it lowered a 40% chance of recurrence to 20%. Now I take Femara (Letrozole) because clinical tests show that women who took Tamoxifen for 5 years, then Femara for 3, have a (50%?) lower recurrence and death rate than women who didn't do the Femara. Because of my initial high chance of recurrence, I feel it's worth the risks.

#13855 - 06/14/06 11:25 PM Re: tamoxifin?
Brucejoy Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I am 37 year old and was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 months ago. Everyone was shocked because I am incredibly healthy, active and very small chested. My cancer was found on a mammogram. It was so small I could not feel it. Even my primary doctor (after seeing the placement on the mammogram) could not feel it. I opted to have a bilateral mastectomy and am currently going through reconstruction. The mammogram likely saved my life or at least saved me from going through chemo. I would recommend anyone over 30 to get them yearly.

Susan Stewart
http://www.perfectlyplaced.org

#13856 - 06/15/06 03:38 AM Re: tamoxifin?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Susan, I'm so sorry to hear of your battle with breast cancer. My Mom went through that, as did several other female relatives, so I have to get a mammogram every year now. Your experience and reinforcement of the need for mammograms could very well save a life here. Thank you for sharing.

#13857 - 06/15/06 03:43 AM Re: tamoxifin?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Brucejoy, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your knowledge on this subject. I will add you to the prayer circle....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved